WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   looking for subwoofer (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=802094)

Jbuenojr 05-19-2014 7:21 PM

looking for subwoofer

Looking for subwoofer for my 2013 Sanger v215.
What are people running in your boat?
What kind of box too. Ported or sealed?
What amp are running for the sub.

I am think of single 12 JL

bryce2320 05-19-2014 8:01 PM

How ridiculous are you wanting to go? What does the rest of the system consist of? How many batteries do you have? Wanting to go under the helm? The space under there will basically predict your options. Ported or sealed? More info and everyone can throw their .02 in.

dvsone79 05-19-2014 8:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A JL 12W7 seems to be the panty dropper when it comes to subs. I don't have $600 to spend on a sub so I went with a Polk DB1240DVC for $60. It's marine rated, takes 4 ohms so matched well with most amps, and sounds good. I have mine in a sealed box in the bow. I doubt a 12W7 sounds 10 times better.

dvsone79 05-19-2014 9:07 PM

Forgot to add the amp specs. PPI 900.5 with channels 1-4 bridged to 2 tower speakers and 5th channel to the sub. Running internals off the HU. Ballin' on a budget.

mikeski 05-19-2014 11:14 PM

Task #1 - figure out how much volume you have to work with.

Whether you spend $60 or $600 it will sound like crap if you don't match the sub to your box.

In my wakeboard boat I run a single Boston SPG555 in a 1.7 cubic foot slot ported box pushed with 800 watts and it does very well.

In the water ski boat I run a Polk db 12 similar to what is posted above in a 0.8 cubic foot sealed box powered with 400 watts and it also sounds great.

Both of these are correct applications within the sub design specifications. Both are high excursion subs both are properly powered and in locations where the sound is not blocked by seat cushions.

Do a search, all of your answers have already been posted several times on this board over the years.

tn_rider 05-20-2014 3:37 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Depending on the music you like, I run 2 kicker L7's under the helm. It'll beat you to death. Not exactly the most musical sub
ever, but it doesn't sound awful in a sealed box. Attachment 35737 not sure how many cu ft it is but you can buy two of these for the price of 1 really high end sub.
Attachment 35738

Jbuenojr 05-20-2014 7:52 AM

Sorry guys. I am running two sets of sxt9 on the tower with 2 set of 6.5 cabin speakers that came with boat
Looking into upgrade those too. The plan what's to have the sub under the helm . Don't have measurements.
But will post today after work.
My question is what will give some good deep bass. Going with a ported bass or seal.
what is a good bang for your buck.p

dvsone79 05-20-2014 11:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jbuenojr (Post 1877962)
Sorry guys. I am running two sets of sxt9 on the tower with 2 set of 6.5 cabin speakers that came with boat
Looking into upgrade those too. The plan what's to have the sub under the helm . Don't have measurements.
But will post today after work.
My question is what will give some good deep bass. Going with a ported bass or seal.
what is a good bang for your buck.p

I honestly think it would be hard to get more bang for your buck than a Polk DB12. I give mine 400w and it sounds good. I actually have to turn the bass knob down a lot or it overpowers everything else. And my Kicker 6" cabin speakers and Kicker HLCDs on the tower are no slouches either.