WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   Glue to mount amp to interior fiberglass wall? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=802284)

phillywakeboarder 06-06-2014 10:01 AM

Glue to mount amp to interior fiberglass wall?

What glue or epoxy do you guys use to mount amps to the interior fiberglass wall to the left of the observer's seat? My plan is to glue a piece of Azek to the fiberglass wall and mount the amp to the piece of Azek, but I want to make sure it's going to stay up there.

shawndoggy 06-06-2014 10:16 AM

In the past I've used liquid nails with good results, but they seem to have changed their formula and it didn't work this spring.

Fiberglassing the pieces in works well, but is messy.

I ended up with two part 3M structural adhesive and it's working well. Pretty easy to work with too.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/trm-8101/overview/

http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/z...psryf3qm7m.jpg

simcole 06-06-2014 10:37 AM

In all seriousness I use that heavy duty 2" wide stick on velcro. I have 2 heavy amps mounted directly to the wall using that stuff. I cover the entire bottom of the amp surface. They haven't moved an inch no matter how much hard wake I take.

grant_west 06-06-2014 11:16 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I take the Piece I want to glue and mark it on the gunal carpet with a pen. Then I cust that section of carpet out and sand a prep the fiberglass make sure its clean and free of carpet glue ect.

#2 Then take the section your glue and mark up the back of it so that the glue can have somthing to grab onto.

#3 Put some blue tape around the edge of when the carprt meets the fiberglass.

#4 Put the Glue on both parts the Fiber glass gunnal and the part your gluing leave about 1/2 inc space or less all around both pieces to account for the glue expanding when you press the 2 together

#5 smash the 2 pieces together but don't smash out all the glue by pressing on the 2 pieces to hard.

#6 hold it in position how ever works for you. and then peal back the blue tape with the extra glue that smashed out on the edges when your pressed the to together.

Or you could save a bunch of time and just use Velcro LOL LOL LOL

grant_west 06-06-2014 11:17 AM

O almost forgot Bondo Glass works great as a glue.

phillywakeboarder 06-06-2014 11:45 AM

Thanks guys! For those who use velcro, do you stick a piece of the velcro to the fiberglass, or just leave the carpet there and use the carpet itself as "velcro"?

jonblarc7 06-06-2014 11:59 AM

I think he was pickin about the Velcro

Grant doesn't do Velcro, stick on LEDs, lifted trucks, or plastic dip!!!!!!!!!! LOL

OH and forest fires set by pot growers LOL

grant_west 06-06-2014 12:21 PM

"Do you stick the Velcro to the carpet or to the fiberglass" OMG the Movie Idiocracy has come true.

Seriously. The guy that made his own NSS system was a breath of fresh air to this place! I'm sure he has come back here and has his palms over his face! Other then that it's all Truck Lifters & Plasti Dipppers! We had a name for these people in high school "Ratta Hack"

I think my time here is comming to a end!

phillywakeboarder 06-06-2014 1:31 PM

What I was getting at is whether velcro sticks to carpet well enough 2 hold everything if I have 2 cut the carpet away to stick a velcro strip to the fiberglass (with the glue side) I might as well do the full on glue method and be done with it

jonblarc7 06-06-2014 1:58 PM

His is messing with you Velcro will never hold!!!!!

jonblarc7 06-06-2014 1:59 PM

Whats is a "Ratta Hack"

Are you sure your spelling that right LOL

Redheadd 06-06-2014 2:03 PM

Lmfao!!!!

shawndoggy 06-06-2014 2:05 PM

my front fender stays on with velcro. makes it way easier to get the K&N out to clean.

bass10after 06-06-2014 6:00 PM

All joking and jabbing aside If you're going to take the time to mount an amp that costs $$$ go ahead and glue it to the hull using grant or Seans method. I used the locktite version of liquid nails pl construction adhesive I believe, and worked great. Prep on the hull as grant mentioned is key, and scoring or pitting the backside of the material to be mounted helps. The adhesive used on velcrow I'd be leery of using because as the temperature gets hotter it's more likely to fail than something meant to be more permanent. I'm sure the velcrow portion would hold together if you used a big enough contact area, but the thin layer of glue they use is the weak link.

ryand121 06-07-2014 4:14 PM

3M 5200 has worked great for me. It's holds like crazy but has some flex to it also.

yubasanger 06-07-2014 11:21 PM

Liquid nails change few years back. Started having squeaks in sub floor and hardwood floor transitions coming up. Switched to PL and not a problem since use some 80 or 120 grit paper to "key" the mating surfaces. As grant said Bondo fiberglass filler or gorilla hair filler works awesome also. Just remember no glue will work if you don't clean and key the mating surfaces.

Redheadd 06-08-2014 6:19 AM

Gorilla glue!