WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Why Wakeboarding Will Never Get Back Into X-Games (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=801889)

alevitt 04-29-2014 10:09 AM

Why Wakeboarding Will Never Get Back Into X-Games

Because video games get chosen ahead of us:

http://www.yobeat.com/2014/04/29/maj...o-the-x-games/

I think I'm crying and laughing at the same time.

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: :banghead:

mark197 04-29-2014 10:37 AM

Welcome to the youth of the nation.........

And we wonder where the burned out iq's are coming from.

phathom 04-29-2014 10:46 AM

Ya, because video games are an extreme sport? What's the worst injury, arthritis, carpel tunnel, or maybe kidney stones from drinking a bunch of energy drinks without getting up for hours?
I know that they can be very competitive and there is a level of skill to video games, especially at the pro level, but it should never be considered a sport, let alone an extreme sport.

bcrider 04-29-2014 11:37 AM

I get the rationale behind getting in on this market but XGames themselves should be about getting your ass of the couch and being active, being outside, and being an athlete. Not a freakin couch surfer hopped up on redbulls yelling at the tv. Include me on this...:banghead:

baitkiller 04-29-2014 4:16 PM

Grass roots boycott and sponsor avoidance starts here and now.
Absurd..

behindtheboat 04-29-2014 4:45 PM

Wakeboarding shouldn't want to get back into the X games. Winter X is the only X worth watching.

DenverRider 04-29-2014 6:40 PM

I used to love the X games. I'm a gen X guy and this thing was named after my generation. Then money came along and ****ed it up. Now it's motocross, moto X, and more motocross. Now we get video gaming mixed into the motocross. Greed screws up everything.

biggator 04-30-2014 6:08 AM

Anyone else remember when they had other things like 'Street Luge'? Sky Surfing? .. not to mention inline skating.

racer808 04-30-2014 6:27 AM

There have been kids put into comas for staying up too long & drinking liters of RedBull at gaming tournaments. That is EXTREME! They can add best plumbers crack & biggest emotional meltdown to make it 3 events..........

skiboarder 04-30-2014 7:38 AM

The Xgames is a joke...

phathom 04-30-2014 8:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggator (Post 1875053)
Anyone else remember when they had other things like 'Street Luge'? Sky Surfing? .. not to mention inline skating.

Ya, the good days when I actually watched and cared because it was entertaining. I always dreamed about Sky Surfing one day. I guess it's ridiculously hard to do though and only a very small percentage of sky divers will even attempt it, let alone do it competitively. I think that's why it went away, even though it was awesome!
I'm not going to take time to watch some neck beard chug red bull and play Call of Duty.

biggator 05-01-2014 5:07 AM

how does one even televise a video game event? How do you keep it in a reasonable amount of time?

bill 05-01-2014 5:59 AM

FThat!

mike2001 05-01-2014 9:12 AM

The odds actually got better, now the Wakeboarding Unleashed game has a chance

nathanb 05-01-2014 12:27 PM

For wakeboarding to get back into X Games it first has to promote itself and at the moment it is doing a pretty p!$$ poor job of doing it.
Look at the Darin Shapiro thread. An icon of the sport and we can't even get a decent length clip of him riding.
How hard would it be to get someone to sit in the boat at the competitions and video the event then dub the commentary over the top. Look at all the edits out there from people who just grab a camera and go, surely the people promoting and running these events can come up with something like this.
Then there are plenty of websites that would host the video's as it would bring traffic to their site, Nautique could do it and host it on their site.
I just don't get why there isn't more effort to get wakeboarding out there to the people that can't get to the events

adam_balon 05-01-2014 11:17 PM

it wont grow in its current state. its not about the riders or progressing the sport. if it was... w's events wouldnt have been axed this year. i have alot of respect for a few of the riders at these events... but the whole thing is like a traveling circus. same features, same announcer, same driver, same judges, crazy nicknames, daily autograph sessions, etc. its all one big show.

i even saw a video of some dude thanking all his sponsors on the podium the other day. so weird. this isnt nascar or motocross. you def dont see that in snow, skate or surf. youth sees right through this and thats why wake is perceived as kooky. "uhhh...couldnt have done it without that tige wake.... the ronix team for all the support, oakley for keeping the sun out of my eyes and man... i wouldnt have ridden so good without these fox boardshorts featuring 4 way mechanical stretch and a hidden stash pocket!!!!!" come on dude.... its just weird. watched some random highlights and i think he even fell off one of the rails in his run.

thankfully there are a few new movies coming out this year, rusty who pushes whats possible, guys like dylan miller, vandal and watson who kinda do what they want.

why has no one done a "real wake" type thing?

anyways.. im opinionated. love it or hate it. there it is.

adam_balon 05-01-2014 11:18 PM

hopefully someone awesome takes home the championship belt this year.

alexair 05-02-2014 2:34 AM

If the video games is the X-sport in this case the masturbation is a part of heavy athletics

biggator 05-02-2014 5:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexair (Post 1875430)
If the video games is the X-sport in this case the masturbation is a part of heavy athletics

Nah.. that's just the rigorous training regimen.

bill 05-02-2014 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adam_balon (Post 1875422)
it wont grow in its current state. its not about the riders or progressing the sport. if it was... w's events wouldnt have been axed this year. i have alot of respect for a few of the riders at these events... but the whole thing is like a traveling circus. same features, same announcer, same driver, same judges, crazy nicknames, daily autograph sessions, etc. its all one big show.

i even saw a video of some dude thanking all his sponsors on the podium the other day. so weird. this isnt nascar or motocross. you def dont see that in snow, skate or surf. youth sees right through this and thats why wake is perceived as kooky. "uhhh...couldnt have done it without that tige wake.... the ronix team for all the support, oakley for keeping the sun out of my eyes and man... i wouldnt have ridden so good without these fox boardshorts featuring 4 way mechanical stretch and a hidden stash pocket!!!!!" come on dude.... its just weird. watched some random highlights and i think he even fell off one of the rails in his run.

thankfully there are a few new movies coming out this year, rusty who pushes whats possible, guys like dylan miller, vandal and watson who kinda do what they want.

why has no one done a "real wake" type thing?

anyways.. im opinionated. love it or hate it. there it is.

haha say it bro..

srock 05-02-2014 1:55 PM

Every sit on shore watching a boat pick up fallen skiers all afternoon....like most x-games sports, it moves along much better on TV than in person so it may have a fighting chance.

biggator 05-03-2014 5:59 AM

Honestly - one of the issues with having wakeboarding in the x-games (and the pro tour in general) is finding a suitable venue. There aren't a lot of places where you can have a stretch of decent water and still have a place for a large crowd to actually see anything.

denystaucd 05-04-2014 10:40 AM

Wakeboard behind boat = not at X games

Wakeboarding at a cable park = next few year at X games. My guess due to the pace can be a lot faster and its more worldwide then behind a boat now.

Call of duty = a "billion$" in profit, meaning they can just buy the X games
Cheers,
DC

captain_vilfo 05-04-2014 3:55 PM

X games sold out big time

ilikebeaverandboats 05-04-2014 6:01 PM

what are the xgames? is it like, the games for xbox?