WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   WS Pro 80 using SYN 4 or SYN 2? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=780805)

tonality 06-21-2010 8:31 AM

WS Pro 80 using SYN 4 or SYN 2?

Hey all, had a bit of a mishap this weekend and lost one of my Pro80's while trailering the boat home, so I'm taking the opportunity to pick up a pair of the latest version.. Those of you pushing these with WS amps, are you bridging a SYN4 or will a SYN2 handle the load fine? I'd like to get as much as i can out of them with as little gain/heat as possible, but I'm just wondering if anyone has seen marked differences/improvements in using the 4 over the 2.

Here's a pic of the most recent death in my family :( Looks like i had a kid hanging from it on the ride home!

http://173.57.68.52:81/pics/IMG_0641.JPG

colombiansurfer 06-21-2010 8:47 AM

I have a pair of Pro 80 and MB-8's. I run 2 Syn 4's for the pair. the amps are on "cruise mode" and almost no heat at all. No problems at all and not a lot of strain on the batts. I know it is overkill, but I have extra for future use.

tonality 06-21-2010 8:58 AM

Interesting, thanks David. Just out of curiosity, how are you liking those MB-8's? I would definitely like to add some heft to my midrange, but do you even need another pair (80's or 60's) since these guys already have an HLCD in them as well? What is the difference between these and the standard 80s?

murphy_smith 06-21-2010 9:36 AM

You will be extremely happy with a SYN 2 and heat will never become an issue. The Syn 2 will give you the ability to run 2 or 4 pro 80's with no heat issues.

I am running 4 pro 80's on mine...no issues.

I think the Syn 4 is overkill.

wetsounds1 06-21-2010 9:40 AM

Tony,

Sorry to hear that. Give the office a call at 877-938-7757. You can ship them back and we can get you into a set of the new housings and salvage what we can from these.

The MB-8 are designed for those that want a party cove or wakesurf system. They have a ton of punch and volume so will add a ton in and around the boat and at wake lengths. They add volume and not sute low end, but more overall volume. But since there is no horn, they do not have the projection at 80 feet like adding another set of 80's.

The are an application specific speaker. So if you want party cove and wake surf, add the MB-8. If you want wakeboard only, add the extra 80's

As for the amps, we run the dual SYN-4 on the demo boat to the 80 and MB-8 set up and it cranks. Most run the single SYN-2. When you go for more power, you gain a lot of headroom. So the amp does not have to work very hard and can run very cool and clean.

Tim
Wet Sounds

tonality 06-21-2010 12:29 PM

Thanks Tim;

I have a good one left, but the pair is fairly old, well out of warranty and still using the older mounts and probably older tech as well, so definitely no issues with replacing them completely, but the audio components should still be sound. I know you guys are using some different plastics now at the very least, and mounting them a bit differently as well.

As for config, I was considering a few changes and was thinking of doing 2 60's and 2 MB-8's. Murph, I didn't realize you were powering both pairs of 80s off one Syn2, that's rad. A 4 should be more than enough for the whole shebang then.

Was looking on the WS website and the MB-8 specs mentioned a horn, so i was a bit confused, since I was thinking they didn't have one. I am definitely looking to fill out the boat a bit more, as my W7 tends to overpower my in-boats a bit, but i don't like the way 4 80's would look on my tower, and i would increase cranial injury (my own) by 100% if i did that. :)
Great info as always guys, thanks!

wetsounds1 06-21-2010 12:47 PM

Good catch on the site, just told my IT guy to fix it.

Yes we have changed a ton on the housings from materials to a new internal support structure to new drivers to new crossovers to new clamps. So the 2010 are really night and day from the original gen you have. More mid bass and smoother sounding overall.

I would go for the SYN-2 on the Double Up as well. Would run 350x2 at 2 ohms stereo so 175 per speaker.

Tim
Wet Sounds

colombiansurfer 06-21-2010 1:24 PM

Tony, as Tim said the speaker is great for surfing and coving. Since I mostly surf, I wanted something more specific to my riding and what I like to do. Everyone has there own preference, and I choose what was best for my situation. I counselled with Tim on this before making my purchase and Tim directed me into the 2 Syn 4's. Not because it was going to bring him more profit, but the idea and reasoning behind it made sense. My setup is very clean sounding and LOUD!!! but music is going to be different to each ear and depending on the quality. If you go with the MB-8's you will not be sorry.

tonality 06-21-2010 4:09 PM

Tim, it's funny you mention that, because I remember us talking last time about all the changes you had made (specifically to the crossover) and decided to go ahead and spring for a new set of 2010's in black...they'll go better with my new upcoming idea for the boat anyway ;). Went ahead and picked up a pair of the new pro80s and a syn2 for em (so i can use my JL in my truck) through Earmark out here in Lewisville and the boat should be good to go by the time i get back from Mexico.

Thanks to David once again at Earmark for getting me squared away...if any of you need something to baseline your local installer/dealer against, I actually got a call from Earmark not 45 minutes after posting this, saying they had seen it and wanted to know how they could help. The consummate pro has his finger on the pulse at all times for sure ;).

Thanks again guys! I appreciate all the input and look forward to hearing the changes in the new 80s!

david_e_m 06-22-2010 9:52 AM

Tony,

Thanks so much.

Initially, we were just calling to let you know that we're well-stocked on SuperGlue and white spray paint. :)

David
Earmark Marine

colombiansurfer 06-22-2010 11:54 AM

I do have to give David at EM props for calling and offering help. He helped me out with a connection problem and offered a couple of ideas that panned out great! Thanks again David for your help and contribution to the forum!

jonyb 06-22-2010 7:18 PM

Ditto on David.... He actually called me one time to chat about something(I own a car audio shop as well). David sets the example that I believe all car audio shops (that care to do business and take care of customers) should operate. Guys like him go the extra mile to help out the consumers. You may pay a few extra dollars for the product, but you get a lot more for you're money from a business man like that.

06-22-2010 9:25 PM

david and tim are both great guys. they have always gone out of their way to help me out. good luck with picking a new system. i personally would like a little more low end on my system and wish i had done 80's and 8's instead of a 3some, but im not disappointed at all.

jonyb 06-23-2010 8:28 AM

RM I was gonna make that same move on my boat. I had the 3-Some, sold it, and was about to pick up a pair of 80's and 8's, but keep the Syn6 to power it all. Justin said he'd just use the 3-Some if I wasnt going to change amps. Those guys seem to like the 3-Some the best. I haven't heard the MB-8's yet, but I'm kinda glad i stuck with the 3-Some. Next year I may just add 4 mb-8's to the top of the tower, or below and swap the 3-Some to the top.