WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Goofy or Regular Tests (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=772963)

ship_of_fools 02-03-2010 7:39 PM

I have three kids and from time to time we take their friends out boating. Typically they have never wakeboarded before and after watching my kids they are always eager to try. <BR> <BR>We always start with are you regular or goofy and get the typical deer in the headlight look as a response. <BR> <BR>One of my kids has been an avid skateboarder long before we started wakeboarding. Somewhere along the line he learned three tests that are suppose to help determine if you are regular or goofy. <BR> <BR>We try to use these but since their friends have never wakeboarded before I really don't know if they work. I am curious how accurate they are and want to check with people who already know if they are regular or goofy. <BR> <BR>Test one: <BR>Stand "at ease", arms at your side, and have someone push you from behind right in the middle of your back. If you put your right foot out first your goofy. Left foot your regular. <BR> <BR>Test two: <BR>Fold your arms over your chest. If your left arm is on top, you're goofy. Right arm, you're regular. <BR> <BR>Test three: <BR>Probably the most accurate but difficult to do on the boat... Run and then slide on the floor (works best on a tile floor). Right foot in front, you're regular. Left foot in front, you're goofy. <BR> <BR>Post up and let me know if his tests work or if I am getting all these little groms off on the wrong foot (literally)!!

dyost 02-03-2010 7:58 PM

Haven't heard of the second two, but the push test has always worked when we're teaching someone.

nuckledragger 02-03-2010 8:08 PM

The push test is the best because it is natural reaction. I worked as a rental slackey in a snowboard shop for a few years and that is how we always figured out a stance for the newbies. God I hated fitting people for boots.

czap 02-03-2010 9:27 PM

test 2 isnt accurate.. Im regular and my left arm is always on top <BR> <BR>(Message edited by czap on February 03, 2010)

02-03-2010 9:55 PM

I failed test two also. <BR>I'm regular and my left arm is always or naturally on top. <BR>Test one and three is accurate with me.

hawk22 02-03-2010 10:44 PM

I failed test 2 and 3. I'm goofy: right arm on top in a fold. And I slide right foot forward with my socks on the hardwoods...stick with the push test. As long as they don't know its coming, its as accurate as you're gonna get with someone who doesn't know...

wakerider111 02-03-2010 10:53 PM

i thought test three was like test one. if your slide with right in front then your goofy and vise versa??? <BR> <BR>never heard of test 2. worked right for me, but it sounds bogus to me anyway <BR> <BR>extra note: also it can potentially screw up a test if you tell people that your gona push them and look for what foot is gona fly out. you don't want them thinking about it, it will add bias. might tell them your gona give them a push, but that's it,... and if there is more than one person to be tested, test them all THEN explain WHY. same goes for any other test

baitkiller 02-04-2010 5:00 AM

I just use the skateboard. Hand it to a kid and say "ride". Works every time. I think we taught at least 8 new kid boarders last summer!

benjaminp 02-04-2010 5:53 AM

Big fan of the "tug-o-war" test. Give them your hand and tell them to try and pull you, they will turn sideways, and you have the stance.

hawkeye7708 02-04-2010 6:00 AM

I was always big on the Push, but I like this Tug O War test... seems like a good idea in that they can actually get set, almost in a wakeboarding position to start with. Unless they're just useless and plant both feet and lean back haha

wakebrdjay 02-04-2010 7:14 AM

Ben,then you hand them a pair of water skis.

02-04-2010 7:20 AM

DON'T DO IT!! <BR> <BR>Get them up right foot first and then after a time or two, left. (Or reversed) <BR> <BR>If they are young let them learn both. It will help them in the long-run. <BR> <BR>A dominant foot forward is not as important as you might think. <BR> <BR>(Message edited by justinh on February 04, 2010)

wackbag 02-04-2010 7:26 AM

How about simply asking what foot they would kick a ball with or what foot you put in your pants first? The push test is great, but I find when the victim knows its about to happen its no good. Usually I push them off the boat when they arent expecting it and watch what they do works...

fijidaniel 02-04-2010 8:03 AM

I use the push test for new riders, yet none of the tests work for me. Except maybe that I slide right foot forward which would be goofy.

wtrgrl 02-04-2010 8:18 AM

Never heard of #2 but all tests worked for me. I'm goofy. Both 1 and 3 I have used before with success

alans 02-04-2010 8:38 AM

1 works well. 3 Works well too, but you have it backwards. If you slide with your right foot forward "goofy" left Regular.

rio_sanger 02-04-2010 12:55 PM

Never heard of test 2 and it didn't work for me, left arm on top, regular. <BR> I also cross my legs left over right, I wonder if that is a good test, or just coincidence? <BR> <BR> Test three is backwards, that should be obvious. <BR> <BR> The skateboard test is good, even if they don't skateboard, hand them one like baitkiller says, works every time. <BR> <BR>I also like the advice of not even asking a newbie. When they start off, their natural foot forward will turn towards the boat, and if they can ride switch right off the bat that's an advantage!

ship_of_fools 02-04-2010 4:31 PM

Yes, I have test three backwards....sorry 'bout that <BR> <BR>I like the tug-o-war idea too. Hadn't try that one. <BR> <BR>I guess none are really that accurate. But I think that it at least gives me some idea. If they have no idea I usually have them try both ways and see what is more comfortable for them.

mastercraftboarder 02-04-2010 5:38 PM

Tiled floor is accurate as far as i've used it...

otown_dave 02-04-2010 6:19 PM

Just teach them to ride both directions while learning. My father in law used to trick ski &amp; barefoot but we were learning at the same time to wakeboard. He told me that I had to turn the board to cross back heel side ,So I just did what he said because I did not know better. I took a few face plants but I learned both at the same time. Same with my son, We will run a slower speed &amp; I'll have him just surface 180 back and forth down the run before he takes his set.

trickyboarder08 02-04-2010 11:26 PM

Don't tell them. <BR> <BR>they'll figure it out. <BR> <BR>but, the tug of war seems like it would put you in the perfect stance. <BR> <BR>(Message edited by trickyboarder08 on February 04, 2010)

dbdan 02-05-2010 12:25 AM

We do a kind of tug of war test but with a rope. We have them stand feet together, give them the handle, and then yank on the rope...we also don't tell them what we're doing so they stay relaxed until we pull the rope. It's always seemed to produce good results...