WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   Prop cage rollers question (pics) (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=791402)

V215 01-10-2012 3:44 PM

Prop cage rollers question (pics)

2 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone -

I recently bought a 2007 Sanger V215 with the SBT dual axle trailer. My driveway is a decently steep incline and when backing the boat up the driveway, I am running into issues since the prop cage sits so low. I have a rounded curb at my sidewalk and the trailer is too low to even get up that without using carefully placed 2x12 pieces of wood as a ramp. When going up the driveway, I am having to move those boards to the trailer wheels to elevate the prop cage as my truck gets on the driveway too. The added few inches keeps my prop cage from chunking and dragging on my driveway. I am looking to get some poly roller wheels, not the metal ones, since my driveway is colored and stamped concrete and I dont want it destroyed.

I see that DHM/California Trailer Works sells a prop cage roller set like I need, but their set says it only fits the angle of DHM trailers and mine is the SBT. Does anyone know if the DHMs will work or have other ideas for what I can do to add poly rollers? I attached pics below of my prop cage (the black trailer) and a pic of the DHM prop cage rollers (the red trailer) from their website for bracket comparisons. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

badhabit 01-10-2012 7:43 PM

Give them a call. They've done a lot of work on my trailer and have been very helpful. They put weld on rollers (very similar) on mine and work great. 916-381-7619.

On a side note: That looks really low to the ground....is it just the angle of the picture? Or is the nose way high?

jetskiprosx 01-10-2012 8:48 PM

We have a V230 with the same trailer and have a steep driveway. We bought the DHM trailers kit and had our neighbors cut and weld it on our trailer. It's held up fine for 3 years now. For a good 7-8 feet of the driveway all 4 trailer wheels are off the ground and the entire weight of the boat is on those casters. They make an awful sound, but they keep on working.

jetskiprosx 01-10-2012 8:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
They hang down lower then we would like, but figure if they ever break, that is when we will move them up higher.

mhunter 01-10-2012 9:14 PM

My 08 Boatmate came with rollers built in the lower main vertical rails. Looks like 3'' pieces of pipe welded on a solid axle.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/n.../mypics010.jpg

Woody 01-11-2012 2:44 AM

He will modify the rollers to fit your trailer. He's doing it for mine right now.

saberworks 01-11-2012 7:40 AM

As another option, can you get an adjustable hitch and just drop it really low in the front when you're backing up? Which will raise the back, maybe enough to not have to worry about rollers.

delmage171 01-11-2012 5:26 PM

Michael,

Since, your sick Boatmate trailer is sitting outside, does that mean your 210 is sitting on your new hoist???

PICS!

magic 01-11-2012 8:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saberworks (Post 1725202)
As another option, can you get an adjustable hitch and just drop it really low in the front when you're backing up? Which will raise the back, maybe enough to not have to worry about rollers.

That is what I used to do. I actually just used two hitches, one that was level for towing and one that was a bit low. That low one gave me the height I needed to back up the drive.

mhunter 01-12-2012 6:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by delmage171 (Post 1725391)
Michael,

Since, your sick Boatmate trailer is sitting outside, does that mean your 210 is sitting on your new hoist???

PICS!

That pic was taken when I just bought the trailer. I didn't buy the 210 until a month later.
No boat lift we bought on the land side of the street next to the lake so we would have room for the barn.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/n...cture010-1.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/n...oleBarn095.jpg

V215 01-13-2012 10:16 AM

Thanks guys for the help. I will give DHM a call and get their roller kit. If it doesnt fit directly then I can have someone weld on some appropriate brackets for me. Sounds like an easy fix to my headache.

@Badhabit - It doesnt normally sit that low but I had the front jacked up to drain the standing water to the back before I ShopVac'ed it all out. I just happened to take the pic then and at that angle.

chilidog 01-13-2012 11:55 AM

When I bought my v215 it had the same upward bend in the prop guard. We have a really steep ramp you have to power your boat on to get it on the trailer and the first or second time out the prop hit the guard and bent the outer edge of my prop.

So be sure and get that fixed before you drive it up. My truck is higher and w/o getting a crazy drop hitch I only have about 3 inches of clearance and have resorted to letting the prop guard do its thing and drag corners on driveways. if it was my own dirveway I would be welding on casters like you are.

I always thought it would be trick to build a replacement piece for your bent piece between the rails that would have wheels inside it that were carried by the plate.

badhabit 01-13-2012 5:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V215 (Post 1725681)
Thanks guys for the help. I will give DHM a call and get their roller kit. If it doesnt fit directly then I can have someone weld on some appropriate brackets for me. Sounds like an easy fix to my headache.

@Badhabit - It doesnt normally sit that low but I had the front jacked up to drain the standing water to the back before I ShopVac'ed it all out. I just happened to take the pic then and at that angle.

When you call them, see if they can custom make a bolt on for your trailer. Just give them the measurements and see what they can do.

cadunkle 01-14-2012 2:45 PM

I bolted a piece of UHMW (a really slick plastic) to the botton of the prop guard. Countercunk hold in the UHMW for allen head bolts and drilled holes in prop gaurd, installed with nylocks. After a season the UHMW is worn down some but it's pretty cheap and easy to replace if it's done after a few more seasons. No more scraping. When it drags it slides pretty smooth and quiet though will leave the occasional white mark the what is rubbed off. Just another option.

Woody 01-15-2012 3:13 AM

He's making the bolt on one's for me, all he need from you is a picture of the back of the trailer.