WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Non-Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4387)
-   -   SUV ideas for the wife (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=792820)

baitkiller 04-16-2012 5:18 PM

SUV ideas for the wife

Mamma needs a new whip.

We have three kids young enough to still demand space. So fixed third row seating is a must. We haul lots of crap and do pretty long road trips. Towing is not an issue, I have my truck.
I really like the Nissan Armada but the bad ass V8 is useless to me and 18 MPG leaves me feeling thirsty. But that gives you an idea of the car Im looking for.

So my need are a largeish SUV with a V-6 and good mialage, 2-3 years old. Leather and E systrem. for 20K or less.

Thoughts?

logan 04-16-2012 5:20 PM

Hyundai Santa Fe

jeff_mn 04-16-2012 6:31 PM

The Traverse/Acadia is absolutely dominating the crossover/3rd row market right now. Stepping up to a Tahoe/Denali/Armada - you start getting into thirsty V8's and truck chassis (ie: ride quality). If you want better than awful mileage and space - Acadia is tough to beat. There is more room for strollers/luggage/etc behind the third row in an Acadia than in a Tahoe. Gotta step up to a Burban before you find more room in back..

We have an X5 and enjoy it and the new models have an available 3rd row - but things get real tight in that size SUV. Same goes for Land Rover/Range Rover. The Audi Q7 is a bit more spacious in the back but they are pretty "proud" of their product $$..

We drove Armadas and would have bought one over the Tahoe/Denali but wife thought it felt "trucky" inside. Loud(er), rides like a truck, etc.

Good problem to have. Lots of stuff out there if you have a budget around $30k+

jeff_mn 04-16-2012 6:33 PM

FYI - Armada wont even TOUCH 18mph - more like 11-12 in town and 15ish on the freeway.

$20k for 2-3 years old, 3rd row seat, leather is going to be REALLY hard to find anything decent at $20k. REALLY hard. You can find a high mileages (80k+) Traverse/Acadia in that range but not a ton else.

A (2) year old Armada (2010) with leather and options isn't going to be anywhere near your $20k mark either.

Have you considered a mini-van? Better value and ticks your check boxes. I wouldn't dream of it - some don't care though and love them.

boardjnky4 04-16-2012 6:35 PM

Honda pilot

polarbill 04-16-2012 10:02 PM

I was going to say the new Ford Explorer with the 4cyl ecoboost but then you said 20k.

Michael 04-16-2012 10:45 PM

My buddy has a new Yukon and I love the thing, beautiful car.

duckguy 04-17-2012 3:39 AM

The new Jeep Grand Cherokee is awesome

sidekicknicholas 04-17-2012 4:05 AM

I just had a Mazda CX-9 for the last 10 days for a work rental.... it honestly was really nice. Leather/seats seemed very well built, we averaged around 23 mpgs with a 50/50 city highway driving split.

Around here they go for your price point
I've seen 2010s @ 20k and 08's with 60-75k are right around 15k

... might be worth a look

sippi 04-17-2012 6:04 AM

if you're stuck on it being 2-3 years old at 20k you are going to be really limited, especially with entertainment sys and 3rd row with storage. you're going to have to go a little bit older or raise your price a bit.

patrick232 04-17-2012 10:33 AM

Don't look past the full size SUV the MPG is not much worse than a midsize. We have had a Sequoia, Suburban, QX56. All averaged around 14 in the city and 17 on highway. Wife now parks in a parking garage at work wanted wanted smaller. So we bought a AWD Traverse have never seen anything over 19 on the highway. Her average over the past couple of months has been 16.5.
Can't tow well, no 4 low. Really want a full size back.

jetskiprosx 04-17-2012 6:29 PM

Need lots of space, but not a V8...they just what you're looking for, it's called a mini van LOL

I get the practicality of a mini van but I'll never own one and my wife will never drive one. What about a newer tahoe/suburban with the cylinder shut off deal? I hear those will get pretty decent on the freeway and would still tow the boat if ever needed. Unless you never haul more then 4 people, the mid-sized SUV's are kind of worthless IMO. They can't tow as much, don't get all that better mileage, and don't have the room for 5 + gear.

04-17-2012 6:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetskiprosx (Post 1745291)
Need lots of space, but not a V8...they just what you're looking for, it's called a mini van LOL

I get the practicality of a mini van but I'll never own one and my wife will never drive one. What about a newer tahoe/suburban with the cylinder shut off deal? I hear those will get pretty decent on the freeway and would still tow the boat if ever needed. Unless you never haul more then 4 people, the mid-sized SUV's are kind of worthless IMO. They can't tow as much, don't get all that better mileage, and don't have the room for 5 + gear.

I never got more than 20 mpg highway with my '08 Yukon. Thats not mixing city driving.

ttrigo 04-17-2012 8:28 PM

I have a couple of friends who have the honda pilot. They love em. I drove one to vegas a few weeks back. I dont recall the mileage, but it drove nice.

boardjnky4 04-17-2012 9:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ttrigo (Post 1745323)
I have a couple of friends who have the honda pilot. They love em. I drove one to vegas a few weeks back. I dont recall the mileage, but it drove nice.

we really like ours. You can do 18-20mpg only the highway

guido 04-22-2012 1:52 AM

20mpg out of a full size is a pipe dream.

We get 17 from our LR3 with lots of highway. I love the LR3 and they could be had in the price range, but the maintanence can get ugly in a hurry.

baitkiller 04-22-2012 6:51 AM

She has a minivan now. Fully dressed Sienna and I love it. Alas the wife is tired of the whole minivan thing and I cannot budge her. Seriously, practical and logical judgment have no place my conversations with her on this (or assorted other) topic. The kids need space. I cant make it 3 blocks with them shoulder to shoulder in my Super Crew without somebody getting bent and we do straight through 15 hour hauls to TN, from S Florida every summer. I can go a little older or little more $ for the right car. I usually install my own AV systems but that probably isnt gonna work on the late model stuff. Thanks for the thoughts. I just cant see a little SUV with the jump seats as being doable.

Raf1985 04-22-2012 7:04 AM

I had a Trailblazer with a straight 6 and a suburban with a v8 and they got very similar MPG. Any SUV with a 6 cylinder will be underpowered and you will need to be stepping on it quite a bit more, thus chugging a ton of gas. I have also had trucks with v6 and v8, and I will never buy a v6 again. Best way to get good mileage out of them is to NOT put big wheels on it (unsprung weight is #1 MPG killer) and keep the tires inflated to the max. It also helps if you get an intake, exhaust and chip or programmer, as long as you keep your foot out of it.

If I ever get rid of the diesel for an SUV, it will probably be an escalade.

shawndoggy 04-22-2012 7:09 AM

she's gonna miss the minivan. I know I miss our long departed 03 odyssey. I hated buying it, but I hated seeing it go more. As a family hauler the minivan has it on lock. The sliding doors alone...

We have an 06 QX56 now (same as armada). I agree with the others that there's no way that you'll ever get 18 unless you only drive downhill. Ride quality won't touch a van either.

What about a hyundai vera cruz?

baitkiller 04-22-2012 6:26 PM

New player is the Ford Flex.
Thoughts? Experience?

diamonddad 04-22-2012 11:13 PM

Ford is doing great stuff. I dig the flex and the new explorer. The flex is nice and somewhat compact.

patrick232 04-23-2012 1:27 PM

I like the Flex, could not get the wife to look at a Ford. The deep well behind the third row makes it have more space than any mid size SUV.

04-23-2012 1:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baitkiller (Post 1746318)
I just cant see a little SUV with the jump seats as being doable.

What small suv are you talking about?

jarrod 04-23-2012 2:22 PM

3 rows in anything less than a full size just sounds ridiculous. Just because it has three rows, that doesn't mean that they are all useable. But if you're set on this and want a v6, the Honda is probably the best of breed. It sounds like the minivan is perfect.

jeff_mn 04-23-2012 2:32 PM

Flex is great but you still probably cant touch a macked out one for $20k unless its loaded with miles.

baitkiller 04-23-2012 5:20 PM

Not so. Found about a dozen last night 2009-2010 <45K with leather and AV systems running between 19 and 23.

jeff_mn 04-24-2012 6:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baitkiller (Post 1746664)
Not so. Found about a dozen last night 2009-2010 <45K with leather and AV systems running between 19 and 23.

45k isn't exactly low miles and $23k aint $20k - but if you can swing it - thats a great option.

Real talk though - a Flex is as CLOSE to a mini-van as you can get without being a mini-van but you lose most of the utility (sliding doors, seats fold into floors, etc)

Just keep the Sienna if you're going to go that route, imo..

lifetimewarranty 04-24-2012 4:50 PM

Has she driven the Honda Odyssey? Seriously. It actually does the slalom faster than a toyota camry (so it isn't a van/slouch like most), has tons of power and gets usually 23-26mpg's on the highway.

I just picked up a 2005 for my wife (due to a deal I couldn't pass up) and although I didn't want another minivan, this thing completely makes you forget you are in a minivan. This is the one thing you will always read in reviews comparing the Honda to the Dodge/toyota's.

I think I read they actually have more interior volume than a suburban...All seats recline, gobs of space, dang good economy, lots of power (my '05 has like 265 horsepower and the ECO that shuts off cylinders when it can), huge comfy seats, airbags and safety stuff to the hilt, etc....

Did I just recommend a minivan to someone???!:eek::banghead:

and kids with sliding automatic doors is heaven...if you don't need to tow your boat with it, I wouldn't rule it out.

bruizza 04-24-2012 5:20 PM

My fiancé has an Acadia and it meets all your criteria other than the 20k part. The nice thing about the 3rd row is it folds flat so you get a good amount of storage when not using it. You can also just fold half of it down for those long trips to FL when you need more cargo room but seating for 5 comfortably. Hers has quad captains chairs then the 3rd row. Im not positive but I think that's the standard seating in an Acadia.

baitkiller 04-24-2012 5:24 PM

Jeff, Tim. thanks guys I really apreciate your input and I agree. The Sienna I OWN has the 4.2 and frigg'n hauls ass. I love that car. i would just as soon order new factory carpets, upgrade the AV system, a new set of Micheleins, all cash and let her go another 5 years.

IT AINT GONNA HAPPEN! CAPICE'? COMPRENDE?!!! She has done her MV time and its over.
I have been married 15 years and although Im not the smartest guy on this forum, I know what battles are worth fighting in my own domestic realm.

I just found an '09 at a dealer in the white color she wants, with full leather, Nav, and DVD system. 26,000 miles for 22,500. If I can get 5K for the Sienna and throw 3 or 4 more K in cash on top I think I might be doing pretty well. I think Im gonna get beat down pretty good on her car but no lower than 4.

Whatcha think?

diamonddad 04-24-2012 11:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I love my 2011 Honda Pilot. Lots of space. Decent gas mileage. Comfy. Very reliable. Loaded: $37.5K plus T/L. It's a great hauler for my red headed kids...

shredthagnar 04-25-2012 5:40 AM

Have you thought about talking to some auction buddies? Cause you always loose buying new. Buy a car that's a couple years old the depreciation levels off

jeff_mn 04-25-2012 6:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baitkiller (Post 1746948)
Jeff, Tim. thanks guys I really apreciate your input and I agree. The Sienna I OWN has the 4.2 and frigg'n hauls ass. I love that car. i would just as soon order new factory carpets, upgrade the AV system, a new set of Micheleins, all cash and let her go another 5 years.

IT AINT GONNA HAPPEN! CAPICE'? COMPRENDE?!!! She has done her MV time and its over.
I have been married 15 years and although Im not the smartest guy on this forum, I know what battles are worth fighting in my own domestic realm.

I just found an '09 at a dealer in the white color she wants, with full leather, Nav, and DVD system. 26,000 miles for 22,500. If I can get 5K for the Sienna and throw 3 or 4 more K in cash on top I think I might be doing pretty well. I think Im gonna get beat down pretty good on her car but no lower than 4.

Whatcha think?

09' what?

Flex?

With 26k miles at $22.5k?

Yup. Do it.

lifetimewarranty 04-25-2012 8:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baitkiller (Post 1746948)

Heard that my friend.....what Momma wants Momma gets!

ScottR 04-26-2012 6:40 AM

Happy wife = Happy life !! Good man!

jason_ssr 04-26-2012 2:21 PM

I did a 2012 Ford Explorer Limited back in January. I drove alot of the competitors and this was by far the nicest. The ride was about the same in all of them, but the tech in the Ford is far superior to the other offerings.

I get 21 in the city and just got 26 on my last Austin trip.

I say that to say you may find some 2011's in the low\mid 20's.

wakeboardingdad 04-28-2012 6:10 AM

Mine. For sale and ready for immediate delivery.. :D

http://memphis.craigslist.org/cto/2966409574.html

baitkiller 05-02-2012 10:03 AM

Got the deal. 2009 Flex 26,000 miles white on white with white. Loaded, leather, DVD, 19s, extended warranty......

22,500. I am going to pick it up in two hours. Momma had better be happy. Dang it!

jeff_mn 05-04-2012 7:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baitkiller (Post 1748880)
Got the deal. 2009 Flex 26,000 miles white on white with white. Loaded, leather, DVD, 19s, extended warranty......

22,500. I am going to pick it up in two hours. Momma had better be happy. Dang it!

Nice rig/price. Congrats! Post some pics when you get it.

wakeboardingdad 05-10-2012 7:53 PM

The Flex is a nice looking vehicle. Sounds like it was priced right. Still got the TB for sale if it doesn't work out. :D

blastmaster 05-15-2012 8:49 AM

We have a 2009 Flex Ltd we bought used and it is surprisingly bad ass. It gets about 20-24 depending on how we drive it. Comming back from Las Vegas was surprised as hell to look down and was going 95 for a crazy long distance through the desert and it handled like a dream and got 24mpg. I swear the gas fuel mix is different than in No Ca and performs better though. Ours has 50K miles now and has not had anything done, but will need tires soon. Wife loves it and I like driving it. I would suggest buying the factory Ford rubber matt kits online from Tasca Ford. They also sell the hitch and wiring on Ebay. There is a cold air kit I have been thinking of also. Did you get the Sync system? You will love it once you figure it out and DL the updates....

Rick

baitkiller 05-16-2012 4:49 AM

Yeah, this thing is tech heavy. The Sony Synch system is a little overwhelming so far. At least I programmed the wifes phone as being the primary. I still havent figured out the front / back AV system. Download updates? Huh?
Maybe I should read the book again.
Tell me more about the rubber matts.
So far so good. I like the highway range of 400 plus miles. Big road trips coming up this summer.

blastmaster 05-16-2012 9:36 AM

You need to go here and regester using VIN # etc.. and set up account. You can then tell it from your computer to do the update to latest version. It is important to figure out how to reset the "oil life" and the "vehicle health report" or sure as hell your wife will feak out when the car asks her if it is ok to run and starts talking to her.... LOL...

The factory Frd matts may be made by Weather Tech and are die cut to fit perfectly and have Ford or Flex logos. There are 3 sets being front, rear and cargo area. They are bad ass and will save the hell out of the carpet if your super clean and anal like me about your carpets. The Weather Tech & Husky Liners do not look as good and the Husky Liners have huge sides to contain water, ice, snow etc and dont fit as well IMO..

Here is link to cargo matt, It fits perfect and looks great:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-BLAC...item3cc012be11

I did not see Tasca having the floor matss listed currently on Ebay but they do have them, I got mine from them, Call the parts department direct and they may give you a better price for a credit card order of the cargo & floor mats all together and they ship crazy fast and will combine shipping. Also ask about the cabin filter as it too is part of the Sync vehicle health report and is scheduled to be changed I believe at 30k,60K miles etc... especially in dusty areas.

You will also find Fords new oil change reccomendaions for that vehicle to be every 5K miles as they run super effecient and clean.

Here is link to floor matt set on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-STOCK-FA...af696a&vxp=mtr

One last link to another dealer offering all 5 peices in one package. No idea who they are, or if this is the same set as I got from Tasca Ford:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Flex-Fl...ce2946&vxp=mtr

Sweet ride. People stop us daily in parking lots and want to check it out. Tons of room and they ride great and are quiet as hell. Great option to a SUV or truck IMO. Fits our lifestyle great, not because of kids(ours are 19,21 & 25 now) but for our senior parents. They can not get into my Superduty 4X4 and had trouble stepping up to wife's previous Expedition. The Flex is low and easy to enter/exit for seniors and still can hold a bunch of people for the few times per year the kids actually are available for a family dinner or trip. I find it funny as hell our 21 year old son talks sh-- about "moms station wagon" yet has the gall to ask to borrow it for a trip with his buddies....

Best Wishes:
Rick

baitkiller 05-16-2012 9:55 AM

Thanks Rick. This too will take some digestion.