WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archive through May 19, 2006 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=329035)
-   -   Stereo Whine...Not From Alternator Though (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=326701)

leblanc1 05-15-2006 10:55 AM

Stereo is perfectly fine with ignition off, but as soon as I turn the key to the acc position (before starting motor) I get a sick squeel from the sub, and sub only. It's intermittent too. When I play with the wire that goes from my ignition switch to the circuit breaker, and the wire that goes from that same circuit breaker up to the wire bundle, it comes and goes. I've removed the circuit breaker from the loop and connected the ends of the wires together and it's still there. What on the dash gives off a signal and why would it only affect my sub? I'm thinking one of my guages might be causing this? My sub and sub amp are mounted under the driver dash.

nauty_tique 05-15-2006 4:45 PM

I'm sure you'll get some better help here in a bit but from what I know, you need to make sure your pre-amps aren't near or touching the power and ground cables to the amp or anything else for that matter, need to try and have your "RCA" cables away from any power wires. Hope this helps.

leblanc1 05-15-2006 10:12 PM

I disconnected my RCA's with the same result. Thoughts anyone?

acurtis_ttu 05-16-2006 6:35 AM

Do you have an eq in your system? What "wire" are you talking about? I'm assuming it might be the switched power wire. How are the power/grounds run to your stereo? And on your sub amp? Could that wire be loose from it's source? I've seen loose power wires cause buzzing from subs. When you shake that wire (that stops the sub "squeel") are you touching any of the RCA's?

leblanc1 05-16-2006 12:14 PM

No EQ. The wire I'm talking about goes from the ignition, to a circuit breaker then up to the factory wire bundle. When I bend and pull and push that wire as it goes into the wire bundle, the whine comes and goes. I pulled the RCA's out of the amp and it was still whining. Power wire from distribution block to amp is tight at both ends. I'll look further this evening.

acurtis_ttu 05-16-2006 12:26 PM

more than liekly that wire is loose somewhere. trace it back and find wher it's connected to. I had the same probolem with my eq.....the ground and remtoe wires where both good connections btu the power was nto, everythign lit up ont he eq and showed it working, but I got a "buzz" not a "whine". soudns liek it's loose or a bad connection. Do you have a voltmeter to test the wire?

peter_c 05-16-2006 1:45 PM

Rewire the whole thing, with a direct wire to the amp from the battery, just make sure you have a fuse near the battery. The amp is switched by the head unit on and off, unless you have something screwy going on.

leblanc1 05-16-2006 7:24 PM

The amp is direct wired to the battery for power and ground and there's a fuse at the battery. The amp gets its remote turn on from the HU and the head unit is not tied into the ignition, it gets its power direct from battery as well. The thing is, it's intermittent. I can't get it to duplicate at home now. Again, the engine does not have to be running to get the noise. I'm almost certain it's a loose wire or something is making contact somewhere because it comes and goes as I push the wires around. Still looking.

nbeihl 05-16-2006 8:21 PM

You can always get an inline filter from radio shack and that should take care of your problem. It will be $15 or less!

acurtis_ttu 05-17-2006 6:34 AM

Dont' re-wire the whoel thing. That wire yoru "wigggling" is lose and causing that noise. You need to re-connect that wire....even if the connection looks good re-do it. I woudl bet the noise goes away. the filters nbeihl are talkign about are just band-aids and don't fix the problems....they are for ground loop problems. This does not appear to be a ground loop.

jayc 05-17-2006 9:09 AM

My perfect pass causes interference on the radio, nothing when on CD though. <BR> <BR>I re routed the aerial cable and its better but still there.