WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   S4 Vs. Watson Vs. Harley (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=796376)

d_h_wake 12-09-2012 6:31 AM

S4 Vs. Watson Vs. Harley

Hey, Quick question I was looking into getting a new board. I have been trying to compare these three models, and have been leaning towards the Watson now but I'm not 100% sure yet.

Can you tell me the main difference between the boards?

Also, I have been hearing alot about a bigger size being better? I rode a 135 last year, but have been told to get bigger. I am 145lbs, and only 5'7", I am working on my more advanced tricks now such as moves and 7s so I don't want to loose any mobility.

Thanks
Dyllon

austin 12-09-2012 12:06 PM

I've owned and ridden S4 and Harley. I also own and ride the Watson Classic, but I assume you're talking about the new non-classic Watson.

S4 vs. Harley. The S4 is lighter and more locked in than the Harley. It's a very lightweight board, and it doesn't break loose very easily at all. The Harley is very loose and breaks loose easily. The Harley is heavier than the S4, but it still seems to ride high in the water and feels fast to me. Both boards are much faster than the Watson Classic, and both seem to pop well. If you want locked in and/or super lightweight, the S4 is your board. If you want a loose board, take the Harley over the S4.

DatTexasBoy 12-09-2012 3:26 PM

Ausrin-How were the landings for you on those boards? Any better than the others?

gnarslayer 12-09-2012 4:03 PM

i am 145lbs as well and ride a 137 obrien contra, 135 isnt a bad size for you, i wouldnt go too much bigger... harley, dowdy, powers, shota and all the little guys weighing around the same as us definitely dont ride above a 140... ride what you like

Michael 12-10-2012 11:16 AM

I have owned all 3. I love wakes really big that kick hard and I ride pretty fast, Im also 6' 180, here's my take;

S4 138- Felt like it would only ride for Philip. I completely disliked the rocker and it lacked so called "vertical pop", could be the fact that it was a 138, but I felt like it would get swallowed by the wake. It did not seem consistent at all. Swing weight was normal..... I hated the board

Watson 143 - I received this board after breaking a Harley 143 after about a month. I loved the "pop", the board tracks nicely and could break loose easily. Still was not my favorite board out there. nice swing weight, very Light, had a little bit of flex for me. Definittly worked perfect for the rest of the season, then I broke it.

Harley 143- Received this board after the broken Watson 143. When I got back on the board I remembered why something didnt feel right after I got on the Watson. I just loved how the Harley rode, It is fast, pops hard, tracks like a dream, nice swing weight and really dependable on landings. I always wanted a faster Watson classic and this board was the answer.

d_h_wake 12-10-2012 12:17 PM

Im not thinking the Watson Classic, I am just thinking of the Watson pro model. I feel like it would be similar to the Harley?

austin 12-10-2012 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DatTexasBoy (Post 1797792)
Ausrin-How were the landings for you on those boards? Any better than the others?

I ride behind lots of different boats with vastly different-sized wakes and different line lengths. So for me the biggest factor has always been the size of the wake, rope length, and how big I'm going. The difference in landings between the boards I've ridden is not noticeable compared to the effect of always going bigger or smaller depending on what boat I'm riding behind at the moment.

d_h_wake 12-10-2012 1:01 PM

So is the Landing with the 2013 Watson fairly soft?

DatTexasBoy 12-10-2012 2:01 PM

Reason I asked is that I rode the Harley and LOVED everything about that board, but it was causing my knees to hurt. Once I switched to the Marek it stopped. Some of it could have been my riding style and landings, but hard to ignore.

Andrew14 12-10-2012 2:23 PM

Hate to hijack the thread, but can we also throw the new 2013 LF B.O.B into the mix? For those who have ridden it, I'm curious as to how it compares to the Harley, Watson Classic and S4. I've heard that the new 5-stage rocker is unlike anything else out there, but once you get the hang of it, its awesome.