WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   Hot start issues on an LT1 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=780044)

xstarrider 05-29-2010 8:34 PM

Hot start issues on an LT1

Ok So noticed my title was wong...was in my buddie's boat all day with an LT1 I actually have the LTR engine.....Sorry

So latley I have been having some issues witha hot start after a set or 2. I turn off the boat to swap riders and the next start tends to be a little rough. Have to juice the throttle a little a little to get it going.Runs smooth and starts instantly on cold, but the hot start issue came about last year before winterization so just not sure what's going on.

Like I said runs great and purrs, but just a couple hot start times it needs some juice. Anyone with some insight could shoot some things my way.

behindtheboat 06-01-2010 6:01 AM

Fuel pump might be about to hit the bed. It could also simply be it's hot, and it's been sitting without any water cooling it for a minute, maybe just don't turn it off.

bill_airjunky 06-01-2010 9:10 AM

Vapor lock? Was it hot out? If you let it sit for 20 - 30 min., does it start & run like there was never a problem?

Crazy it's showing up in newer EFI engines more & more.

- Run the blower a lot.
- If your buying gas with ethanol in it, or using gas the boat was stored over the winter with, run a gas treatment like Stabil or SeaFoam in it.
- If it happens again, open your engine cover for 10 - 15 min. Now what?
- Tune it up.... ignition components mainly.

xstarrider 06-01-2010 8:12 PM

Yup when it sits for 15min or so 0 problems. Also the same on a cold start after a few days on the lift......Flawless start

It was 90degrees out and yes usually happens on hot days

Have to run ethanol gas. Only thing available

Boat has been through 3 tanks of gas already this year.

bill_airjunky 06-02-2010 9:47 AM

Sounds like vapor lock.

The guys at skidim.com had a kit I used on my old 205. It was just a fuel line insulation kit.... cost like $10 or $15. It kept the engine's heat from vaporizing the gas inside the fuel lines that are right over the intake & down the side of the engine. Definitely worth a phone call to see what they suggest.

Meanwhile, run the blower a lot. Put some fuel treatment in your gas. Probably worth checking your fuel pressure under various situations to see if the fuel pump is failing at all.

Good luck.

06-03-2010 6:28 AM

I had the same problem last summer. Boat would start great when cold. After it was warm and we cut the motor it was a disaster to restart. I started with fuel filter, ignition etc. but the problem never went away until I replaced the starter. No more problems at all. I talked to the local marina and the mechanic told me sometimes when the starters start going bad they "seize" up after there warm.

xxxChrisBxxx 06-06-2010 7:42 PM

Try insulating your fuel lines before you drop money on a secondary pump. Also treat the gas with STA-BIL Marine... Worked for me...