WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   help with my 9year old son (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=782811)

gravity 08-17-2010 10:52 PM

help with my 9year old son

Ok guys I need some help. A couple weeks ago my son got up on his first pull. He never stood up but rode it for 50 yards or so he stayed crouched and did great. I really thought from there he would be able to stand up if I just pulled him a little faster. The problem is we have tryed the last three times we have gone to the lake and he can't seem to get out of the water. He is great a getting set up and telling me to get the line tight then saying to go. So he seems to be letting go of the handle as he goes over the front of the board. Is it me taking off too fast or is it something he is doing? He knows to relax and let the boat do the work keep knees bent arms strait. He did so good and now we are at a stand still. Any help would be great. Or if you need more infolet me know. Thanks from both of us.

hawk22 08-17-2010 11:05 PM

I'm no expert, but both my 6 and 9 year old can wakeboard . They both started last year when they were 5 and 8. They basically just get up and ride. The naturally go outside the wake right now because they ride that back edge. I find very slow starts work fine because it takes nothing to get someone that small out of the water and I only cruise between 13-15 mph while they are riding. That small they are barely learning edge control and slower keeps the crashes less impact. I don't know exactly what methods you are using, but keep it slow would be my only advice...

hawk22 08-17-2010 11:10 PM

also, I taught both my kids on land first because they get that resistance feeling. the ground naturally grabs the edge of the board with their weight against it. Pull them up so they feel that pull of rolling to the top of the board. And if you have shallow shore near by I progressed from land to pulling them up in shallow water with just myself pulling the rope. That, in itself, shows how little speed you need to pull them out of water so keep that in mind when they are behind the boat.

I've heard some people suggest starting children in a tube. We tried that but didn't work for either of our kids. The land training I think was key.

somebuddy 08-18-2010 9:41 AM

I tell my daughter to put her knees to her chest and keep her butt down. Until I told her that she would get pulled over the front every time. You can start out super slow too.

dirtrider 08-18-2010 10:15 AM

Tell him to let the board slide all the way to his butt while pointing his toes toward the boat. Don't take off to fast, he really doesn't need much speed to get on top of the water. If he already got up to the crouching position once see if he can do that again, he might be thinking too much about standing up. Have him
ride around a little in the crouch, once he gets a feel for being on top of the board standing up will be no problem

stxr_racer 08-18-2010 3:47 PM

It could be you're taking off a little fast? Also, if he pulls the handle as you start he will fall backward - if he trys to stand up too early and before the board is planing he will fall forward. To pop up his job is to be nice and relaxed, get the board down and underneath him as you start, remain in a relaxed crouched position then let the boat do all the work! Here;s a little vid of my kids getting up, as you will see the start is smooth and not rushed...good luck!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-7YXX42Ha0

bogiedog1 08-18-2010 4:31 PM

My kid did the same thing in late summer as 10 year old, then couldn't get up the rest of the summer, doing the same thing as your kid, getting pulled over the front or kind of get up and then lose the board to the side.

With kids, you give them all that data on what to do but the key is to get them to actually remember to do those things; I think they get overwhelmed in the water and even though they know what to do its hard for them to actually do it at that moment. I say keep it simple and positive so they want to keep trying.

I would say +1 to what Bevan said too, it is amazing how little gas you have to give the boat to pull a grom out of the water.

The next spring my kid got it all together early on and all was good.

wakedad33 08-18-2010 4:44 PM

Chris, sent you a PM.

cccbuilders 08-18-2010 4:47 PM

Have him count to 5 before standing up....... and like the others said throttle really slow and easy....... and for starters like 14mph is plenty. I have done this with my kids at 5 when they 1st started.

gravity 08-18-2010 5:16 PM

thanks for the help. i think i might be taking off to quick and ripping it out of his hands. i also think he is over thinking it. threre is a fine line between explaining it to him and him thinking im i know it all.

kko13 08-18-2010 6:24 PM

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showt...highlight=kids
Chris I am not sure the last time you read this post but more good info on what your looking for. The pool work I talk about in this thread really helped my daughter with the getting into the stand up postion. It helps to do it in the pool so you can talk and try again right away. Slow start is the key as well.

gravity 08-20-2010 4:36 PM

thanks for the help i hope to get on the lake soon. i will keep you posted