WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   Sea Ray releasing a new inboard (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=807255)

BurnMac42 12-21-2016 2:49 PM

Sea Ray releasing a new inboard
 
Surprised I haven't seen this here yet....Sea Ray will be unveiling a new inboard next month..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB3U...ature=youtu.be

This one has a couple shots of the boat...

https://www.facebook.com/SeaRayBoats...6559082358813/

Pad1Tai 12-21-2016 3:18 PM

Dang

scottb7 12-21-2016 4:37 PM

Great. Would love to see more competition...

Nevermind, scratch that...I hope it doesn't work for SeaRay. Let's keep the prices high so people don't surf and mess up the water...

skuhleman 12-21-2016 8:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottb7 (Post 1950520)
Great. Would love to see more competition...

Nevermind, scratch that...I hope it doesn't work for SeaRay. Let's keep the prices high so people don't surf and mess up the water...

I wouldn't worry about it, have you seen the prices of a sea ray? They think they are mastercraft already...

davez71 12-22-2016 6:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skuhleman (Post 1950527)
I wouldn't worry about it, have you seen the prices of a sea ray? They think they are mastercraft already...

Safe to say that every manufacturer is topping the 100K mark whether its MC, Nautique, Supra, BU. I/O model like SeaRay, Cobalt, and Chaparral all have models over 100K.

Last time I shopped, the G and M235 are the most expensive ski boats that most buy.

BurnMac42 12-22-2016 7:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skuhleman (Post 1950527)
I wouldn't worry about it, have you seen the prices of a sea ray? They think they are mastercraft already...

uuhh.....no offense to the mastercraft fan boys but Sea Ray has been making $1M+ yachts for much longer than our towboats has been peaking into these prices......I think Mastercraft is trying to "think" they are Sea Ray....

sandm01 12-22-2016 8:39 AM

burnmac,
you don't have to think mc is trying to be sea ray. just take a look at the mc300 and you see they were trying to go after the cuddy market.

boat got very good reviews but never really took off and i would guess the mc dealer network are not where 500k yacht buyers are heading to look at a boat.
betting if these would have been sold as a luxury brand separate from mc with a different dealer network they would have sold more.
my .02 anyway from a non-mc owner and not a fanboy but someone who can appreciate a well designed floatilla :)

chpthril 12-22-2016 8:39 AM

^^^^^^ this is funny right there, dont care who you are :p

Last year while at a sea ray dealer, they had about a 23ft bow rider with an outboard, no trailer no tower but bimini, basic stereo no custom hull colors, dont think it had a head, listed at.....wait for it...........$89K.

davez71 12-22-2016 8:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BurnMac42 (Post 1950534)
uuhh.....no offense to the mastercraft fan boys but Sea Ray has been making $1M+ yachts for much longer than our towboats has been peaking into these prices......I think Mastercraft is trying to "think" they are Sea Ray....

So I ask the question, What does Nautique or Malibu "think" ?

psudy 12-22-2016 9:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandm01 (Post 1950537)
burnmac,
you don't have to think mc is trying to be sea ray. just take a look at the mc300 and you see they were trying to go after the cuddy market.

boat got very good reviews but never really took off and i would guess the mc dealer network are not where 500k yacht buyers are heading to look at a boat.
betting if these would have been sold as a luxury brand separate from mc with a different dealer network they would have sold more.
my .02 anyway from a non-mc owner and not a fanboy but someone who can appreciate a well designed floatilla :)

Might have helped if they weren't trying to price a 30ft boat in the 40ft price range.

JJwake 12-22-2016 3:33 PM

Good Luck!

The Ex-Sea Ray yachtsmen who are now hip and cool running Mastercraft won't let this thing anywhere close to their dealers I'm sure.

I sure hope they hired somebody that knew what they were doing to design this hull. The side of that thing looks like a normal old SLX.

I don't know why companies do not stay true to who they are and excel at what they know. This looks like a good college try at an attempt to see some growth in a market area that is foreign. A few years from now, we'll be laughing about this Ski...I mean "Surf Ray"

BurnMac42 12-22-2016 5:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davez71 (Post 1950539)
So I ask the question, What does Nautique or Malibu "think" ?

I could care less dude but to claim Sea Ray is "trying" to be MC based on their pricing..come on...

I love all tow boats but some on here seriously think they are the end all be all in the market when in fact they are a very, very small segment...

skuhleman 12-22-2016 10:35 PM

My point was in similarly sized boats... not yachts or huge cuddy cabins. 23ft i/o from sea ray is close to 100k... so to the guy who thought this sea ray inboard would be cheap, I'm betting not

BurnMac42 12-23-2016 6:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skuhleman (Post 1950580)
My point was in similarly sized boats... not yachts or huge cuddy cabins. 23ft i/o from sea ray is close to 100k... so to the guy who thought this sea ray inboard would be cheap, I'm betting not

And my point was they aren't "trying" to be Mastercraft....Sea Ray has been in that price segment w/ the same luxury and quality and similarily sized boat for years.....my point was Mastercraft isn't the only manufacturer capable of making a 23ft, $100k boat......that segment isn't exclusive to MC nor are other companies "trying" to be MC when they enter that arena....

Basically my point was MC isn't the end all be all :p

sandm01 12-23-2016 8:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chpthril (Post 1950538)
wait for it...........$89K.

89k.. all day.....

you describe it like it was a base model. bet it had pop up cleats and snap out carpet....

psudy 12-23-2016 9:19 AM

Looks like a nice boat for 89K.

andy_nintzel 12-23-2016 10:42 AM

Cool, they used to have Ski Ray's back in the day.

phatboypimp 12-23-2016 11:27 AM

Is any of this really news? They may have a new model but they have been running the SPX, SLX and SDX series for years.

chpthril 12-23-2016 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandm01 (Post 1950592)
89k.. all day.....

you describe it like it was a base model. bet it had pop up cleats and snap out carpet....

I do not know what is standard or optional equipment on a searay. I do not recall the engine HP or even what the bass HP would be or the option HP. However, it could have had pop up cleats and snap-in carpet standard, and still been a low optioned model. It was a mid sized bow rider, no trailer and did not scream "TAKE ME HOME". Kind of plain IMO for a 90K sticker.

My point was for those thinking searay builds price point models, think again. What will 90K get you at Moomba, Supreme, MB and Axis?

kenv 12-23-2016 10:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yep....here it is......yeah buddy.......

trayson 12-24-2016 12:25 AM

Did anyone even watch the video that was on their FB page?

Look at 0:16. Their surf system is pretty interesting (Surf-Fins). basically a wakeplate cut in two with each actuator controlling half of it, and long fins going down off it.

And even more interesting, did you see the exhaust outlet??? It's on the bottom of the hull. Talk about "fresh air exhaust".

Definitely some interesting innovations.

PSATL 12-24-2016 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BurnMac42 (Post 1950583)
And my point was they aren't "trying" to be Mastercraft....Sea Ray has been in that price segment w/ the same luxury and quality and similarily sized boat for years.....my point was Mastercraft isn't the only manufacturer capable of making a 23ft, $100k boat......that segment isn't exclusive to MC nor are other companies "trying" to be MC when they enter that arena....



Basically my point was MC isn't the end all be all :p



Sea ray has always built a quality boat. I'm not sure how well it will do,against the already crowded market of wake boats but they will definitely position it as a great riding crossover. Is it me or am I the only one who doesn't understand the appeal of a Malibu. The build is not at all the quality of a boat with that kind of price tag. Doesn't seem even close to the construction of a nautique, MC or a Tige or centurion. Flimsy plastic all over the place. I just don't understand the price

cwb4me 12-24-2016 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSATL (Post 1950622)
Sea ray has always built a quality boat. I'm not sure how well it will do,against the already crowded market of wake boats but they will definitely position it as a great riding crossover. Is it me or am I the only one who doesn't understand the appeal of a Malibu. The build is not at all the quality of a boat with that kind of price tag. Doesn't seem even close to the construction of a nautique, MC or a Tige or centurion. Flimsy plastic all over the place. I just don't understand the price

Interesting? :confused: Malibu owners it's your turn.:D

simplej 12-24-2016 12:45 PM

We have an axis now, we had a tige and spend a ton of time in nautiques and MCs.

There were reasons for this. That is all I will say

westsidarider 12-24-2016 2:24 PM

On another note, that's the first time I've seen a decent video from under the boat while it's moving. The spiral from the prop wash looks pretty damn sick. Might have to try and get some cool footage of that myself this summer at the lake

MattieK27 01-04-2017 4:28 PM

http://galleries.searay.com/2017-Mod...els/SLX-230-W/

DenverRider 01-04-2017 5:22 PM

It looks like an I/O hull that was redesigned for a v-drive. That exhaust out the bottom is the dumbest thing I've ever seen. Not a single shot with a wake boarder. On the bright side, it's the perfect boat to have sitting at the dock in the background while you have a picnic with your family so you should definitely whip out the 150 or so that they'll no doubt ask for to get one of these.

simplej 01-04-2017 6:16 PM

Exhaust under is no different than the FAEs.

This is good for all the people who want to surf but don't want to deal with the inboard issues, like piss poor ride quality

chpthril 01-04-2017 7:44 PM

Quote:

Exhaust under is no different than the FAEs.
Except that it sticks out like a sore tracking fin, um, i mean thumb.

Quote:

This is good for all the people who want to surf but don't want to deal with the inboard issues,
Except........it is an inboard

kronoss 01-04-2017 10:33 PM

wow, what a bunch of haters some of you are.

Good for Sea Ray, im glad to see more people in the game, I love the exhaust idea.

gravity 01-04-2017 11:04 PM

Mastercraft platform. Nautique backend and sun pad. Malibu joystick. I see some law suites in sea rays future. Hmmmmm another boat that looks like a brick going down the lake. Wish they could make the deeper boots look a little more sleek.

illini88 01-05-2017 5:23 AM

I'm pretty confident SeaRay has been using joysticks in their larger boats for years. I'm also pretty confident this type of thing would appeal to a lot of people on our lake. We keep seeing more and more 24-25' Cobalt's with towers that occasionally pull a rider but are mostly used for booze cruises or a floating living room for a summer afternoon out in the cove.

sandm01 01-05-2017 6:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chpthril (Post 1950957)
Except that it sticks out like a sore tracking fin, um, i mean thumb.



Except........it is an inboard

the exhaust is the best idea I have seen in a while in that if it works as shows, gives you the benefit of a fae without having all the hardware hanging off the transom of the boat for those of us that have to remove a platform to store the boat in a garage. once the boat is in the water, who cares what's hanging underneath if it doesn't impact the wave..


now the second quote, that's the funniest thing I have read in a while... thanks for the laugh :D

cowwboy 01-05-2017 6:18 AM

Built in bow and looks like stern thrusters is a great idea. The joystick control would make it real nice in marina's if it works as well as it does on twin engine boats.

With all of the R/D money Sea ray has, it will be interesting to see what the wake plates and side hull plates do and the wave they can create.

I also love the under hull exhaust, same benefit of FAE without the mass of tubing behind the boat.
But there is the mass amount of tabs hanging off the back though.

doublemwa 01-05-2017 7:59 AM

I think it's great Sea-Ray is getting into inboards. Assuming it's a value in that it isn't priced beyond it's quality.

We've already had a few boat shows, are they late to the market? Also, is it me or does it ride REALLY high in the water?

corerider 01-05-2017 10:23 AM

Here's the full specs... http://www.searay.com/page.aspx/page...SLX-W-230.aspx

Looks like they redesigned the SLX 230 for inboard/surf use. I'll be interested to see how well it does. The "joystick" piloting feature would definitely bring I/O owners that have stayed away from towboats because they fear driving them as well as a smoother rough open water ride possibly. It doesn't look like they are even trying to market this as a wakeboarding boat, but wakesurf as primary use.

patrick232 01-05-2017 1:13 PM

Bayliner / Sea Ray
 
Don't forget the parent company Brunswick owns Sea Ray and Bayliner. Didn't Bayliner just buy HeyDay WT-1 and WT-2. This might help bring some pricing down some across the board.

jhartt3 01-05-2017 1:33 PM

i doubt it brings pricing down word is this boats sticker is going to be around 132k ... from a dealer.

shorter than the 21VLX at 80k from bu and an non industry boat seems like this will just get upsold to the stereotypical IO buyer

i mean who needs side thrusters to park a 21 foot boat.. a first time boat owner with more money that sense.

psudy 01-05-2017 1:59 PM

Funny. I see more" first time boat owners with more money than sense" buying MCs and Malibus pulling tubes from the towers on our lakes. Some of those guys could use thrusters.

a boat is a boat is a boat. You buy what you like and use it for what ever the f&*k you want.

fence_sence 01-06-2017 10:35 AM

I know this is a small item but, I can only count 5 cup holders, two of which are in the bow. They're not even real cup holders. I can only assume there is one for the driver somewhere which would bring the total to 6. Everybody on the boat needs some little storage spot for their little items and cup holders provide that. I only see one that could be used for that. The interior, from the helm back, looks like a cheap run about. The exterior styling is completely blah. The only thing that interests me is the surf system. It's different for sure. I like the exhaust principle but what happens when you hit a log and rip one of those tips off?

boardman74 01-06-2017 12:30 PM

I like the exhaust principle but what happens when you hit a log and rip one of those tips off?

Same thing that happens with a regular inboard, which all have underwater gear that hangs lower than that exhaust…..very bad things!!!!!!

fence_sence 01-06-2017 5:14 PM

^^^Except that those are connected to 4" holes in the bottom of the boat. Extra bad thing.

Stephenpiercewake 01-20-2017 2:48 PM

http://www.seadek.com/blog/wp-conten...B0007807-M.jpg

Stephenpiercewake 01-21-2017 6:56 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Crazy tabs system!

01-21-2017 5:19 PM

I wonder how that wake tractor is catching on? I've actaully never seen one in person yet haha. That whole center console thing too don't know if I could get used to that...

tyler97217 01-29-2017 10:07 AM

I snuck into the Seattle Boat show for a few hours and guess what they had there....
From the outside it looked pretty cool actually. The best part about it is the swim platform had a huge step that folded down so a few people could actually sit on it in the water. Really cool actually. A pretty cool board locker above the motor too. It all went down hill from there....
Price tag was $128k.... and everything was pretty cheap.... Some exposed fiberglass still on corners, tape lines for color transition were horrible all over the boat. The vinyl was comparable to that of an I/O. The cushion foam was soft. You sunk right to the bottom of the seat immediately.

Just not impressed. I was thinking it would be cool and good for competition, but it will not compete at 128k unless some old fart has no idea what he is looking at and just loves himself a sea ray for a big open lake...

01-29-2017 3:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyler97217 (Post 1952316)
I snuck into the Seattle Boat show for a few hours and guess what they had there....
From the outside it looked pretty cool actually. The best part about it is the swim platform had a huge step that folded down so a few people could actually sit on it in the water. Really cool actually. A pretty cool board locker above the motor too. It all went down hill from there....
Price tag was $128k.... and everything was pretty cheap.... Some exposed fiberglass still on corners, tape lines for color transition were horrible all over the boat. The vinyl was comparable to that of an I/O. The cushion foam was soft. You sunk right to the bottom of the seat immediately.

Just not impressed. I was thinking it would be cool and good for competition, but it will not compete at 128k unless some old fart has no idea what he is looking at and just loves himself a sea ray for a big open lake...

Wow doesn't sound great at all... I was hoping to make it to the Seattle one this year and that was the boat I was curious to see... guess I'm not really surprised... way over priced...

boardman74 01-30-2017 7:33 AM

Does not surprise me that the Sea Ray's are on the high end of pricing.

What does surprise me is the cheapness. Sea Ray is on the high end of the I/O and cruiser world. We have a 36 foot Sea Ray sedan cruiser. Its a 90 and theres not a seat in the boat that sinks to the bottom. Or a loose screw or anything else indicative of lower quality offerings. Sea Ray has always been on the high end.

I didn't expect the boat to be an entry level offering price wise. But I expected it to have quality on par with the big 3, considering Sea Rays history and reputation.

As much as I like Sea Ray, I doubt they are breaking back into the tow boat market with that price and quality level. One thing to keep in mind is at times manufacturers rush to complete new boats for the boat shows. At times they aren't even functioning models. I remember having a Tige ASR at our show the first year that wasn't even a functional boat. Just a prop for the boat show. That boat was also said to be cheap with poor paint lines and the like....and it was. The production boats were much better. Even if they are better....at 128K they are gonna miss it.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 2:32 PM.