WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archive through July 21, 2005 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=242765)
-   -   Hyperlite ERA147 or Motive 144 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=240056)

whitlock87 07-11-2005 7:47 AM

Ok I just got an ERA 147, and I am not sure if I got the right board. <BR>I was wondering if I should have gotten the Motive 144 instead. <BR> <BR>I am new to the sport (as a rider, my son has been wakeboarding for just over a year) <BR>I am also a big guy 6’. 3” 255lbs. <BR>The lake that we ride in gets very choppy. So I was wondering if the Motive would be a little easer to ride then the ERA <BR>(I started a topic about rocker difference, but it did not answer my question) <BR> <BR>I am locked into Hyperlite, as the pro shop where I got the board only sales Hyperlite. I have 30 days to change my mind. <BR> <BR>Thanks for any feed back <BR>David <BR>

whitlock87 07-11-2005 7:59 AM

I forgot to add, my other option is to add a larger center fin to the ERA. <BR>I was told this would make the board more stable. <BR>Thanks David <BR>

buffalow 07-11-2005 8:05 AM

I have road both boards a bunch. the motive is a hair slower and a hair less poppy. I would think the 147 would ride better in the rough water only because it is phyiscally larger. The 147 has a little more rocker and may feel a tiny bit sluggish at your weigth, but other than that it is the baord of choice between the two.

buffalow 07-11-2005 8:06 AM

Both boards are extremally stable with stockm fins.

robertt 07-11-2005 8:57 AM

If you don't mind, tell us/me a little more about what you like/don't like about the ERA. I am about your size, and also just beginning, and just ordered an ERA to take the place of my current CWB Sol. I took the fins off my Sol this weekend and loved it! <BR> <BR>When it gets choppy, I like to slow the boat down a little, it seems to sink the stern even more and gives a little place to at least work on surface moves.

whitlock87 07-11-2005 9:26 AM

Ok <BR>Again I am new to this, I learned how to get up on a Hydroslide 142(Cosmicocean). <BR>I have only gotten up about 8 times. <BR>The ERA is much easy to get up, but I have to fight the board a little to stay up <BR>I think it is do to lack of riding skills. The other board seams to be easier to stay going straight. <BR>This board seams to bounce more (but was it the water condition) <BR>The funning thing is that after riding the ERA, I wanted to compare it to the older board, and I could not get up. After trying 4 times, my wife gave me back the Era and I got up first try. <BR> <BR>On another note, my 160-pound son loves my new board. <BR>He likes the way it jumps. <BR> <BR>I mainly looking for something that I can ride and learn on. <BR>Thanks David <BR>

robertt 07-11-2005 9:47 AM

For what its worth, the "bounce" is what I wanted the ERA for. In my newbie opinion, once a guy our size gets the skills to carve at will, front slide, switch, etc....the next logical move is to start to jump. At our weight, it is not quite as easy to get that pop off the wake, especially if the boat is not throwing a monster wake. <BR> <BR>I wanted a 3 stage board for the exact reasons you are struggling with it...I wanted that pop to get airborne. <BR> <BR>Again, for what its worth, I would try a large fin setup first. <BR> <BR>The only other thing I can STRONLGLY suggest is to spring for the entire "The Book" dvd series. Your son will love it, and it will help you tremendously. <BR> <BR>Its $100.00, but the way I look at it.. <BR> <BR>1. By using proper technique, you may find out that you love your current board...which may save you ten times the cost of the DVD. <BR>2. It costs at least $75.00 per hour to be out in your boat, not to mention that the time with your family is priceless. If you can cut your learning curve by 10 riding hours, and have a blast in the process, you can easily justify the extra expense. <BR> <BR>Just something to think about.