WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Non-Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4387)
-   -   NCAA conference realignment (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=790191)

wakereviews 09-19-2011 12:24 PM

NCAA conference realignment

As a KU fan, again, i am freaking out. But also kind of excited... Really hoping for a Big10 or ACC home for KU but am scared that we might have to join with the BigE rejects. anyone else following this at all?

mjfan23 09-19-2011 1:21 PM

This is crazy... Hopefully UC can land in the 64 team super conferences. However I see them being left out and stuck in a bad place.

eubanks01 09-19-2011 1:25 PM

Yep, ready for my Aggies to jump ship and dominate the SEC. :D

phatboypimp 09-19-2011 2:37 PM

I would welcome UT, Texas Tech, OU and OKST to the Pac 16. I would love to see it as our in-conference games (including national visibility) would be a MASSIVE upgrade.

wakereviews 09-19-2011 2:52 PM

OU board of regents just approved it's President the power to move the school to a new conference if he sees fit. See ya OU, OSU, TX and TTU. I know the TExas board is meeting now too so I expect a similar announcement from them in the next few hours.

polarbill 09-19-2011 5:02 PM

I like the idea of Oklahoma and Okie state in the PAC but not sure about Texas and Tech. Tech just doesn't bring much to the table in my opinion. As for Texas the only way I like it is if they are forced to come on the PAC's terms, not their own. They have proven that they can't get along with other conference teams and they want to keep everything for themselves. As long as there is equal revenue sharing among all pac teams I like it. The only other concern i have is Texas wanting to get a better share of the California market and trying to bully their way into playing in LA or Northern Cal every single year. If this happens it is goign to screw the northwest schools by not getting the Socal exposure they need to recruit top socal athletes. I would like UW getting to play at either USC or UCLA every year but I don't think there is a possible way to do that unless they do a PAC8 and newcomers alignment. I would be ecstatic if they did a PAC8 and newcomers alignment. Either way there are some schools that are going to get screwed.

If I was Kansas I would possibly consider making the move to the mountain west if they can get TCU back. A conference of BYU, TCU, Kansas, Kansas state, Iowa st, San Diego State, UNLV, etc... The conference would be very mediocre at bball but would be pretty good for football.

rdlangston13 09-19-2011 6:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by polarbill (Post 1709394)
I like the idea of Oklahoma and Okie state in the PAC but not sure about Texas and Tech. Tech just doesn't bring much to the table in my opinion.

you're joking right? TTU doesnt bring anything to the table but OK state does? That is laughable. I admit that we are down right now but we are also rebuilding after a scandal with the head coach being fired. We are in a transition and are starting like 17 true freshman this year so don't expect much but in 2 or 3 years we WILL be a force to be reckoned with. doesnt bring much to the table my ass. UT didn't bring anything to the table last year, not even a bowl game. TTU and OK state bring about the same to the table, but TTUs uniforms look better so therefore we bring more.

scott_a 09-19-2011 9:47 PM

rdlangston13- Pac 12 only really wants OU and/or UT, and then their little brothers will come along for the ride. This isn't AT ALL an OSU vs TTU argument because the Pac 12 has little interest in them by themselves. And 'bringing something to the table' doesn't just refer to wins and losses. It's about the full package- big fan base size, media market size, quality of the town, etc. There's a reason why Boise St hasn't already been invited.

I hope OU and OSU join tomorrow. Then if Texas wants to join, they can do so on the Pac 12's/Larry Scott's terms. I think the Pac 12 would do just fine as Pac 14.

behindtheboat 09-19-2011 10:12 PM

I don't get how, as it is my understanding, Texas more or less sparked all of this with their selfishness regarding money (TV network, etc), and yet now they can just move into a different conference? So they can straight up ruin their current conference, and whoops, just follow OU with what they do......

rdlangston13 09-20-2011 5:44 AM

At least when UT moves to a new conference I would hope that they dont get all the money and everyone else gets their scraps.

How many Texans HATE UT???

I know I do!

behindtheboat 09-20-2011 7:25 AM

That's slightly my point though, if they're willing to do that for a new conference, why not for the Big 12? They are having everyone else's cake, and eating it too, then going to the next party without them.

polarbill 09-20-2011 8:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdlangston13 (Post 1709428)
you're joking right? TTU doesnt bring anything to the table but OK state does? That is laughable. I admit that we are down right now but we are also rebuilding after a scandal with the head coach being fired. We are in a transition and are starting like 17 true freshman this year so don't expect much but in 2 or 3 years we WILL be a force to be reckoned with. doesnt bring much to the table my ass. UT didn't bring anything to the table last year, not even a bowl game. TTU and OK state bring about the same to the table, but TTUs uniforms look better so therefore we bring more.

Sorry for striking a nerve. I did see that Tech has been to a ton of bowl games which surprised me. I always thought they we consistantly mediocre/bottom feeders besides the time they had Crabtree. Maybe I am way rong but Okie State brings a lot more to the table from a Basketball and football history don't they?

bbeach 09-20-2011 10:13 AM

what truly bothers me (outside of KU's ridiculous a$$clown sense of entitlement) is that the Big12 has been pilfered the last TWO SEASONS and we've heard exactly jack sh*t from Dan Beebe... And two days after the Big East gets robbed at gun point the commissioner is all over the place talking about loyalty and contracts and underhandedness in conference trust... WTH are you Dan Beebe?

Bottom line, schools have made agreements and signed contracts with their current conferences and they are turning a blind eye to those agreements and it makes me sick. This is destroying the tradition of college sports.

wakereviews 09-20-2011 10:17 AM

how does KU have any sense of entitlement in this deal? The university hasn't made a peep during this entire ordeal besides saying they wanted to stick with KSU.

kstateskier 09-20-2011 11:16 AM

The president actually said the opposite and the BoR had to put her in her place.

Is GT still scoring touchdowns? ;)

kstateskier 09-20-2011 11:17 AM

Oh and I agree that Dan Beebe is worthless!

bbeach 09-20-2011 11:29 AM

What I mean by sense of entitlement Ian is this... You go read or talk to any KU fan (other than yourself apparently) and all you hear is them b*tching about how KU's AAU status and elite bball program should earn them the golden ticket into a great BCS conference, IF ONLY they weren't anchored down by little ole lowly Ag school Kansas State.

This kinda crap is ridiculous, KU's sense of worth in the world is so overblown by their own Nebraska/Notre Dame type outlook on their bball program its not even funny. What none of them seem to grasp is the concept of conference realignment is driven SOLELY by Football TV revenue and has jack diddly to do with your 3 bball NC's (yes I know you claim to have 5) or your Academic AAU status...

IMO there's alot more worth left in the B12 if the smaller schools actually stuck together and offered themselves up as a package deal.

wakereviews 09-20-2011 1:16 PM

i have no delusions of grandeur here... i know our football program is god awful and the ONLY thing we bring to the table is academics and bball which means squat to any university presidents looking to expand their conference. I am personally hoping the Big 12 stays intact and expands on it's own. However, the reports of the last hour that Mizzou has an offer to go to the SEC are not promising. I think we should just boot Texas out of the Big 12 and add a few other schools.

and yes, i think the score is 1457-3 now, GT is still up but I'm anticipating a comeback.

wakereviews 09-20-2011 1:34 PM

gotta like this
http://newsok.com/breaking-removal-o...=breaking_news

bbeach 09-20-2011 3:04 PM

I suddenly have a newfound respect for OU!! HELL YEAH! Guarantee you if Beebe had penalized the sh*t out of Nebraska and Colorado for leaving the Big 12 we wouldn't even be in this mess.

rdlangston13 09-20-2011 5:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by polarbill (Post 1709557)
Sorry for striking a nerve. I did see that Tech has been to a ton of bowl games which surprised me. I always thought they we consistantly mediocre/bottom feeders besides the time they had Crabtree. Maybe I am way rong but Okie State brings a lot more to the table from a Basketball and football history don't they?

Yeah, I forgot about basket ball, we are not great at that but I am not much of a basket ball fan so it is easy for me to over look.

As far as football goes, the only people to really beat us consistently the last 10 years or so is UT and OU. UTs athletic budget is about 3 times ours and im sure OU is up there as well so it only makes sense.

OSU and TTU in football can really go either way as well as with A&M but we pretty much walk all over the big 12 north every year. You have to really look at the Mike Leach era of TTU football, most years we are the only Big 12 Texas school to win our bowl games. TTU does not have a history of great football but they have recently invested a lot in the program and I really believe that in about 2-3 years you will see us in the top 10 BCS standings and we could potentially make the top 25 this year. I am not going to hold my breath tho as we have so many freshman starters but we do have that 15th ranked recruiting class in the nation last year.

OSU stole our hand symbol thing too!

kstateskier 09-20-2011 7:45 PM

I think the PAC 12 was a little more worried about Tech's "dead last in the Big XII" academic standing than their horrible basketball team. :D

wakereviews 09-21-2011 4:43 AM

PAC12 announces they will remain a 12 team conference!!!!

bbeach 09-21-2011 10:30 AM

this is starting to get funny.

Pac 12 would have jumped all over texas, ou, osu and tech had texas not been so greedy about rev sharing and their stupid network! Instead OU had to make a play to stay in B12 and now it appears as if the B12 is going to add a few schools to get back to 12! I LIKE!

rdlangston13 09-21-2011 2:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kstateskier (Post 1709740)
I think the PAC 12 was a little more worried about Tech's "dead last in the Big XII" academic standing than their horrible basketball team. :D

hey hey, we had to lower our standards to try and get enrollment numbers up to increase the fan base and revenue. hard for a school that is 6 hours away from the rest of the big cities in TX to compete with UT whos football stadium seats over 100,000 people. And I know plenty of people who graduated from Tech that are PLENTY successful, just as much so as people from A&M and UT. it is what you make of it.

kstateskier 09-21-2011 9:59 PM

Dan Beebe stepping down now! Sounds like OU didn't have many places to go when Texas wouldn't agree to the revenue sharing in the PAC 12. Most of the P12 Presidents only wanted a UT/OU combo, not just OU and their red headed step child OSU. Boren better come back with his tail between his leg!

eubanks01 09-22-2011 7:57 AM

David - Sure, there are successful working Texas Tech alum...as long as they are working for an Aggie. ;)

wakereviews 09-22-2011 8:07 AM

Borens move, although bold/stupid, may have been the best thing that could have happened. Obviously the PAC's revelation that they aren't expanding pretty much eliminated any leverage he had but it seems that they are still getting some demands met, which is going to be good for the entire league. Mizzou is supposedly 100% in which is good, so we just need 3 more teams and the Big12 is back!

bbeach 09-22-2011 11:13 AM

I think the B12 adds BYU, WVU and Air Force to get back to 12.

kstateskier 09-22-2011 5:55 PM

I think it's Louisville over either Air Force or WVU. I think the Mountaineers are a long shot as I think they want in the SEC. Though I kind of like the idea of a service academy in the conference, Louisville's facilities are already on par with the rest of the conference, if not better than most.

scott_a 09-22-2011 8:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakereviews (Post 1709958)
Borens move, although bold/stupid, may have been the best thing that could have happened. Obviously the PAC's revelation that they aren't expanding pretty much eliminated any leverage he had but it seems that they are still getting some demands met, which is going to be good for the entire league. Mizzou is supposedly 100% in which is good, so we just need 3 more teams and the Big12 is back!

I wonder if it all went down like this:

OU: Hey Pac 12
P12: Hey OU, what's up?
OU: This is a bunch of BS, still lookin to expand?
P12: hmm...
OU: we just checked with our regents and they're cool with us moving west...
P12: orly? Well, we said we wouldn't fire the first shots, but if the Big 12 isn't gonna work out...
OU: yeah, we hate Beebe and all the BS...
P12: well, we'd love to have you, but you'll have to leave the Big 12 on your own before we do this....
OU: ok, we're gonna go make some crazy demands in a newspaper or two and try to get Beebe ousted and if that doesn't work then maybe we'll just leave...
P12: Cool. Keep in touch...

So, really, OU's plan might just be to stir the pot knowing full well that if things don't work out they can always leave for the Pac 12. Texas becoming involved in all of this might have been to find out how much they still love their Longhorn Network.

And remember that the SEC did the same "we're not going to expand" stuff when A&M contacted them the first time around.

bbeach 09-23-2011 5:11 AM

no matter what happens

No matter what happens from here on out I've got to believe the B12 is better off with Dan Beebe out the door! That dude was WORTHLESS!