WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Ronix Viva vs Byerly Conspiracy as cable board? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=778360)

01CableRat 04-08-2010 7:13 PM

Ronix Viva vs Byerly Conspiracy as cable board?

Need a new setup for cable and was contemplating either the Byerly Conspiracy or the Ronix Viva, anybody used either of these boards for cable? How did you like it?

Tried the Ronix One and Bill at cable and not a fan, but the Viva looks like a better cable shape

tom_paz 04-16-2010 9:41 AM

I have ridden both of these boards on the boat, and the conspiracy on the cable. the conspiracy is a very fast, very stable ride, that doesnt feel locked into the water. plus it is the most bulletproof, impact resistant board on the planet. the edges are a solid fiberglass rope infused with resin so there is no seam to split open ever. i've dropped mine down a small flight of stairs outside OWC and other than some surface scratches, there was NO structural damage. also the molded fins are a hard durometer abs plastic so they are super durable and solid so they can be slid down to little stumps before any foam from the core shows through. the plastic is so tough that in the two weeks i slid it at Odub and Rixen they actually shaved a bit of the pvc off the kickers instead of the kickers shaving down the fins. however this was only two weeks of use, id imagine the fins would wear eventually over time.

as for air tricks, i learned air r2r and raley from sratch riding this board so the speed and solid edge hold are there, and since the fins cut away from the tail, the release is really quick. i friggin loved this board on both cable and boat, and am super stoked to have one board for every type of riding.

now ive only ridden the viva behind the boat and only for one set, and while it was fast, to me it did not seem very stable to me right off the bat. and i used to ride chad's previous shapes for 2 years, but this one just wasnt my cup of tea. i dont know how it would hold up on the cable.

hope this helps.

kristian 04-16-2010 3:37 PM

Sorry to be a pain in the backside but I'm gonna have to completely disagree with the "bullet-proof" part of that statement. A few good nose presses with the conspiracy and it snaps like glass. Haven't seen one in the hands of a good rail riders last more than a couple days, seriously. I was expecting a super durable board out of the conspiracy. Was surprised when that didn't turn out to be the case. If you want a Byerly and Durable then get the assault. Its a really good all round board and pretty tough.

Personally I ride the Bill (Sometimes the Ibex) and LOVE! it. I find it holds up real well. I have a friend who's been riding the Viva for some time and its holding up well. I've ridden it a few times and really liked it and think the option of removable fins for cable is the way to go. Fins are cheaper than boards. I found it pretty stable, solid on rails and good on air tricks. Good for pressing too (which is the most important part for me, haha) The sintered base is great!

But we all ride different so try and demo some more and see what fits you.

kristian 04-16-2010 3:45 PM

p.s. They both have the resin rope edge.

coreym 04-16-2010 7:27 PM

Does glass break at 1700+ lbs? If so, then yes, the Conspiracy breaks like glass. (Reinforced fin rope fiber-glass) I snapped it myself on the board breaker. I have some film of it and when I am done with it I will post it to the Hyperlite Wake MFG facebook page and post the link here if it is OK with Dave W.

Corey M @ Hyperlite

kristian 04-16-2010 7:48 PM

Hey man I don't mean to stir anything up, just stating what I've observed over the past season down here and suggesting if he wants Byerly for cable go with the assault.

tom_paz 04-17-2010 6:42 AM

they must have had some pre-production models or something of the conspiracy that broke early, because even your average PU core board lasts longer than a couple of presses. perhaps there is some exaggerating here. i have seen many people who rent conspiracys at o-dub, some of them even beginners who have no idea how to hit rails and just smash into things and the boards held up great. the conspiracy has twice the glass rope that the assault does.

and i have pressed nose and tail many times on rails at o-dub and rixen as well as a step-up rail jam at a boat show this winter and my board has almost no scars to show for it and definitely no signs of breakage. this board is tough, make no mistake, mine is a flippin' tank. those breakages must be the exception to the rule.

kristian - for the record Im not saying they didnt break on your friends, because after all nothing is perfect!

dlwsrider 04-17-2010 1:19 PM

Definitely a check for the Bill. I know it's not on your list, but it is a sick board for all aspects of riding, but especially cable.

shredthagnar 07-17-2012 6:31 AM

The viva has a carbon x in the center of it. No flex at all. I have one and love it behind the boat. But I refuse to take it to the park. I ride my Watson at the park it has more flex in it

tahoeguy7 07-17-2012 7:30 AM

The Byerly Blunt has been hyped up as their "park board" the last two years. I love it behind the boat, but haven't had a chance to get it on the cable yet. It has some nice flex in the tip and tail. Also, I am pretty sure Rathy was riding it for the Red Bull Wake Open. I think it is worth a look if you are wanting to go with a Byerly.

jburbo 07-17-2012 8:05 AM

PMd you, i have a board that might work out for you