WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Check Ya Self....for Ticks! (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=779497)

tysonma 05-14-2010 3:43 AM

Check Ya Self....for Ticks!

Hey guys!
I'm laid up in the hospital going on 5 days now. They are treating me for what is called Ehrlichiosis. It's very similiar to Rocky Mtn. Spotted Fever, however I don't have the rash that goes with it. I tried to spend a couple days toughing it out, but a fever of 104.8 finally brought me to the ER saturday night, where they sent me home. I had to come back becasue symptoms cntinued, and I was admitted later the next day.
In brief, Though I've felt much better the last 36 hrs (I think they may let me go home today) The previous 6 days there has been about a 3 hr window where I felt fine. The other 21 hrs of the day consist of battling a fever (it once went from 95.5 to 103 in less than an hour), sweats that soaked to the mattress, followed by chills I could not control, bodyaches, headaches, vomiting, confusion, etc.
Anyways, to the point of the thread, this comes from a tick. I didn't find a tick, or remember getting bit, nor did I have a rash or anything afterwards. Doc said thats not uncommon, however the virus itself is. (I'm in Indiana, and I'm 1 of about 5 who will get this this year, in the state) I haven't been in the woods, only on various baseball fields, as I coach a high school team. So I'm assuming thats where I picked up the tick, and it pulled a bite-and-run on me. Luckly, I'm a pretty healthy 27 year old, and have responded well to the meds.
So, as you guys come to and from the boat, cookout in the backyard, come back from a ball game, etc. it might not be a bad idea to check yourself, and the kiddos out, to make sure they dont have a tick, or have been bitten. I sound like my mother saying that, but if you can prevent a family member from getting any tick-borne virus, you'll be thanksful!

Cya Guys!

Tyson

bmr82 05-14-2010 4:21 AM

wow, get well soon man. Ticks suck........no pun intended.

behindtheboat 05-14-2010 5:56 AM

whoa! hope you get to feeling a lot better! I'm 27, in Indiana, and FREAKED out now! Do they know if it's exclusive to Deer ticks like Lime disease, or can the larger, normal ticks carry it? Get well!

l_b 05-14-2010 8:36 AM

Get well soon. I got lyme disease last year from a tick bite and it was no fun, but I could see a big red ring around the bite. That's scary that you never saw a tick or bite. Can't believe the ER sent you home with over a 104 temp.

05-14-2010 8:44 AM

Hey Indiana as well here, and we did find a TICK on my little girl last year in her hair. He was in the process of biting her so we pulled him out, then went to the doc. Doc said he didn't have anything bad and didn't do any damage, (we kept the tick in jar to take to doc) anyway, they are out, so do be careful. INDIANA guys, we ride in central Indiana at Missasinawa Res, any of you up this way?

wakereviews 05-14-2010 8:49 AM

wow that does suck. Iowa/IL here and I've already pulled 3 off the dogs and 1 off my 4 year old. Can't stand ticks.

bradlayinlow 05-14-2010 9:00 AM

hope you get better. i went to school with a girl that got rocky mnt spotted tick fever real bad. and i hope that isnt what you have good luck

hyperlite 05-14-2010 9:59 AM

Wth???? Glad im in florida

wakeboardertj 05-14-2010 11:09 AM

Hopefully not many of the ticks here in Cali carry any vector born viruses, I pull about 4 off my dog every week from their walks, and just last week I guess one brushed off on me and latched onto my armpit :eek: , sucker was sore for a couple days but luckily no fever.

tysonma 05-14-2010 11:36 AM

Thanks guys! behindtheb, I'm not sure!?! thats a good quesiton, and if I was still at the hospital I would ask the dock. I got released later this morning, FINALLY! Nowhere close to 100% but so glad to be out. Ticks seem to be pretty thick this year!

PS, Im in Evansville...we ride a few sections of the Ohio River, and the Green River, which stems off the Ohio, and winds into Kentucky.

fly135 05-14-2010 12:28 PM

My wife got diagnosed with late stage Lyme disease last Nov and has been on IV antibiotics for nearly 6 months. We live in Florida and have no idea when or where she got it. But we think that she's had it for over 6 years based on her coming down with symptoms like Ty back them, and a chronic non-curable autoimmune illness that appeared shortly thereafter but went away with the Lyme treatment.

Ticks carry a number of infectious organisms and modern medical science is woefully inadequate in their understanding of these organisms, how they affect humans, the cure, and detection/diagnosis. A documentary came out last year called "Under Our Skin" and it demonstrates how problematic tick borne infections can be. I believe it's a far more serious problem than is currently thought to be. And geographically more widespread than generally believed.

Ty, good luck. And keep this incident in your mind if in the future you encounter any autoimmune disease issues.

bruizza 05-14-2010 1:35 PM

Damn man that sucks. Heal up soon! 1/5 is just crazy.

psudy 05-14-2010 1:45 PM

Frontline for the win.

mathias 05-14-2010 2:02 PM

I don't know how it is in the US but here in Sweden we have a lot of ticks in the summer and some also carry a disease called TBE (tick-borne encephalitis) which can infect your brain and your nervous system and make you paralysed for life,