WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   Swimdeck Underwater lighting (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=791330)

silverlude 01-04-2012 2:27 PM

Swimdeck Underwater lighting

Can someone explain to me how to instal,types of lighting (How many LED's to get a good set up) and maybe some pics. I have a 08 VTX I would like to add this to and don't know where to start. I assume I can just add wiring from MUX aux switch to rear of boat,drill a hole thru hull and then what? We are out at nite alot and I think this would help for some safety concerns and look pretty sharp back there as well. Thanks for any and all help

bmock50 01-04-2012 2:48 PM

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=716011

^^^^ Thats a good link for all the info you should need. The shadowcasters are pretty pricy though.

silverlude 01-05-2012 5:45 AM

Thanks for that thread Brett, Grant's project is definetly more in-depth than I want to go at this time.I was hoping for some pics of others and some tips as I mentioned so I can figure out how to do this myself. Have seen a few kits for sale 6-8 lites,kinda wondering if anyone has used those and are they happy with them ect....

UNvisible 01-05-2012 11:58 AM

personally, i think underwater lighting is pretty gay.

stuey 01-05-2012 1:13 PM

It's pretty easy to install them. I have a VTX also and I installed 4 x Malibu LED lights (the long thin ones) on either side of the swim step brackets and it looks awesome at night. Don't count on them for any safety reasons, its simple a 'cool' factor. Can't remember the cost but around $200 a pair. All it takes is 2 screw holes and a hole in the middle to feed the wires through, sealed with some underwater sealant. I wired mine to my 'Dock Lights' MUX tab (I don't have docking lights) along with my cupholder and interior leds... very easy to do.

Put some masking tape over the holes to eliminate chipping the gel, and run the drill in reverse to get a pilot hole. Measure twice drill once!!!

I'll see if I can find some pics of mine.

you_da_man 01-05-2012 1:21 PM

^^^ Now was a useful reply. Anyways, I've seen those LED pod kits on one boat and it did not light up very well AND the water in this case was pretty clear...maybe 6-7ft. Companies like Shadowcaster and Abyss make a great, quality product. I'm in the same situation you are in getting transom lights. I'm going with an RGB light (red, green, blue in a single unit) and control to allow color choices, fade, or strobe up to16 colors. the shape of your transom will determine light placement, water clarity will effect brightness or results, the choice of light beam (spot or flood) is a decision, also you have to consider how much power is needed and IF you may need an extra battery or larger battery. Lots to consider...buts its a cool mod if done correctly.

bmock50 01-05-2012 2:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by you_da_man (Post 1724294)
I'm going with an RGB light (red, green, blue in a single unit) and control to allow color choices, fade, or strobe up to16 colors.

More info on the lights?

UNvisible 01-05-2012 4:36 PM

Yeah I have 4 of the malibu style lights in blue. They are the best bang for buck for sure.

silverlude 01-05-2012 7:12 PM

personally, i think underwater lighting is pretty gay
Yeah I have 4 of the malibu style lights in blue. They are the best bang for buck for sure

Dude, what is your deal??? Add something intelligent or don't bother.

silverlude 01-05-2012 7:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Anyone tried or seen this one from Earmark Marine?

silverlude 01-06-2012 7:47 AM

2 Attachment(s)
OR,, Anyone seen or used these? Aqualeds.com Wh/Bl & Green colors. Looks like well built ect.. More Lumens than the OEM stuff. 1250 vs 1080 (9 lite pod)

andrewjet 01-06-2012 8:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
These are awesome for the budget price of $18ea I bought 8 of them. I took ONE light out in the front yard and it lit up the house across the street with a 9-volt batt. Im doing a $5000 make over on my boat right now so another $600-$1000 for the best lights were not on my list. I just needed some for style points not to light up the bottom of our DARK brown lakes here in TX. lol. 2-4 on ea side 2- in the middle will be fine. Jet

http://www.oznium.com/marine-led-spotlight/photos

bcrider 01-06-2012 9:36 AM

I have the ones like Earmark installed under my swimdeck. They shoot down so you only get about a 2' glow out the back. The light pods are from superbrightleds.com

you_da_man 01-06-2012 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmock50 (Post 1724304)
More info on the lights?

http://www.earmarkcaraudio.com/Xcart...cat=264&page=1

david_e_m 01-06-2012 11:12 AM

Brian,
The photo that you referenced from the Earmark site of the "under swim deck" lights create a halo directly around the perimeter of the swimdeck. Its effective if that is all you want. But this approach is not intended to project light out into the water like the transom-mounted underwater lights. Its two entirely different effects. Its important that you know the difference. Most people are looking for the projection rather than the halo.

David
Earmark Marine

ilikebeaverandboats 01-06-2012 11:28 AM

Seablaze 5, easy install, we run 2 of them

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k4...5/GOPR0447.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k4...5/IMG_0406.jpg
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k4...5/IMG_0410.jpg

silverlude 01-06-2012 11:53 AM

David, thanks for the input. I'm thinking of wiring up both types to have both effects. Like the looks and function of both systems. That way I can have 2 styles of effects for the swim deck and projection useage while surfing ect... Do your lites for under the platform mounts via adhesion or by screws? How have reports been of how they held up over time? Any wiring comin loose issues? Is it worth it to buy the "pod bezels" and instal those with the lites?

UNvisible 01-06-2012 1:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverlude (Post 1724357)
personally, i think underwater lighting is pretty gay
Yeah I have 4 of the malibu style lights in blue. They are the best bang for buck for sure

Dude, what is your deal??? Add something intelligent or don't bother.

Ok, i'll add something intelligent when you stop making threads about subjects that have been beaten to death. You could easily search for the answers you've requested, but you're obviously lazy and ignorant.

you_da_man 01-06-2012 2:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UNvisible (Post 1724526)
Ok, i'll add something intelligent when you stop making threads about subjects that have been beaten to death. You could easily search for the answers you've requested, but you're obviously lazy and ignorant.

I don't know...the original question is about platform lighting...NOT transom lighting like most of us have replied with...including yourself sir. So I dont' think "platform" lighting has been beaten to death but maybe "transom" lighting has...just saying.

grant_west 01-06-2012 2:55 PM

IMO the down fire Swim Deck LED lights are a waste. They offer Little to NO effect compaired to Underwater light's. Before Underwater (transom) mounted lights were common, The under the deck LED lights were all most people knew about. NOW that underwater lights are somewhat cheep I think people souldn't even waste their time with the swimdeck style.

I forgot the name of the Malibu style transom mounted LED lights, I do remember they were pretty bright for the Cost.

Now that their are so many more New Players in the Underwater LED light game Im sure another "test" would bring a bunch of new players to the game.

That being said. After the orignal LED Test that Mike and I did. Abyss was not happy with the results and pretty much will not return any of my calls. Kinda sucks because everyone else that was in the test was cool with the outcome good or bad and I still talk to them. Kinda feel Like I made a enemey with Abyss.

lifetimewarranty 01-06-2012 2:58 PM

That link to G's boat is insane. G you are a crazy person:D

I would love to be "able" to run at night but my local lake is a No-Night lake...on account of lots of rocks most likely (I realize I can go to other lakes...). We have absolutely incredible water - super clear - though so it would be cool (erie) to cruise around it in the dark with those lights showing the crazy rock formations under the surface:eek:

david_e_m 01-06-2012 3:41 PM

Brian,
To answer your questions....and to add just a bit more info,
Transom-mount underwater lights:
The better and brighter underwater lights are going to be encased in a metal puc or housing for the best heat transfer.
Some of the moderate lights are completely potted in plastic and thats okay...but those are not the strongest lights.
Transom lights are screw-mounted and the only thru-hull penetration is a 3/16" hole for the cable. Its completely reliable if you execute the installation correctly. We do thru-hull sonar transducers on 55 foot sportyachts with massive displacement using many of the same techniques and materials. Never an issue after more than a decade.
Under-swimdeck-lights:
Ours lights use a sealer and screws per our written instructions and diagrams. Both are required. Also, the wiring has to be strain-relieved with multiple screw downs. Why? Because there is a ton of drag against the fixtures and harness when mounted to the underside of a swim platform. In the case of this type of light it has a watertight jacket over a disconnect (so that you can pull the platform if needed) and the hull penetration uses a small gland or clamshell just above the water line. If you follow the instructions exactly then there are no problems.

David
Earmark Marine

992envy 01-06-2012 8:58 PM

I vote for the shadow casters. Simple small whole drilled in the back of the boat, use the 3M water resistant glue they recommend, as well as there template. I wired a relay and used my factory wash down as the switch to turn them on. I absolutely love them as well as any friends we bring on the boat. Very fun effect if you are camping or swimming @ night.

silverlude 01-07-2012 7:41 AM

Trying to "get to know" my boat and wiring ect... In looking over and reading some things, looks like it's simply be easier to just add switces for my lites than trying to go thru the Malibu MUX switch system. Maybe easier for others who operate my boat to locate functions ect... Any input? What types of switches have you guys found that hold up well in marine applications? Only talking 3amp draw so don't have to be heavy duty but they will be in a boat so any special consideration for construction given?

wakebrdr94 01-07-2012 11:21 AM

Going through the MIX System is not difficult at all. The is already an empty AUX spot in there. Just add a relay and your set. That's how I wired my cabin and speaker LEDS. Looks clean, no extra switches.

silverlude 01-09-2012 5:12 PM

Ok for the Tower lites, have schematic in hand, under the dash, can't seem to find the "Two relay driver outputs switching low side" Says it has a WH w Black stripe and a white wire (aft Driver) set comin out of Mailbu MMDC Dash Computer, where the heck are they at? Do ya gotta tear into a harness somewhere?? I bought a 30a relay that can control two lites, Per the schematic I got off Bakes I should be good to go if I could only find the wires. Any hints on where to find those babies??
As far as the new swim deck/transom lites, installed a new fuse/buss bar and adding stand alone switches under dash for those and some accent lites. THe MUX menu seems to confuse my wife and son.... stand alone switches will solve that,,, hopefully.

silverlude 02-08-2012 10:41 AM

Got all the tower lites figured out. As far as the transom lights, I'm going with the Aqualeds in blue.Separate stand alone switch so they can be turned on without other interior lites ect.. being on. Question for Malibu guys, where have you found is best for mounting location? I was thinking just outside of exhaust ports between the swim deck mounts so the wedge in up position blocks as little light as possible. Seems tho it may be tougher to get to the wires once thru the hull as there is a channel in there that already has wires and ballast hoses in it. Also gotta watch out for the ballst pump. Some factory lites are mounted just above exhaust but seems that the wedge would block quite a bit of the light projection. Any thoughts or input appreciated.

silverlude 02-15-2012 8:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Water test w Aqualed in local lake. Mounted the lights to a weighted board at width would be on the transom of my boat and made temp harness,used a atv battery and got test done. Water at the lake is very murky right now due to silt removal goin on in the marina area but light pattern is good I think,even in the murky water it projected 20'.