WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   Upgrading to a direct drive, thoguht on 93-98 Sport Nautiques and others? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=782228)

cadunkle 07-31-2010 11:37 AM

Upgrading to a direct drive, thoguht on 93-98 Sport Nautiques and others?

I've been looking at direct drives to upgrade from my I/O. Thinking around $10k but I can stretch that a bit more without overextending myself and maybe more if I do financing. Not sure how that works on boats, asked around and have been told twice they won't finance me for a used boat late 90s-early 2000s but no problem to finance a new wake boat, so pretty much gave up on financing a used boat.

Missed a good deal on a 2001 Moomba and another awesome deal on a ProStar 205 while I was on vacation last week. I see a few Sport Nautiques (open bow) that I'm interested in. A 95, a 96, and a 98. I like that there's no wood on them to rot. Seem like nice boats but never rode behind one. I'm beginner and getting better at kneeboarding and learning to wakeboard, so anything will be better than my I/O. I like that the 98 already has a tower and a few hundred lbs of ballast. I also surfed for the first time behind a vdrive while on vacation and would be interested in doing that, but not sure how great of a surf wake I'll be able to get behind a direct drive. It's not critical, but would be nice if I could surf.

What do you guys think of the Sport Nautiques? A good choice? Anything to look out for? Will it be something I can grow into? What is a fair price for a 95-96 in good condition with no tower? How about a 98 with tower and built in ballast (FCT and the 400 lbs ballast)?

Any other boats I should be looking into? I think I decided to stick with fiberglass stringers and floor. I have written down what years all the manufacturers switched. I originally was looking at SN2001 but some of the nicer ones I'd be interested in are in the $7k-$10k range and at that point I think it'd be worth spending more for a larger open bow with composite construction. I figure whatevevr I get I'll have for a LONG time, since for me a boat is a major purchase, so want to be sure it'll last and I'll be happy with it.

Other kicker is I have to sell my I/O first as I don't have room for two boats, so I've missed some good deals along the way. just looking for some feedback on the Sport Nautiques and pricing, as well as any other boats I should be looking at. Thanks!

beleza 07-31-2010 3:27 PM

The Sport Nautique would be a great choice! Great all around boat and very solid. Super nice wake with a little weight. I sold my 97 with tower and around 600 hours for $12,500 back in April.

jelico 07-31-2010 11:01 PM

I'm not sure on what is a fair price, but I am really happy with the Sport Nautique I bought into recently. Really good bang for buck - stoked with how tunable the wake is in both salt and water.
Only thing is, that if you are planning on wakesurfing, remember that the prop spins the other way than most modern wake/ski boats so the starboard wake is the easiest to get big and clean...

masterwake1122 08-02-2010 8:53 AM

Malibu Sunsetter would be the same type of boat (stay away from the LXI model though it was made more for skiiers I believe unless you enjoy slalomn). I've never ridden behind one but I've heard they are more gradual wakes where Nautiques are more vertical. I bought my 97 nautique sport going through a credit union and got 8.5% for 4 years... not ideal but it gets me out on the water. I haven't gotten out much on my boat for boarding unfortunately but I do like the wake from what I have ridden it. The GT-40 (I belive 96 and later years) is a strong engine but check out planetnautique or correctcraftfans and look at their forums. I test drove an 89 w/ a caruerated engine and I didn't care for it I went for fuel injected. If you are just looking to do wakeboarding and kneeboarding maybe check out a V-Drive boat. Will be more expensive but I don't care for the engine sitting in the middle of the boat... It would be better for surfing, kneeboarding, and wakeboarding but worse for skiing and worse on gas.

Pricing could be anywhere from 12k to 20k it seems. You should be able to find a decent 98-99 air nautique w/ 400-800 hours for 15-17k but you may have to drive for that which includes 400 lb ballast tower and perfect pass. Check out onlyinboards.com, boattrader.com, skiitagain.com

Just be sure to have a mechanic look it over. Good luck

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/boa/1861212627.html

http://columbusga.craigslist.org/boa/1856736015.html

kystyle 08-02-2010 9:39 AM

I sold my '95 Sport Nautique with a tower, bimini, and cover last year for $10,500. It had 1300 hrs and was still going strong. Never had any major problems. I upgraded to a Super Air Nautique. When loaded with about 2000# the Sport wake was comparable to the Super Air with stock ballast ( around 900#?). The boat produced a good surf wake on either side when weighted properly. Great boat. Would buy another one if I couldn't afford a V Drive.

curtis325 08-05-2010 7:53 PM

Cory, would you mind posting info on when the different manufacturers started using fiberglass for the stringers exclusively? I have been searching for this info and have not had much luck.
Thanks

cadunkle 08-06-2010 5:39 AM

Here is all the info I could find. If anyone knows the wood/glass changeover on any other manufacturers please let me know. I think I have most of the big names here.

Correct Craft - 1993
Mastercraft - 1984, some in late 83 ... May be some wood on the early fiberglass boats but stringers are glass
Malibu - 1994 Echelon , 1995 all models
Tige - 2003
Supra - midyear 1992, wood boats have square windshields fiberglass have rounded windshields
Sanger - Still wood

wakereviews 08-06-2010 5:41 AM

My first inboard was a Sport Nautique and I loved it. It was a fantastic boat... highly recommended!!

cadunkle 08-06-2010 5:50 AM

In other news, 3 folks who called and I spent a fair time discussing the boat with were going to come look at my I/O were no shows. Seems like selling a boat is impossible. I have cash in hand and ready to move on something as soon as mine sells, more a need to just free the space than anything. At this rate I may eventually just cut it into small pieces and dispose of in the trash, and take engine and outdrive for scrap. I've scrapped good running cars before because I got sick of dealing with people.

I never waste anyone's time, and could never understand why people insist on wasting my time. If I am going to look at something I am interested in buying I show up when I say I will with cash in hand, or if I can't make it I call and say so, or even if I took a lot of the guys time discussing it and changed my mind I'll make a quick call to let him know I'm no longer interested. People just aggravate me, no one has any decency or courtesy anymore.

sanddragon2004 08-12-2010 8:18 AM

98 and newer sports have a slightly dif hull closer in shape to the san 210 or the super sport.

all nautiques are great boats. PCM makes a great package, and the overall fit / finish is top notch.

have owned 4 nauts 82 2001, 91 excel, 93 sport, and 98 sport. loved all of them.

sanddragon2004 08-12-2010 8:23 AM

ITs not the stringers id be so concerned about guys, its the wood floors. more often then not its the wood floor that rots not the stringers. Stringers are usually wrapped in fiberglass. a large majority of boats use wood floors in their boats.

cadunkle 08-12-2010 9:30 AM

Andy, what did you think of the Excel and how did it compare to the Sport Nautiques? I see two Excels in my budget within a few hundred miles. Was ready to pull the trigger on what seemed like a good deal on one up in NY but the guy never got back to me. I see them somewhat frequently pre-93 (wood) and a occasionally one with fiberglass floor/stringers. My understanding from what others have said, as well as a 1993 Nautique sales brochure, is in 93 CC went to all composite stringers and floor. I know MC and others did stringers and floors at different times before going all composite. For the right price I would go with a wood boat that is in good condition, but I see a lot of pre-93 Nautiques asking similar or even higher prices than the newer composite boats. For a similar or small difference in price it seems a no brainer to go with a newer composite boat. Just one less thing to worry about.

Still haven't sold my boat so can't move on anything yet. Might end up giving it away if a killer deal comes along but until then I'll keep waiting and saving my pennies.