WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Progression and years riding. (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=800000)

jordanh 09-17-2013 12:05 PM

Progression and years riding.

Just curious to see what type of yearly progressin you guys have had since your first year of riding? For example how long did it take you for w2w's, then 180's, basic inverts, so on so forth.

dezul 09-17-2013 12:19 PM

I learned at the beginning of 2012 summer and was going hs w2w by the end of the summer. I have been plagued with injury for most of August and July so my riding was limited this summer. I recently got ts w2w and plan on trying switch 180's soon and progressing it next summer.

Prestoooooo 09-17-2013 12:29 PM

my first summer i had w2w with several grabs, hs 180, and tantrum.

CHern5972 09-17-2013 12:43 PM

Thats a long time ago... 1998

wakebordr11 09-17-2013 1:22 PM

took me literally hundreds of attempts at the backroll to get it. I think I was into 2004 before I got hs 360s, 2005 ts 360s, 2006 was backrolls and ts 5s. 2009 was ts backs, 2011 was a tantrum... took me a while, its fun every time though!

andy_nintzel 09-17-2013 2:38 PM

I cant remember when I learned my first 180's, I started riding in 1992. Yep 1992, Pink Skurfer Launch. I do know I learned a tantrum in 1994.

Just make sure your having fun, that's all that matters at the end of the day.

99Bison 09-17-2013 3:03 PM

Yea, and how old were you at these steps :)

wakebordr11 09-17-2013 6:28 PM

Yea Andy, how old are you!

Dustfarter 09-17-2013 8:11 PM

I was a 3 event skier back in '95 and I got basic rolls and spins almost right away but it took almost 20 years to get a HS Raley behind a boat :)
I've learn't more trick in the last 4 years ( I'm 38) than I did in the all the others by a long shot. I guess I'm having a weird mid life crisis.
One of my best friends had the best progression I've ever seen. In two years he went from basic riding to 5's and a whole slew of inverts.....grabbed too. He started riding when he was 33 or so.

HighWater 09-18-2013 7:54 AM

first year w2w hs with several grabs, and hs backrolls. year 2 ts w2w became consistent with grabs. End of 2nd year injury working on glides to flats....wasnt riding within my limits...after 3 surgeries on my right knee, and 1 more still to go this year, along with turning 30...I took up wake surfing...plan on getting back to wakeboarding some next year just keep it simple and riding short rope lengths...

skiboarder 09-18-2013 8:32 AM

We got my dad a HO Hyperlite XP for father's day in 1993. I thought it was lame and rode it every once in a while. It wasn't until Winter of 94 did the first twin-tips catch my eye and blow my mind. I was hooked at that point. I learned 15 inverts or so in the summer of 96 on a Connelly T2. I was also a ski-school slave that was paid in rides so I made every ride count.

gene3x 09-18-2013 10:20 AM

Wow, it amazes me that people even have trouble at all going wake to wake. It just seemed so natural for me I guess.... everything else didn't..... Trying backrolls without any instruction (much less riding with anybody who knew anything a/b wakeboarding) behind my I/O the same year broke my foot and have injured myself every year since (sans one). :banghead:

I started at 36 in 2005 and am actually losing tricks now after learning through taking beatings :banghead:

inverts/spins landed - 15
inverts/spins currently in my quiver - 8

:confused:

andy_nintzel 09-23-2013 9:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakebordr11 (Post 1845428)
Yea Andy, how old are you!

Ha, good question. I am 34. So if you do the math on this, I started riding at 11-12, my folks bought me a Skurfer right from Tony Finn at the MPLS boat show. They gave it to me as a gift that Xmas we didnt really use it at all because I was the only one who could get up on it. In the late summer of 1992 I got an original H.O. Hyperlite wakeboard, then it was on. Eveyone could get up on it, and it was way more fun thank trick skiing. The following summer 1993 after I saved money all winter and got the H.O Hyperlite Pro. At the time I was already a 3 event skier, I could do a 360 a trick ski, back then being a trick skier really helped you pick-up wakeboarding especially with the early directional boards.

mcane6 09-23-2013 11:44 AM

I'm 26....4th year riding. w2w grabs, hs fs 360, tantrum....just started working on riding switch, 180s and adding grabs to my 3.

eubanks01 09-23-2013 12:47 PM

Not unlike Gene, I've lost more tricks that I currently have in my bag! I started riding in '93 or '94 and didn't learn too much when I was riding a hand full of times a year in the beginning. Wakeboarding has something you did for fun at the lake but wasn't taken seriously as compared to all the other school sponsored team sports. Back then though if you could do a big W2W jump then you were a stud. I learned my first invert (backroll) behind an i/o back in '99 I think. I think my invert and spin list in order of things I learned went something like: backroll, raley, TS 3, tantrum, HS roll-to-revert, TS roll-to-revert, HS 3, scarecrow, front roll, BS 1.

I think progression has a lot to do with physically ability, but I think it has much more to do with age and time on the water. Taking 50 sets over 5 years isn't the same as taking 50 sets in 1 year.

phathom 09-23-2013 1:43 PM

Been wakeboarding for about 15 years. Learned as a teenager from some guys we met camping who let me use their board and gave me a few pointers.
From there I was pretty much on my own not knowing anyone who wakeboarded and being stuck behind our family's I/O. We eventually designed and built a custom transom pylon to help me get more air. I still had no one who wakeboarded aside from a few friends here and there that I taught to get up and what I knew.
I could cut around and do butter slides and lip slides, had a hard time riding switch and barely got any air off the wake. This was due to the fact that I had no idea how to pop, coming from a skateboarding background, I was trying to olly off the lip which got me no where. With me pretty much on my own I kinda gave it up for a while, a while being like 6 years.
I started riding regularly again this year, this time with more experienced guys on a proper wakeboat. Not only did I learn how to pop, but also that the wake the I/O put out was also hindering me from getting any air as it was very flat, but I knew no different then.
Now I am very comfortable, can do W2W, 180s, and ride switch better than I could before.
Even though I have a lot of years under my belt. I don't count myself to have a lot of experience because I had no support to push me to progress until now.
So within 1 year that is what I progressed to. I probably would have progressed more as well if I wasn't so concerned with getting as much wakesurfing time in as I can over wakeboarding time.

fly135 09-24-2013 8:09 AM

I'm about to hit 58 and have spent the last 20+ years of my life in a mid-life crisis, and hopefully 20+ more to come. :) I learned 3's, backroll, and scarecrow behind the boat in the mid 90's and haven't progressed hardly at all since except for rail riding at the cable. I'd rather be out riding and getting my exercise than sitting on the couch nursing a back or ankle, so I don't mind the lack of progress.

99Bison 09-24-2013 8:16 AM

:) +++ love it

tn_rider 09-24-2013 2:48 PM

I'm 21, started riding when I was 12. Have more board control than you could ever imagine with a small bag of tricks. Blew my knee out the first time at 14 and have done it 3 more times since. All wakeboarding. I have 2 inverts but rarely do both. Can spin hs and ts 360's with grabs on both landing blind or regular. Then a bunch of random small stuff like coming up backwards or riding on the very front of the board. Been close on tumbleturns but haven't gotten one. I work to pay for my boat so getting hurt is not ideal lol.

ottog1979 09-24-2013 3:39 PM

I'm a John Anderson wanna be and following his lead. At 52, my progression is taking years! I was a waterskier in high school and college growing up but moved to CA and got distracted with other sports and raising kids for 20 years. Took up wakeboarding in 2005 because a buddy did it, had a boat and it brought me back to my days on the water growing up. Bought my own boat and just love wakeboarding but my bag of tricks is limited to w2w 180's and some grabs. I get out about once a week April - November, not as much time as I'd like. Working on getting switch w2w jumps, back roll now & then and soon blind 180's. But, like John, I'd rather be out doing it and doing it for years more than being too aggressive, injured and having to lay up or quit. I separated my shoulder in August mountain biking which took me out of wakeboarding for 4-5 weeks - hated that. Hope to be doing this in some form for a long time (60's, maybe 70's).

gene3x 09-27-2013 9:24 AM

Jarrett, physical ability has something to do with it but I am convinced now that progression in this sport is tied to keeping your original enthusiasm in check and not going out to try stuff beyond your skill level injuring yourself in the process. Like Andy said a few years ago "I like taking a beating, it actually fills a need" I totally agree there is nothing like a good face plant but the rehab process is what kills it for me. Who wants to be sitting around nursing injuries in the winter like I have for the last 6 seasons? :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
lol