WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   Supra Tower pads (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=777964)

rourker 03-27-2010 2:09 PM

Supra Tower pads

Anybody have any solutions/suggestions for keeping the tower pads from sliding out from underneath the aluminim on the fiberglass? I'd like to adjust and square them up with the feet before the season starts.

Anybody tackled this one?

jonyb 03-27-2010 2:51 PM

Mine's being repaired right now. The tower sways so much I don't know if there would be a fix for it.

tyler97217 03-27-2010 4:33 PM

I just cut the excess with a razor blade. I only had a little bit slide out though.

fman 03-27-2010 6:13 PM

In 2008 they upgraded the tower feet to stop this from happening, Diggs, isnt your boat a 2010? I am surprised you are having any problems. My '08 has not moved, rock solid. John, I think they built your boat in Taiwan.... just kiddin'!

craig_f 03-27-2010 7:23 PM

We made our own to replace the stock pads and so far (knock on wood) they have been good.

rourker 03-28-2010 7:54 AM

Craig- Did you use any adhesive or anything under the tower feet when you made your own?

jonyb 03-28-2010 9:51 AM

Travis, built in Tennessee, repaired by Kentuckians :D

tailgate 03-28-2010 10:36 AM

I have the same problem on my moomba LSV, the dealer just cut it away last year when in for service, but now its slipping out even more...

I think someone on the moomba board scuffed up the gelcoat and used some sort of adhesive, and had luck with that...

I wonder if there is an alternative material to use, like seadek stuff or gator grip???

jonyb 03-28-2010 12:12 PM

So glue the tower to the deck? I've heard of people doing that, but after seeing a Centurion Metcraft tower with freezing damage and the owner having to buy a new tower, I'll never make mine permanent so that it can't be removed.

tyler97217 03-28-2010 2:46 PM

travis,
yes my new one is an 10' and I don't even have it yet. I am talking about one of my older boats. Pre 07'

rourker 04-26-2010 6:58 PM

Diggs / Craig- Do you guys have any suggestions on removing the pads. I have the replacements now but am looking for any tips on unbolting the tower from the fiberglass.

It's looking like quite the chore to get up under top deck and access the lock nut on the bolt. I think I'm most concerned with realigning the tower anticipating that it has some degree of flex that will need to be muscled back into place in order to reinsert the bolts.

Any suggestions out there?

BTW- The local dealer mentioned that the factory stated "tightening the tower a few times a season" would help reduce movement on the pads. ??????

you_da_man 04-26-2010 7:20 PM

My new 08 Moomba XLV did this on Sunday after running through some 2+ft chop for a while. The tower shook more than I expected when impacting the large waves. Guess the dealer will have my boat to fix the problem

jonyb 04-26-2010 7:22 PM

Seth, are you sure there's a nut? I think they don't have nuts. SC told me there's some sort of lamination process so the material on that part of the deck is thicker. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

rourker 04-26-2010 7:28 PM

You are correct, there is add'l material laminated on the underside. I can see the lock nut and washer under the area where they laminated the composite to the fiberglass for reinforcement. At least this is the configuration under the rider's side bow mounting point. I'm assuming it's the same for the cockpit mounts.

tgoin 04-27-2010 4:49 AM

My 08 pads (one of them) is starting to slip out a little ... I don't think they have totally "fixed" it .. this was noticed after my return from Havasu (1150 miles on the trailer each way).

Todd

rourker 04-27-2010 6:25 AM

I think that trailering is the main culprit. I store my boat 3 hrs away for the season. Having pulled it to storage and back, I've noticed that the amount of movement was significant while prepping for the season. Planning to unbolt from the top deck and put in new pads. The originals have torn through the bolt holes in the pads which have allowed them to slide. Evidently, the tower flex on the trailer/water is enough to reduce the force beign applied to the pad and top deck allowing it to move.

Still looking for tips. Has anyone unbolted their Super tower?

wakebdr2002 04-27-2010 11:25 AM

Take out the speaker nearest the tower and you can reach up and get a wrench on the locknut. Unscrew from the topside using #3 screwdriver.

rourker 05-16-2010 7:02 AM

Just wanted to thank you all for the tips and posts. If replaced the two rear tower pads and tightened the front. If you haven't checked your tower mount bolts, you many want to. The front bolts were not really that tight.

I'll keep an eye on the rear pads after trailering. There may not be a whole lot that can be done to keep them from sliding out given this design.

Thanks again.