WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Vibe vs. Paradigm vs. Monarch vs. Parks vs. Another SS (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=793722)

sidekicknicholas 06-04-2012 9:52 AM

Vibe vs. Paradigm vs. Monarch vs. Parks vs. Another SS

I've got a feeling my slingshot recoil is down to its last few sets before it finally dies, so I figured I should start shopping for something new.....

I've really like riding the recoil - for the last 3-4 years but may want to switch it up now.....
I rode the Roam for like 2 years before going to slingshot, so I've been on flexboards for a long time now.... just wondering if it might be time to try something stiff again (thats what she said).

... I rode the Monarch before and loved it but this was only at the cable when I lived in Florida, now that I am in Wisco again cable riding is like 5% of my riding.

Any suggestions or comments on the boards listed above, I'm open to other suggestions but would like the following:

Loose (I usually ride my slingshot finless) - I can edge with fins
3-stage rocker - this rocker + old 210 wake is great for going straight up and down.... not a big fan of landing in the flats unless I have to
Low swing weight - spinning is tough for me as it is, so hoping on some tank of board probably won't help me

skiboarder 06-04-2012 10:06 AM

I rode a monarch for one season and really liked it. If I were to get one, I would try to find a 2009. They were still PVC cores back then and I think the binding configuration fits modern (6") bindings. The 2008 is set up for 8 inch.

As for your special requests, consider the following.

Loose: Something with removable fins will give you the most flexibility to dial-in how you want it to ride
3 stage: 3 stage can be decieving. Not all 3 stages are slow (poppy). Make sure you try a few before you commit.
Low swing weight: the easiest way to drop swing weight is to drop a size or at least ride a board that your weight is on the high end for.

sidekicknicholas 06-04-2012 10:26 AM

Quote:

Loose (I usually ride my slingshot finless) - I can edge with fins
<--- this was suppose to say "I can edge without fins" .... I haven't had a board with fins/bottom features in about 5 years

logan 06-04-2012 9:07 PM

Check out the Slingshot Hooke. I bet you would feel super comfortable on it and it will be more aggressive than your recoil.

tahoeguy7 06-05-2012 8:49 AM

You may want to look into the Byerly Blunt. It is basically a stiff board, but it does have some flext to it. Especially on the tip and tail. I have been riding it behind the boat and love it.

TheHebrewHammer 06-05-2012 11:38 AM

A slightly lower swing weight will not help you. I used to think the same thing, so I bought a board that's a little too small for me. The landings are hard and it didn't make me any better at spinning. Now, I realize it was never the board that was holding me back. If you want to spin well, it's all on you.

wakerider111 06-05-2012 10:51 PM

Slingshot Lyman maybe!

logan 06-05-2012 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakerider111 (Post 1757684)
Slingshot Lyman maybe!

He wants a loose board, in my experience with my Lyman it's not loose. Not super locked in but nowhere near my recoil.

sidekicknicholas 06-06-2012 5:57 AM

Quote:

A slightly lower swing weight will not help you
Tell that to my time spent riding the old 3DS

Quote:

Slingshot Lyman maybe!
I've tried this board once before (not much of a sampling) but it was almost too fast and did feel really locked in.

sidekicknicholas 06-06-2012 5:59 AM

Quote:

You may want to look into the Byerly Blunt. It is basically a stiff board, but it does have some flext to it. Especially on the tip and tail. I have been riding it behind the boat and love it.
Hopefully someone local has on for a demo - sounds like it could be a winner.

FWIW my favorite board of all time, bar none, an old DNA core Hyperlite Byerly.... It was green and had a witch being burned on it..... best board ever made.