WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archive through March 18, 2009 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=680898)
-   -   Carlisle tires - are the new ones better? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=590187)

boardridesurf 06-12-2008 9:38 PM

I need new tires for my tandem trailer and the Marathon tires are $104 per tire (quote of about $440 for 4 balanced and mounted at Discount Tire). I can purchase Carlisles for about $270. Are the Carlisles better than a few years ago when everyone had problems with them. I think that Extreme Trailers still uses them and I cant see them using them is they were still crap. <BR> <BR>Thanks for the feedback.

Ben Kerran 06-12-2008 9:44 PM

My last pair came with my trailer ( 06 ) and they were HORRIBLE. I would never buy another pair. My 2c

ttuclint 06-13-2008 12:35 AM

have had Carlisles on our trailer for three years and no problems.

srock 06-13-2008 6:13 AM

I just had my second Marathon blow out in 2 years. I only use the trailer about twice a year and the tires were from 2001. I was never a Carlisle fan due to past experiences but maybe the problem resides in the age of the tire. After five or six years they just need to be replaced especially if your doing any distance driving.

cla10beck 06-13-2008 6:44 AM

No issues for me after 3 years (knock on wood). I did however decide to go with the D load rating instead of the C load rating for piece of mind because I have a S/A. <BR> <BR>IMO, take the $170 difference and get a spare and pocket the rest.

sanddragon2004 06-13-2008 8:24 AM

blew out every single carlisle i ever had on my toyhauler! id never get those pos again, and their customer service is horrible!

freshtracks 06-13-2008 11:26 AM

I have an 06 as well and had my first blow out last weekend. I knew about the Carlisle's reputation(CRAPPY one) and figures I was on borrowed time after two seasons. I just replaced all 5 yesterday(including spare) with Maxxis trailer tires. They are great, had them on my last boat trailer and never had a problem. I paid $400 for all 5- 215/75/14. <BR> <BR>BTW- My uncle just picked up a new Extreme trailer and they did not have Carlisle's,they are using some other brand that I cannot remember. <BR> <BR>(Message edited by freshtracks on June 13, 2008)

mikeski 06-13-2008 12:36 PM

They just started selling Tow Masters at Costco, $80 each mounted. Not all Costco's, I think it's a trial thing. In NorCal the Livermore Costco is has them, not San Ramon, not San Mateo. Not sure where they have them in your state.

showmedonttellme 06-13-2008 12:49 PM

God I love WW. I just laugh and laugh!! Hysterical! "blew out every single carlisle i ever had on my toyhauler! id never get those pos again, and their customer service is horrible!"

flux 06-13-2008 12:54 PM

I have goodyear marathons and have replaced all four over the last 2 years due to the original 02 tires all starting to crack, separate, and sometimes bubble. By keeping them inflated, wiped down with 404 protectant here and there, and keeping a watchful eye on them I have managed to avoid blowouts and replace them incrementally. <BR> <BR>I would get the best rated, highest weight class tire I can find for around 100 bucks. The marathons work well for me and we probably trialer close to 2000 miles a year on highways at 65mph. At that speed I want the best tire I can get. <BR> <BR>Seems like everyone is in agreement that these things have a 5 year lifespan for average towing. I found it best to replace before blowout.

lakeski 06-13-2008 2:30 PM

Check prices on Tirerack.com. Sometimes they are quite competitive.

timmyb 06-13-2008 2:42 PM

I think they're fine if you aren't towing at high speeds. My buddy has gone threw 3 or 4 of the newer ones but he thinks that he needs to tow his boat at 85 mph and they just can't take it.