WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archive through August 27, 2006 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=364702)
-   -   383 stroker motors (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=349041)

jaybird 07-23-2006 8:09 PM

Looking for as much feedback as I can get on a 383 stroker motor for my boat. I am pulling my motor on wednesday morning and having a 383 built I am trying to find out what cam would be best for general boating and wakeboarding. <BR>Or if any of you know of a NONBIAST boat motor builder that I could yak at a little, that info would be good as well. <BR>Thanks in advance <BR>JJ

jeff359 07-23-2006 8:34 PM

For wakeboarding, a good idea. Extra weight, you need extra power. Big block torque, in a small block package....sounds good to me. I don't know much on stats or how to, but it only makes since. <BR> <BR>That build has been done for years, even mass production marine. Spend the extra money, much better than a standard 350.

jeff359 07-23-2006 8:35 PM

For wakeboarding, a good idea. Extra weight, you need extra power. Big block torque, in a small block package....sounds good to me. I don't know much on stats or how to, but it only makes since. <BR> <BR>That build has been done for years, even mass production marine. Spend the extra money, much better than a standard 350. I'd say truck type profile on the cam, but hell, I don't know

peter_c 07-23-2006 9:02 PM

Forget it. You are going to be spending so much money building one that it would cost only a little more to purchase a 383 crate motor. I was discussing the 383 on Friday with a machine shop and to do it right takes way to many hours of clearencing. Also the custom cranks of decent quality are very expensive. The engine builder specializes in hot rod motors FWIW and builds mostly big blocks for his customers. Of course half of them have blowers. <BR> <BR>Simple cure just put a big block in it! There is no replacement for displacement.

jaybird 07-23-2006 9:31 PM

Peter <BR>the one I am looking at will have forged pistens forged SCAT crank HP lifters hardened rods and the cam of my choice with HP heads and HP springs. ballanced and blueprinted + marinized on a four bolt main for $2000 and change. the guy I am having build it thats all he does is builds 383's I dont think I can beat it <BR>Do you??? <BR>JJ

peter_c 07-23-2006 10:06 PM

Are you sure that is for a forged 4340 scat crank? Even still I would look to another brand of higher quality. A good quality crank will be over 1/3 of your budget there. Often the price to rebuild vs purchase a new engine comes out very close. $2000 is way to conservative to purchase just even the parts needed. You should be looking at hundreds of dollars into each cylinder head with parts and labor. Especially if he is going to port the heads. <BR> <BR>Not that there isn't one out there, but I have not met anyone who does very many 383's and we have some of the top engine builders around. The 383 is one of my favorite motors. Light and fast, but I am a big block guy when it comes to power. <BR> <BR>Here is Chevys factory <a href="http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=NAL-12498772&amp;N=1012&amp;Nao=0&amp;autoview=sku" target="_blank">383 Crate Motor</a>

jaybird 07-23-2006 10:48 PM

the heads are ported and polished. as for the crank 4340 I am not sure I will find out. what brand crank would you suggest?? that is the quote I got from him and he said he builds 12 motors a month most all are 383's. <BR>I love your quote "no replacement for displacement" <BR>aint that the truth. But my alpha 1 outdrive wouldnt handle it. now a bravo 1,2 or 3 thats a different story. know of anyone who has on for sale. <BR>JJ

mikeski 07-24-2006 12:10 AM

The idea of building a new motor is fun and exciting. But don't lose track of the big picture. What is your boat really worth? I know that you have a great deal of personal labor into the boat but it's not new right? I agree with Peter that $2k does not sound realistic. One of the local speed and machine shops did a very mild big block rebuild for one of the flatbottoms we used to run. The job was quoted at $2500 but lots of things needed additional attention once they started putting things back together. We had a choice of paying them $1k for a box of used parts or putting it back together. We chose the latter. If I were faced with the delimna today I would go with the known right out of the gate. <BR> <BR>If I were in your situation I might consider going with a basic rebuild, a refreshed junkyard motor, or a crate motor. Lot's of guys don't trust junkyard motors, but I have had great luck with them in several vehicles (not even refreshed).

jaybird 07-24-2006 9:44 PM

thanks for the input. I spoke with the motor builder in great lengths today the crank is not forged its cast and the pistons are high pro I am going to up grade the heads to a better aftermarket head and I will end up spending 3000 on the motor this I know. the good thing is Mike if I end up in your delima I get to walk away. he is using a seasond block. But just not mine the only thing he is using of mine is the fly wheel. I feel good about the deal and the guy Really knows his s%$# and has been doing this for a loong time as far as what the boat is worth I dont really have that much in it I bought it for next to nothing I have more in the tower bimini and swim platform than in the boat. and for the price of boats these days forget it $40000 for a Sanger no thanks I could put a new motor in this boat every three years and still be money ahead <BR>again thanks for the input guys <BR>JJ

schackdaddy 07-25-2006 9:10 AM

you want a forged crank and since your putting the money in it make sure you get your crank balanced as well. I would have a 383 built instead of a crate as your doing, but the people I know that build them build high HP and torque motors for dragsters, which aren't built for long (500 + hr) durability like a boat needs. Good choice on the motor, 383's are worth every penny if built right.

schackdaddy 07-25-2006 9:11 AM

Using forged Vortex Heads?