WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   Would you have bought this boat? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=794077)

mro 06-22-2012 2:48 PM

Would you have bought this boat?

http://www.crankyape.com/default.asp...emNumber=29787

For you flippers, hobbyists, or keepers looking to get a deal, what do you think of this expired auction? I know buying a boat unseen, or even doing an inspection without a water test can be a roll of the dice. On this one even if you had to dump 10k into unforeseen problems you are still way under retail.
My buddy picked up a 2002 San for 8k that was an insurance write off. It appeared to have the plug left out and sunk the ass end in shallow water. (evidence of this on the motor but not under the dash). I thought for sure some piece of the drive train would need to be replaced or rebuilt, but he got away with it. Now I have auction fever.
What's the deal with cranky ape? Do they get the junk that the dealer auctions don't want, or can they be ok?

501s 06-22-2012 3:03 PM

I wouldn't spend $35k on an unknown/unseen boat.

migs 06-22-2012 3:31 PM

"Engine boggs down when reaches speed" - sounds like perfect pass engaging -hahahahahahah

Talonsorensen 06-22-2012 3:32 PM

agreed^

nautiquesonly 06-22-2012 6:36 PM

If u look at the pictures that hull was blistered all over and faded. That boat is pretty rough

nick_in_ssp 06-22-2012 9:08 PM

I bought a brand new trailer from crankyape.com. Great site if you are close to the auctioned item. Some are insurance losses some are consighnment, but they do a good job in the description and with tons of pics you can see what your getting into.

jon4pres 06-23-2012 6:11 AM

The scariest thing for me was the hull blistering. I don't know how to fix that.

I am a wannabe flipper. Does anyone have any sites similar to crankyape that has wake boats on it?

jsmilez321 06-25-2012 12:19 PM

hey guys a buddy of mine bought that boat.... supposed to be delivered here soon.. i almost bought his supra 22ssv for 23000 but just wasnt for me.. he doesnt wakeboard or anything so hopefully i will get a pull soon i will give a report when i see it in person..

scotthons 06-25-2012 2:37 PM

I know someone who got a boat and a motorhome off that site about 5 years ago. He got great deals and it worked out well. When we were in the market for a boat two and half years ago I started following that site, but didn't have any luck.

UNvisible 06-25-2012 2:42 PM

My friend is a manager for crankyape, they generally are very accurate with their descriptions, i know several people who have made out well with purchases through them.

idaho_hillbilly 06-26-2012 6:05 AM

$32,700 is more than I would pay for a trashed boat. You can replace carpet and seats, but gel coat and motors are $$$$$$. I've flipped several things this year, and my rule of thumb is estimate your repairs and then double it. There is always more that you can't see that needs to be fixed.

If your looking for finds, I think Craigslist is the best source. You have to weed through some crap, but there are some deals out there. I'll be flipping a '78 Ski-Tique by the end of the week that some truck driver in Montana turned into a fishing boat....trolling motor and all. I also picked up a '09 Sanger V230 for an amazing price a couple weeks ago, but I'm keeping that one. :)

acurtis_ttu 06-26-2012 6:46 AM

Flipping 30k + boats is nto a great idea IMo...the carrying costs alone are not worth it. not to mention a small pool of buyers...and most need finincing. think smaller. you can flip 2-3k waverunners all day long...but gootta have the time. pick a brand and model and learn everything about it. I had a mechanic that did all my reapirs and tests. I have a pretty good job, but I felt like I was spending alot of my free time tryin to make a couple $K/month....just not worth it to me.