WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Burying the nose on a Harley & S4 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=794619)

sbt3 07-20-2012 4:46 AM

Burying the nose on a Harley & S4

I have a 139 Harley Grind that I just got. I tested a Harley regular base for about 1 week before I bought the grind. I assumed there would be no difference between the 2 other than the base. For some reason I bury the nose in the wake on the grind whenever I do a backroll or roll to revert and also catch it more on a few other trick but those are the ones that it is most noticeable on. I usually take a really short hard cut on those tricks.

This only happens when I ride with my bindings all the way out which is where I am most comfortable riding. If I move them one in from the last hole then it doesn't happen. I also have this same problem on my regular base S4 138 but... I also have a 139 Lyman where I ride all the way out and never bury the nose on that board. So I don't think it's my cut plus I've been doing those tricks for 10+ years and never had that problem.

The Harley kind of makes me mad since I tested it and didn't have the problem originally. The only difference I can see is the SX slider fines the grind comes with vs the RX regular fins. I'm going to try some RX fins to see if this makes a difference.

Does anyone else have any similar experience with these boards?
I

Readyaimfire 07-31-2012 4:11 PM

I would say go up a size. Sounds like u don't have enough tip and tail for your stance width.

07-31-2012 4:43 PM

How big are you?

sbt3 08-01-2012 4:34 AM

I'm 5'8" and around 148lbs. I'm almost wondering if I'm too light for it and not sinking the tail down enough. I rode my buddies 142 shane hybrid and had same problem. I think I'm just going to use the harley at the cable park and stick with my Lyman for the wake.

shredthagnar 08-01-2012 5:16 AM

I'm the same height and weigh about 135 wet and I was riding a 137 for a while and I never hurried the nose but it was hard to maneuver. Now I have a 135 and I can throw that thing much easier. I also have a 136 that is equally as sick. I'd say go down to a 136. If u check any weight to size chart the weights overlap on sizes cause it is all about preference but 145 lbs will fit into the 135 to 139 range.

wakebordr11 08-01-2012 1:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbt3 (Post 1769440)
I have a 139 Harley Grind that I just got. I tested a Harley regular base for about 1 week before I bought the grind. I assumed there would be no difference between the 2 other than the base. For some reason I bury the nose in the wake on the grind whenever I do a backroll or roll to revert and also catch it more on a few other trick but those are the ones that it is most noticeable on. I usually take a really short hard cut on those tricks.

This only happens when I ride with my bindings all the way out which is where I am most comfortable riding. If I move them one in from the last hole then it doesn't happen. I also have this same problem on my regular base S4 138 but... I also have a 139 Lyman where I ride all the way out and never bury the nose on that board. So I don't think it's my cut plus I've been doing those tricks for 10+ years and never had that problem.

The Harley kind of makes me mad since I tested it and didn't have the problem originally. The only difference I can see is the SX slider fines the grind comes with vs the RX regular fins. I'm going to try some RX fins to see if this makes a difference.

Does anyone else have any similar experience with these boards?
I

I think it's in your head. Keep your hips up and hold on with 2 hands to control the flip. A 139 vs a smaller board isn't going to matter that much and to the person saying 137 vs 136 with 136 being better, If I threw a random board at you that was 136, then 137 you wouldn't know the difference without a tape, 10mm is less than a half inch.

wakebordr11 08-01-2012 1:21 PM

And Jay, what board were you riding, fins, stance, tons of different things come into play, board type, in how one maneuvers, you weren't riding the SAME board at a 137 vs 135... Maybe the 135, whatever board that was, just happened to be a better board for you... Some boards ride deeper, some higher etc.