WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   ford 351 running poorly (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=778350)

osealy 04-08-2010 1:06 PM

ford 351 running poorly

Mc prostar ,Last time I was out, pump didn't suck and temp guage pegged while leaving ramp, Tide went out while trying to solve problem (see bent fins). Anyway took out impellar , it's perfect, replaced, sucks good, but the slight weep from the pump is worse,Went out today but it ran poorly pump is driven from nose of crank, could it be the thin mist of spray from the crank effin up the plug leads? Runs ok up to 3000 but ropey after that & v smokey on idle. Any ideas? is the seal on the pump an easy fix.

jtnz 04-08-2010 7:52 PM

Holley Carb?

osealy 04-09-2010 1:30 AM

Yes Holley with tendancy for secondary float to stick & overfuel, usually cured with a thump.

Is this my Problem?

nschimm 04-09-2010 3:46 AM

When was the last time you had the carb rebuilt?

texastbird 04-09-2010 5:33 AM

I don;t think the carb would start acting up after overheating. I'd be looking at head gaskets.

osealy 04-09-2010 6:50 AM

Holley Carb? Correct for ten points.

Vac secondarys were jammed, I think the bad running was just wet plugs from stuck sec floats.

Topped out at 4200rpm about 40+ mph, powerslot.

Now I need to work out how to get the rusty pump bolts out of the crank.

That's the sea for you.

Do people paint their engine mount adjusters to stop rust, or cover with grease?

jtnz 04-11-2010 9:46 PM

I ride in salt too, and I paint just about everything apart from the heads, carb and alternator, gotta admit I don't know what an engine mount adjuster is.

Rusty bolts, lots of WD 40 and some good luck although I bet you knew that already.

Glad you got the carb sorted out.

osealy 04-12-2010 2:55 AM

Out for a few hours yesterday,ran great but after running back to the harbour wot 50mph, the idle wouldn't drop lower than 1500. went down to about 1200 while flushing. Blocked jet or what?

chris4x4gill2 04-12-2010 6:53 AM

Check your throttle cable and linkage, alot of time the cable itself will stick and cause high idle rpms.

Also, on those stuck bolts us a good penetrating oil like Liquid Wrench (My Favorite) or the old mechanics concoction of ATF / Acetone mixture (the best). Either of those work much better than WD-40.

osealy 04-12-2010 12:30 PM

Ran great today, High idle at start but settled down, I now think the problem was sec butterflys slightly open< pushed them down with a screwdriver while flushing and idle dropped to 500. Happy days.

chris4x4gill2 04-12-2010 12:52 PM

check your linkage between your two butterflies then. The secondary should be forced close completely when the primary closes. Which means that If the secondary is staying open, so is the primary. This could be due to a vacume or mechanical problem on the carb.