WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Board for intermediate rider (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=800958)

dgk30 01-23-2014 10:41 AM

Board for intermediate rider

Just joined and would like to get some advice on a new board. I learned how to wakeboard in highschool I am 24 now, but I have been off and on wakeboarding since. Last year I decided to buy a used board just to have around the lake house, I always previously rode with friends. I cant do any tricks nor have I really tried, but I get up easy carve easy and jump small wake pretty easily, no problems at all on the basics. I would like to start progressing to jumping larger wake and learning backrolls, 180's, etc.. now that I have a boat and some guys to ride with. I have been riding an Obrien Ace and its pretty easy to ride but its a little old and beat up. I want to get myself a nice high end board to start progressing with. I dont think I am ready for a true 3 stage rocker yet. But I do want really good pop as I wont always have that big wake to ride. I have my eye on the 2011 Hyperlite Marek bio. Seems like a great board to progress with, would this be good for me or is it too much of a pro model board that I may have some trouble with it, or do you guys think I should jump on a board with a 3 stage rocketr like a liquid force Harley. I understand the rocker isnt going to make the biggest difference and a board like this wont magically make me do great tricks but I see it as a way of progression in learning how to ride well on a high end board. Also, what do you all think for bindings?

wakedaveup 01-23-2014 10:54 AM

Welcome to the site. Personal opionion, the Marek may be a little faster than you'd like. I would check out the LF Trip, CWB Pure (if they still make it, great board), or Hyperlite B-side. If you don't want to go with a strictly 3-stage board they make a lot of blended rockers and hybrids now. Start with these 3 boards from different brands and see if any descriptions fit your riding style. Good luck

Hyprsol 01-23-2014 9:31 PM

You may also want to consider the Ronix Vault. I have had multiple riders make huge progress since we bought a Vault at the beginning of last season.

dezul 01-24-2014 3:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakedaveup (Post 1861539)
Welcome to the site. Personal opionion, the Marek may be a little faster than you'd like. I would check out the LF Trip, CWB Pure (if they still make it, great board), or Hyperlite B-side. If you don't want to go with a strictly 3-stage board they make a lot of blended rockers and hybrids now. Start with these 3 boards from different brands and see if any descriptions fit your riding style. Good luck

All of these are good suggestions. What is your height and weight? We should be able to get you dialed in on a board. Also dont pay attention to the fussing on here. We all really love each other no matter how much we bicker back and forth about different boats.

jhartt3 01-24-2014 5:44 AM

The VAULT is LEGIT. so locked in. made going w2w both ways so easy... its hard to fall on this board. Even with the huge fins taken off

dgk30 01-24-2014 5:53 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions, I am 5'10" and weigh about 165.

Kane 01-24-2014 6:23 AM

I'd say you are looking for a board in the 140cm category, the Ronix Vault would be great but I think the higher end Ronix Viva would really be good for you also for what it's worth.

on_wi 01-24-2014 6:55 AM

I always see a lot of love for Ronix on this site. Is the general opinion that they make a better product than, say, CWB? For example, would a Ronix District Park be something you'd buy before a CWB Transcend? (Both are 3-stage hybrids with a 2014 list price of $400). TIA.

dgk30 01-24-2014 7:46 AM

Would anyone venture to say that the Ronix Vault will be so "user friendly" that once I get on a board without all the user friendly options, I may struggle? Seems the vault is an unconventional board made to help make everything easier I just don't want to be set back later when I change boards.

awakewilson 01-24-2014 8:28 AM

I think that you should go with a three stage rocker. When I was learning I went from a $70 board for beginners up to a Watson Classic and I have to say that the Watson i went to was a lot smother ride and was much easier to jump, carv, and just all around ride on. I think it is a waste of money to get an intermediate board because all you are gonna do from this point on is get better. Buy the 3 stage now instead of buying a intermediate now and a advanced later.

williamburell 01-24-2014 8:41 AM

I'm probably about the same skill level you are. I was riding an older crappier board and last season bought a watson classic. A month later I tried a buddies slingshot response and loved it. Now riding a reflex. I like some surface tricks and my knees are shot so flex boards are my friends. It made me relearn alot of things I was doing with inproper technique though. Might be worth it to take a demo on one. Prob the most fun and playful board I've ridden but I also hate the "locked in" feeling

MNRIDER 01-26-2014 5:20 AM

+1 for the vault. It will help you progress toe side. No, you won't forget how to hit toe side on another board.

Lots of good advice out there!

tahoeguy7 01-27-2014 9:10 AM

I agree with Andrew. Pick out a pro model that you want and go for it. Don't waste time on intermediate boards if you eventually want to move up.

nnorthf2 01-28-2014 3:52 PM

I have to say that although a 3-stage board, the 2014 LF Classic, which used to be Watson's pro model board, has to be one of the best riding and most user friendly boards on the market. It has really good pop but isn't too aggressive. It is a great board to take your riding to the next level.

Although I would personally recommend some closed toe Ronix boots for this board, it does come in a cost efficient Package for $379 if you are trying to save a little $$.