WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archive through February 24, 2008 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=551467)
-   -   Advise needed: Board for choppy water (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=547761)

boardridesurf 02-19-2008 7:57 AM

We boat mostly at a local lake that has lots of traffic so we only have good water for wakeboarding about 1 out of every 5. I am looking for a board that can ride well in choppy water, has good pop but can still be taken into the flats and it also must land SOFT. What boards or shapes ride best in small chop?

elantz 02-19-2008 8:25 AM

I suggest riding longer boards with less abrupt rockers or continuous rockers. My smooth water board is an O'Brien Cartel 141 and my rough water board is HL Era 147. I think the 08 Apex is now the old Era shape that I'm talking about. <BR> <BR>The Era glides over most chop and still allows me to have fun. On the Cartel, I feel every bump and I wear out quickly. I've also tried the HL Motive 144, and it seemed good in chop. <BR> <BR>Bigger boards land softer - for me. <BR> <BR>What size One are you on now?

sidekicknicholas 02-19-2008 8:56 AM

I rode a 3DS for a while and hated everything about it except how nice it was through chop

cpizzle 02-19-2008 10:32 AM

At the LA Boat show one of the Hyperlite reps suggested the B-Side was a great rought water board.

boardridesurf 02-19-2008 10:45 AM

Does anyone know how a CWB Transcend does in chop?

illini88 02-19-2008 10:50 AM

The o'brien valhalla (I know I prob butchered the spelling) is supposed to be good in the chop.

wakerider111 02-19-2008 11:20 AM

Heard alot about the CWB marrius. It is continuous but curves more at the edges toward the tip and tail (has rocker width wise in the tips) which i would guess would give it a little bit of a hybrid feel (never ridden one) Lots swear by the landings too. Anything that is three-stage (especially abrupt three stage) will exaggerate the bumps. Since the TRANSCEND is SUBTLE-3 stage... it might not be too bad (again, never ridden it) <BR>of Boards I HAVE ridden, i think slingshot is great!, but i am not so sure if it is best for "slicing through" (or if there is any board that slices through chop but not the boat wake) the waves per say. All i can say for sure is that i definitely feel less "quivery" in the knees after riding a slingshot in chop. Also by far the SOFTEST landing board i have ever tried.

absoluteboarder 02-19-2008 1:12 PM

......I find my marius isn't that great in the chop.......but I would think the new flex boards would be best as they come from the kiteboard family......and those boards are made to handle chop.

dwakesetter 02-19-2008 1:27 PM

michael, I love the flex boards, but they are much worse in chop. It got to the point that if it was choppy the people that I ride with and I would grab a regular board for that set.

elantz 02-19-2008 2:08 PM

I haven't found the Absolute or Transcend to be good in chop. Too much rocker goes poppin on every bump - for me. <BR> <BR>My friend rides an Absolute all the time though. His sets are definitely shorter on it in chop.