WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archive through November 14, 2005 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=268197)
-   -   2k Outback with 350 Indmar Idle Prolbem - Help! (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=258914)

rdizzle 10-08-2005 8:57 PM

Hey all, <BR> <BR>Ive got a question for the gearheads out there. My boat is having a problem idling. It wont hold idle at all. I changed plugs and fuel filter. The engine fires and I can rev in neutral at about 2-3K rpms but once I let off, the engine dies, I have to constanly give gas to hold the revs up. The engine will not go into drive or reverse either without dying. <BR> <BR>It seems like an electrical problem somewhere. I have taken a glance at the carbs and can see fuel being delivered. <BR> <BR>I am mechanically inclined and pretty good around an engine. Any advice or suggestions on what to look for next? Or where I can find information on similar issues? <BR> <BR>Thanks everyone. <BR> <BR>

acurtis_ttu 10-09-2005 6:19 PM

(TPS) Throttle Position Sensor

rdizzle 10-10-2005 6:54 AM

hey adam, <BR> <BR>thanks for the info. where is the TPS located? On carb? Elsewhere? Is it an adjusment screw of some sort? <BR> <BR>

trace 10-10-2005 7:36 AM

there's no TPS on a carbureted engine. if there were, it would be on the throttle body (looks like the carb on an EFI engine), opposite side of the throttle linkage. <BR> <BR>has the boat been stored for a while? did the problem start suddenly, or get worse over time?

acurtis_ttu 10-10-2005 7:59 AM

sorry...didn't even notice the motor was carbbed. <BR>Try running some carb cleaner thru it first and see if it helps. Have you/anyone adjusted the idle screw by accident?

peter_c 10-10-2005 8:05 AM

Not sure what carb they are using but are there two, three, or four wires going to it? If so once will be for the choke heater, and the two other could be for a mixture control solenoid, with a third being an idle cut switch. Idle switchs are usually mounted in the side of the carb with a single wire coming right out the end. A jet could easily be plugged, and that is easy to test by injecting propane into it, one side at a time. I have found that the mixture on boats needs to be set in gear while moving in the water for best running performance.

azwakekid 10-10-2005 8:29 AM

if its a holly carb i bet its your float level, and if its a q-jet i bet you need it rebuilt, and if you dont want to mess with it take it down to darner marine on main and power (northwest side) and they will for sure make things right

rdizzle 10-10-2005 12:05 PM

Trace- the boat hasnt been in storage at all. the problem has slowly gotten worse up to no idle at all. <BR> <BR>Rodney &amp; Peter-It is a holly carb 4150ccm(?). <BR> <BR>Rodney - Do you know the approx. turnaround time at Darner? <BR> <BR>Thanks to everyone! <BR> <BR> <BR>

ss1234 10-10-2005 12:58 PM

for what it's worth.....I had an old nastified cap and rotor create the same problem. Quick, easy, and cheap fix.

azwakekid 10-10-2005 2:12 PM

its pretty fast this time of year, in tuesday morning out wendesday afternoon, just tell them u need it asap they usually do a good job about time