WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   Tower Speakers (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=794964)

cablair37 08-08-2012 11:46 AM

Tower Speakers

Looking to purchase some tower speakers. Not really worried about getting the music out the rider, being that we mainly hang out in the cove. Really just wanting to know what would be the best speaker to choose to get music to the back of the boat.

tyler97217 08-08-2012 11:58 AM

oh boy.... get ready for world war 3......

You are going to get tons of opinions on this one.... just remember they are all opinions.... You will mostly hear Exile and Wetsounds probably cause they are the most popular.
I run and like Exile. www.exileaudio.com
I just have what they call the surf speaker. Better for what you are looking to do. You can still hear them behind the boat when wakeboarding, but if you want true projection you would look at their wake speakers, which are horns....

wakereviews 08-08-2012 12:09 PM

What is your budget?

cablair37 08-08-2012 12:24 PM

I figured thats what i would hear. Not really on a budget. I just dont want the cheapest speaker out there nor do i wanna spend a fortune on speakers.. Really just looking for a decent sound for hanging out

Rad_Matty_D 08-08-2012 12:52 PM

Just do a bit of research. The main players are: WetSounds, Exile, Samson, Bullet, JL & Kicker

david_e_m 08-08-2012 1:02 PM

Chris,
There are different levels of hanging out behind the boat.
You might be in a calm area with a few friends where you want good sound quality but are still able to have comfortable conversation in the water and around the swimdeck. A single pair of 6.5" or 7.7" speakers might get the job done in that case. That is very different from being the music host for a larger group at a more popular destination where some volume and projection is still expected even though you are at rest. That might require a pair of 10" HLCDs.
So really think it through so you only do this once.
Then the speakers will determine the amplifier choice.
If you are playing at rest for any time period it really pays to go with fullrange Class D amplification because Class D operates 60 percent more efficiently than the previous technology.

David
Earmark Marine

cablair37 08-08-2012 1:32 PM

Right on. I will have to look more into it. thanks for all the help

talltigeguy 08-08-2012 1:55 PM

What David said about doing it once...some of us have played this game many times over before we finally just pulled out our wallets.

Don't forget to budget the amp. What he said.

cablair37 08-08-2012 2:04 PM

i will prolly just have to make a trip to his shop and take a look at speakers. im not much of the audio guy and there is a lot of brands out there and really a lot to know about all this stuff. haha

cablair37 08-08-2012 2:44 PM

Another problem i will run into is i only have about a foot of space between the top of the tower and the bimini top. I plan on doing a full system upgrade which i have already replaced the factory in boat speakers with kicker 6200's but still waiting on a amp for those. I plan on putting a sub and tower speakers in the near future.

snork 08-08-2012 3:11 PM

Hands down go Wetsounds rev10

Truekaotik 08-08-2012 3:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cablair37 (Post 1774440)
Looking to purchase some tower speakers. Not really worried about getting the music out the rider, being that we mainly hang out in the cove. Really just wanting to know what would be the best speaker to choose to get music to the back of the boat.

I would think a pair of icon8's or some JL 7.7 coaxials would work just fine pushed properly.. You could even do 4 if ya want a little more range.. Now if you want to be that guy at some point, the biggest HLCD you can find would be the best choice then... I agree with these guys you need to decide what you want, doing it once is easiest... :)

Elliottsx80 08-09-2012 12:01 PM

its pretty simple actually. sell your first born child, or your mom depending on the market then call wetsounds!

jbird 08-09-2012 12:15 PM

I don't know...On our '03 Sanger V230, we have Polk db's throughout and on the tower, loaded in a NeoBullet enclosure, powered by Planet Audio! It fits the era and suits our family just fine!

tampawake 08-09-2012 1:21 PM

http://exileaudio.com/store/index.ph...-speakers.html

This is hard to beat. Get same warranty as brand new.

tyler97217 08-09-2012 1:24 PM

^^^ that is a good deal. bet those will be gone soon. says 3 pairs left at that price...