WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archive through July 24, 2009 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=720153)
-   -   Best boots for bad ankles? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=716240)

dirwoody 07-14-2009 9:43 AM

Ankles are really bothering me this season, What are your recommendations for boots for someone who's ankle's are junk?

tom13knotek 07-14-2009 9:50 AM

i have broken both of my ankles. most recently i broke my left out in breck hitting massive kickers. the hyperlite atlas is a very stiff boot as far as ankle support. those are the bindings i got after i broke my right ankle 3 years ago. chad sharpes ronix binding is pretty stiff.

sidekicknicholas 07-14-2009 9:53 AM

Slingshot D2. <BR> <BR>They have soooo much ankle support but are still very easy to get into.

nbigger 07-14-2009 10:13 AM

X2 on the Slingshot D2. I love them I had the CWB Zues and they are great also but the D2 are great bindings and easy to adjust and get in and out of.

denverd1 07-14-2009 11:35 AM

I know Zeus' are stiff. CWB Fuse may have been stiffer, but don't quote me on that. Chad Sharpe's old boot were pretty stiff. Highback, 3ds, then whatever his Ronix boot is...

dakid 07-14-2009 11:37 AM

liquid force...imo, when it comes to comfort and support, no other company comes close.

sidekicknicholas 07-14-2009 11:41 AM

^ Every LF I've been on are super soft (I rode shanes for a long time, best boots ever made)... even the Watson which people claim to be really stiff were much softer than most all the others listed <BR> <BR>Atlas are really stiff but not a comfy stiff, just crusty stuff <BR> <BR>I haven't been in a pair of Ronix Cell's since 07 but they were awful, worst boots I've ever been in. <BR> <BR>Zeus are nice but I never felt fully locked in, there as some part of my foot that had room to movie. <BR> <BR>I would think the Murray boots with the added stiffening things might be good too, although I've never been on them

denverd1 07-14-2009 11:44 AM

^Murray's ARE stiff. <BR> <BR>Almost broke my ankle in some LF Sphynx's years ago. I know its one of their more flexy boots, but its the last one I ever owned.

tinytdubb 07-14-2009 12:23 PM

** Just my opinion and statistics** <BR> <BR>I've seen more tip fib fractures with stiff boots....ankles were fine though. <BR> <BR>Could be just a coincidence.

dirwoody 07-14-2009 12:55 PM

So....looking above, seems some are all about stiffness for the ankle, but some like them to flex. My Zeus' aren't bad and are getting broken in to the point they're getting a bit flexy, but I'm not sure what I should be looking for, stiff or flexy.

tom13knotek 07-14-2009 1:11 PM

stiff=less of a chance of re-injuring ankle <BR> <BR>flexy=a lil more of a chance of twisting ankle, but the advantage is the added flexibility for tweaking grabs incorporating style

dirwoody 07-16-2009 11:56 AM

Picked up some 07 3DS's, hopefully these will keep them in tact when bootinig the kickers at KCW!

tinytdubb 07-16-2009 12:06 PM

I rode 3ds binding for 2 years and love them. They break in and get pretty flexy but still have good support. Plus they eject well! I also owned Zeus's and they felt like snowboard boots. just my opinion

eubanks01 07-16-2009 12:36 PM

The Zeus are one of the most flexible boots I've ever put my foot into. <BR> <BR>The '08 Murrays are VERY stiff along with all of Chad Sharpe's boots.

r8dohead 07-16-2009 3:23 PM

I have Zeus and they are by far the best fitting boot on MY feet I have ever ridden. They are not stiff,flexy as hell and comfy.I have had the same pair for 3 seasons and I am about to put new overlays on them.Thanks CWB two years back when I wrote them to tell them they were ripping.They sent all new parts.I recently tried my friends closed toed Watsons and they rode high on my shin and my ankle felt like nothing was touching it.Not a secure feeling at all.I will stick with Zeus &amp; my Watson 142 Combo for a long time.

dirwoody 07-16-2009 3:33 PM

I'm keeping my Zeus', but they don't fit on my Roam, so I needed something which would fit its hole pattern

tinytdubb 07-16-2009 3:42 PM

I know its a personal preference but I can't stand how spongy CWB foot beds are. And the hinge reminds me of how much I hated Flow bindings when they came out for snowboarding. To each there own. It must just be me because a lot of my friends rock CWB bindings.

kitewake 07-17-2009 11:41 PM

There is more to ankle safety than just 'support'. Any boot with a thick spongy footbed is an ankle destroyer...no matter how good the support is. CWBs are a prime example. I had a bad eversion sprain (lucky I did not break my ankle or lower leg) with a pair of CWBs because the spongy footbed compressed...which then created space for my foot to move...resulting in the tear. 9 months later...I am still not 100%. I may never be. <BR> <BR>If you have bad ankles...or want ankle support...stay away from anything with a thick spongy footbed designed to 'absorb impacts'. Talk to an ortho Doc. They will take one look at a boot with a thick spongy bed and tell you to throw it in the trash...without even knowing anything about wakeboarding...and they would be right. <BR> <BR>I now ride Slingshot D2's. The footbed is about 3/8 thick max...and yet the landings feel just as soft because of the high tech footbed they use. I ride the inner boot with the stirrup very tight, and the outer laces only moderately tight. This way I have great ankle support, but the boot itself is flexy. My foot is not going to pivot side to side on my lower leg. If I take a real beater...the whole boot comes out the biding...boot still on my foot. <BR> <BR>(Message edited by kitewake on July 18, 2009)

wakeboardlasvegas 07-18-2009 12:04 AM

Just picked up some PB Floyds... not quite the D2's but I didnt want that high of a boot.

jonb 07-19-2009 11:23 AM

Ronix cell boots would be a good choice.

innov8 07-19-2009 11:45 AM

Been riding CWB bindings for 6 years and have never had a single problem with my ankles.

sxjunky 07-19-2009 1:17 PM

09 Ronix cells. super comfortable, tons of support, lower on the leg then some of the others. and no i cant tweak out grabs like i could with shanes, but at least i can still ride.