WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Non-Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4387)
-   -   iPad Review (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=784821)

11-18-2010 11:37 AM

iPad Review

Do any wakeworlders have experience with the iPad? I have the iPhone (3GS) and a home computer, and actually find myself using my phone more to browse the internet and read blogs, etc... than my home computer.

I think I will like the iPad, what are everyone's experience, is it worth it? I would probably just get the wifi 16 gig version.

Are there any better alternatives in the same price range?

stephan 11-18-2010 11:41 AM

I'm like you, I never use my computer anymore, just fire things up on my iPhone. I don't have an iPad but have used it many a times. The thing is awesome. Especially for how cheap they are, nothing beats it for sitting on the couch and perusing the web etc. I think I'm going to get one for the office so when a client comes in I can just hand them the thing and have their report and illustrations come up in their hands.

trevorg7 11-18-2010 12:02 PM

I have one and like it. It is a good blend of an eReader, computer, web access.

Since I don't own an iPhone (work issues Blackberry) I enjoy all the functions of the iphone...just in a larger format. I find it most useful when traveling and the added 3G is great when there is no connectivity. The eReader is great too, I've downloaded a handful of books. You can increase font, bookmark, etc. but the coolest feature on the eReader is the dictionary. Don't know a word, tap it and you can look it up with the interrogated dictionary.

The worst thing about it is the keyboard. The functionality of it is great but the usability is lacking.

For an eReader, web access, email, browser, music, games, etc. machine it is great.

T

pesos 11-18-2010 12:28 PM

It is great for what it does. Don't expect it to replace your computer. It can now stream to the AppleTV (new one) which can be handy.

baldboarder 11-18-2010 7:05 PM

Just like Wes says, "It's great for what it does." I'm not an expert. I don't have an I-Phone or blackberry. So I cannot comment how it compares. I have had Mobile-Web. I like the I-Pad much better because the I-Pad screen is much larger and easier to navigate and see than my phone with Mobile Web. The I-Pad is smaller and easier to carry than my laptop. The problem with the I-Pad is that you can only run Safari Web Browser. It cannot run Firefox. My MacBook Pro can run both Safari and Firefox. With Firefox, I can run internet streaming Video whereas it is extremely limited with Safari. With Firefox, I can watch Football Games, Basketball Games, and TV shows where I cannot with Safari. I can also listen to Sirius Internet Radio with Firefox where I cannot with Safari. In review, that I-Pad is great for basic internet but it won't totally replace my MacBook Pro.

phatboypimp 11-18-2010 9:51 PM

I have had an ipad since they first came out. It is certainly a cool toy (which is why I bought it) but it is excellent for travel. I can take my music, movies, magazines, books and a very cool way to surf the web when I travel. I HATE typing on it, I mean HATE it. I wont even write a 10 word sentence on email, it just totally blows. People at my office have the bluetooth keyboard which is tolerable, but I use my MacBook Air when doing most of those things around the house. I loaded the Kindle app on mine and it syncs my books with my kindle and my blackberry. As an ereader compared to the kindle, it is way too heavy for extended reading. The interface is nice and the back light comes in handy but the glare is miserable.

Great games if you are a gamer, I am not. The Wall Street Journal app is by far the best app at the app store in my opinion. Comes in handy if you need to distract a kid or two.

WARNING: I bought the 16G wifi (no need for cellular unless you are always traveling) and 16G is not enough space. between two standard def movies a few apps and some music, it is constantly filled up and unable to take what I need it to take.

sordave 11-19-2010 5:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baldboarder (Post 1646797)
I can also listen to Sirius Internet Radio with Firefox where I cannot with Safari..

I have an app called Pocket Tunes which lets me listen to Sirius (gotta have my daily Howard fix) on my Iphone. It was $5-$10.

migs 11-19-2010 7:53 AM

great for watching netflix streaming vids in bed. great for reading & surfing the net. Thats about all I use it for. I use my laptop when i need to actually do work & type.