WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archive through February 23, 2009 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=674223)
-   -   What Makes a Great Grassroots Tournament? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=658432)

perfski 01-10-2009 8:46 PM

Hey all, <BR>I'm sure alot of you ride in comp's around the country / world. Asking for some insight / ideas from you. What are the things about a event that make you want to ride in it....come back and compete. <BR>Its easy to just do the "status quo"...but figured if I opened these ideas up to a wider audience...we could improve how we run / what we do at our events. <BR> <BR>Thanks in advance for your input. Hopefully rider input...will equate to better rider events! <BR> <BR> <BR>Bill @ Performance &amp; The Gravel Tour

jsquared 01-12-2009 7:05 AM

Mr. Porter, <BR> <BR>Your contests RULE!!! <BR> <BR>John

lftaylor 01-12-2009 8:15 AM

Bill the series is great the way the Gravel Tour is done. The awards at the end make it key. I know that all the kids look forward to the final day when you award all the "Goodies" from the pro shop and the trophies especially. I know all the kids especially are very excited to walk away with a trophy as tall as they are. This is really a great event. So to the question I think atmosphere is very key. Trophies or awards. then announcing is very key. If the announcer doesn't know what tricks the rider is doing it makes a very boring day. A good announcer is key. Only other thing might be add a VERY SIMPLE slider for the younger divisions. I know there was a group in the KY area where they ad a table top slider and most of the kids enjoyed it. wasn't anything to hard but gave young riders who never even seen this get a chance to observe and watch. And yes to everyone else there were a few more pick-ups due to falls but the crowd was very interested also because it was different. Thanks <BR>Scott

josh_cole 01-13-2009 10:07 AM

Gravel is for sure the best competition i have rode in. Quality and the atmosphere are the keys to which make it AWESOME! <BR> <BR>Josh Cole

alliecat0223 01-14-2009 12:15 PM

Bill, I have never been to your events but the Brown's say they are great, but for me I know Im not the best rider but I feel bad being 25 riding against someone under 13. Since at times Im one of the only girl beginer/ novice riders. I hate riding against a little guy. Its great for them but not when I know if I was to beat them I would feel like wormslime.

jason_ssr 01-15-2009 1:28 PM

Having helped plan, ridden, or judged in more than I can count, I can give you one guys perspective of what a grassroots event should be. <BR> <BR>Taylor hit on it. Its all about atmosphere. IMO the best thing you can do at a grassroots even is to diffuse the "competition" mentality. First thing is to get rid of cash prizes. Cash creates alot of headaches at the grassroots level. It changes things from a riders fun to a riders occupation. Its no fun judging when you are choosing who earns a paycheck. Lately the competitions Ive been to seem to get really segregated. The kids want to be around the better riders and be encouraged by them. However, with upper divisions not starting til later, many better riders dont even come out til later or they just sit in their camper til time to ride. Many times kids have to leave before outlaw even starts! Mixing it up together makes it more fun for all. <BR> <BR>The best event Ive ever been to was put on by Todd Weatherill 9 or 10 years ago. The format was simple, any rider could choose any boat available, and had unlimited falls on the course. There were no "divisions". Everyone rode with everyone else. Basically a no pressure opportunity to not only do what you know, but also to push yourself without consequence. At the end, all the riders got to choose who they thought rode the best. After the talley, all the prizes were raffled off to ALL the riders. Everyone who rode got their name in there once. Those voted onto the podium got extra entries based on their placement. Those who podiumed were not all the top outlaw riders, I know one kid got on there because he was just really pushing his limits and it was apparent to all. When the raffle was done, many riders who didnt ride well still made out good, while the top riders draw was modest. Everyone walked away with something. The best part was the entry fee: absolutely FREE. <BR> <BR>I would say that single event did more for industry sales, long term, than any other Ive ever seen. More love for the sport was born that day than you would believe. A good percentage of those who rode that day not only accounted for tons of revenue for the sport over the years, but also became employees of the companies at the top of the industry today, haha! I know I won a couple of items, and I still buy those brands to this day because of their support of the event. I still shopped at that shop, even after I moved away, til the owner retired.

redsupralaunch 01-15-2009 1:45 PM

I agree with Jason about cash prizes. <BR> <BR>If a sponsor has the $ for a payday, why take money from a first timer. The sport would grow much faster with no entry fees.

magellan 01-15-2009 2:10 PM

I would assume we will see FAR fewer events this year as marketing budgets will be slashed....and rightfully so.

johnm_ttu 01-15-2009 8:15 PM

One of my favorite grass roots events is Wake the Desert in San Angelo, TX. The reason I like the event is because everyone can pull up their trailer or set up their campsite all along the length of the run. I think this helps to keep a stable crowd on hand for the entire weekend. I realize this seems pretty simple, but you really have to have the right kind of site to get acceptable water and camping facilities.