WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archive through August 20, 2004 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=187030)
-   -   knee braces (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=185970)

rypayne 08-17-2004 9:54 PM

I jacked up my right knee a few weeks ago behind a super air, I hate the things. I hope it's just sprained. But anyway, I know a lot of you guys on here have knee braces. So what are some good brands of knee braces? I want one before I really need one, and the look cool, ha. <BR>

dallas141 08-17-2004 10:35 PM

Don't wear one unless you doctor requires you to. Knee braces will make your knees dependent on them. Trust me, I had ACL/MCL/Meniscus reconstruction and have never worn one.

rypayne 08-17-2004 11:22 PM

If it is just for wakeboarding, why would my knee be dependent? And would dependency be better than having a acl/mcl/meniscus reconstruction? Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your advice and I might/probably will fallow it, but I'm just asking. Oh and I know I need to go the doctor, I have just been lazy. Thanks man

dallas141 08-18-2004 12:57 AM

Knee brace will cause your knee to depend on the brace for support rather then the muscles around your knee, thus will weaken your knee and before you know it you won't be able to to f-all without it. Trust me, i've been through it. I had an awesome physical therapist and the first thing he told me to do when I walked into his office was "take of the f-ing knee brace, you don't need it"

bbr 08-18-2004 7:15 AM

Actually, I'm getting my mold done this morning for my CTi2 brace. Recovering from an ACL reconstruct as well. I was in great shape, went to the gym regularly, and rode probably 3-4 times a week. I had never been in better shape when it happened. As soon as I hit the water, SNAP! I haven't worn a brace since the surgery, and am getting the brace ONLY for when I ride. Thats just my two cents. <a href="http://www.westsidewakeboard.com" target="_blank">www.westsidewakeboard.com</a>

wake_upppp 08-18-2004 5:45 PM

I guess the pro's that use em don't know what's going on then.

stanfield 08-18-2004 6:22 PM

I think the point is that the pros and most that typically use them were prescribed a brace from their doctor after recovering from surgery. <BR> <BR>Fact of the matter is that a store bought knee brace isn't going to prevent most knee injuries. <BR> <BR>The CTi2 and similar braces are custom made and prescribed by a doctor to help provide strength in the joint while trying to recover fully from a knee reconstruct.

thane_dogg 08-18-2004 6:38 PM

The only pro that I know of that wears his all the time when he rides is Parks. <BR> <BR>Watson, Harf, Shane...all had surgery, wore the brace for a while, when their knee was healing. The knee healed, got back to 100% and they ditched the brace.

rypayne 08-18-2004 7:35 PM

So are you saying Parks is just a smart guy. How about you Brandon, are you going to ditch it when its 100%? Do knees really get back to 100% after a knee injury? I would guess no. Shoot, knees get bad even if you never really injury it. I had surgury on my shoulder on new year eve and I know it will never be 100%. Wires are no match for good old healthy ligaments.

rypayne 08-18-2004 7:47 PM

When it comes down to it, will a good knee brace help prevent a knee injury during the act of wakeboarding? If it will, then who cares if the pros use them or not. NHL players don't wear face masks and most of them have fake teeth and have had broken noses. I'm not a pro and I don't want to go through or pay for knee surgury. I don't know why it makes sence to me to wear a knee brace if I will be saving my knee, but it does. If there is a better reason not to wear one, I would like to hear it.

rypayne 08-18-2004 7:56 PM

come on, its been a whole 10 minutes, someone say something. ha

jamesb 08-18-2004 8:03 PM

I have a CTI2 since a knee reco last year July. Bear in mind I only wear it when wakeboarding or snow skiing. to be honest I dont think that it does anything to supply strength to my knee only prevents it from bending the wrong way again. Most importantly I make sure that my knee is strong by running, bike etc. <BR> <BR>Before I got one I asked a million questions of a million people including my surgeon and physio (who both weren't too keen on the idea, but after lots of discussions both said that I should consider it). <BR> <BR>I looked at my options and they were: <BR>(1) Keep knee strong ride without brace, have a higher risk of redoing the injury along with the year off the water and the out of pocket cost of surgery. <BR>(2) Keep knee strong, ride with a brace, and hopefully save my knee from injury in the future along with the time, money and pain that is involved. <BR> <BR>My situation is unique though and that swayed me to the brace, but before to even consider one, go to the doctor and find out what the problem is first, then deal with it from there.

dallas141 08-18-2004 8:52 PM

A knee brace is no substitute for a strong knee. I can see wearing one while recovering from surgery, but once healthy again, I don't see the need. It will prevent it from bending the wrong way which will put more stress on bones when being bent. Can a knee be 100% after knee surgery? You bet your ass it can. I tore my acl, now it is stronger than ever and I've taken a ton of hits on it and it has never felt better. It is healthier than before the injury. If my knee was healthy before I wouldn't have torn it in the first place. Jamaal Lewis, 2,000 yard rusher after acl. Did you see Willis MaGahee the other night, he had a horrific knee injury and NO BRACE. And these guys are playing NFL football. If you have never had a serious knee injury you have no need for a brace.

howie 08-18-2004 9:17 PM

Hey ryan My wife plays alot of sports and she has had two on each knee she has no more pain and is at 100 percent. I thought the same about knee surgery but my wife showed me wrong. 100 percent and it has been almost a year and half. no problems. Just my two cents Also there was a knee guy in fremont I read on msn this morning who is the only guy who has only a two day bed time then cruckes for a week. really fast recovery. I do not always believe what i read but check it out. Good luck with the knee

bbr 08-18-2004 11:32 PM

I will where the brace EVERYTIME I ride until, my doc says not too. It's only been 8 weeks since the surgery, so I feel that I'm doing well, considering that I have never done anything like this before. I have put the board on twice lately, only to slide around, no jumping and it feels good. Start rehab in a couple of weeks to get my strength and flexibility back. <BR>I have heard both stories: The knee will be stronger than before the injury; Your gonna need the brace from this point on. It depends on a lot. Your surgeon for one. Secondly, just how well your body can recover is also a major part. Everyone that I meet tells me they are amazed to see how I'm progressing. I'll know soon enough once I start getting serious on the water. A brace can NEVER replace a knee, but it can help it on the road ro recover. <a href="http://www.westsidewakeboard.com" target="_blank">www.westsidewakeboard.com</a>

peaceez 08-19-2004 2:37 PM

oh my gosh ryan payne, you are like my favorite rider i love you and i would love to go riding with you. do you think i can hang with you maybe sometime? oh please it would be a dream come true.

rypayne 08-19-2004 2:39 PM

Buddy, I think you're confused.

wake_upppp 08-19-2004 5:51 PM

Go thumb thru WB and Alliance mag... You'll see alot more than just Parks wearing them.

rypayne 08-19-2004 7:28 PM

I go for an MRI tomorrow, so I will know whats up with my leg and take it from there. Thank you for you comments, good things, good things.