WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   V-drive help!! (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=784191)

clotus 10-15-2010 1:01 PM

V-drive help!!

I have an 08 Sanger V215 with the Walter V-drive. Today I was working on changing the fluid for the 100 hr service. I was using a hand pump (http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...pid=13488&BASE) and all was going fine until:

While moving the tube around inside the unit through the dip stick to make sure we were getting all of the fluid out the tube, which was inserted and pulled out several times, got stuck on something. After approximately 30 min of trying to free it the plastic tube broke off. So now there is approximately 6" of this plastic tubing inside the v-drive and I have no idea what it got stuck on. Any ideas?? Will it damage anything if just left? How can I get it out or is it time to take it to a shop and work some overtime to pay what I am sure will be a hefty labor price. Please help.....

PS - I am super pissed :mad:

10-15-2010 1:09 PM

this happened for your v drive or oil dipstick? i've heard about this happening. i don't know about a solution, but for future, for trans and such us some copper piping with it's own hose with your pump. the reason given for this contraption was that many people had done the same thing that happened to you. good luck. call your dealer and engine manufacturer. they are usually glad to help to a point.

clotus 10-15-2010 2:00 PM

The tube is inside the actual v-drive through the dipstick hole. We will be getting a small copper tube for the future.

rallyart 10-15-2010 2:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You might be able to grab the tube with a flexible claw pick-up tool. They are not expensive.
If you can get a hold of it then you need to hand crank the prop slightly left and right to move the gears inside the v-drive to free the tube. That will take two people. If that fails the best thing is to pull the v'drive. :(
You could try driving it and having the gears chew up the tube. then sucking the oil out a few times to try to extract the pieces. You might wind up having to replace some bearings and thoroughly cleaning the v-drive when you pull it if it does not work. IF you want to try that route you should make sure you can turn the complete driveline manually before you fire the engine. It would really not be good if it jammed and stopped the engine while running. :eek:

trace 10-16-2010 11:49 AM

Art has good advice, as usual. Don't Walter units have a big inspection cover on top? I've never had mine off, but it looks like basically the whole top of the case comes off.

clotus 10-16-2010 1:57 PM

We pulled the top cover before the tube broke. It opens up to a water-cooler system, but has no access to the interior unfortunately. We also pulled the front pump off, but still no access. Have turned the prop several times in both directions and no issues, moves freely. The v-drive should be engaged all the time correct and the tranny is where it will stop turning in neutral. Meaning with the boat in neutral and I spin the prop the v-drive gears should turn, correct? We are thinking to run it and keep an eye on it, it might be caught on something away from the gears and have no problem. It is also only plastic, I can't see it jamming the gears. Any other suggestions. How much am i look at to have the v-drive pulled at a shop (not sure we can handle it).

trace 10-16-2010 7:33 PM

Yes, the gears will always turn when you turn the prop. Neutral happens in the transmission. I would just run it and keep an eye on the tube. If it disappears, change your oil a couple times.

camassanger 10-16-2010 8:40 PM

hmmm, I wouldnt run it. And I feel for ya here, I know this is a bummer. But, I would pony up the money to have it opened up and pull the plastic tube out. It may be unlikely that it will do any damage, but once that oil heats up, that tube is going to become softer and it will get drawn into the gears... Replacing the whole v-drive is north of a thousand dollars from what I understand... While it is opened I would ask the mechanic if there is any way to seal up the bottom a bit better... they are infamous for leaking...

trace 10-17-2010 7:21 AM

Do what you feel you need to do, but V-drives are built VERY tough. The only way a plastic tube could do any real damage is if it tore a shaft seal, all the oil ran out, and you ran it for a long time without oil. If you do want to pull it, it is not that difficult to do.

cadunkle 10-17-2010 8:38 AM

Depends on the type of bearing in the unit. Thrust bearings or non roller bearings will likely be scarred if the tube get crushed up and into the bearings. Roller bearings will likely be damaged from the grittyness of it, but not terribly so. If the unit has all bearings pressurized witha oil pump and pickup screen, the screen may keep you safe, or not. If you're lucky the piece of tube will stay in one piece in the bottom of the vdrive unit and do no harm. Lots of variables.

If if were my boat I'd pull a drain plug and any access plugs (any side covers?) and try to pull the piece out. I once dropped a spring form a shifter into a transmission, was pissed, but ended up pulling the PTO cover and fishing it out. If not, I'd probably pull the unit, order a gasket/seal kit for it and fish out the tube. Use it as an opportunity to clean your bilge and detail your engine, replace any other misc stuff that was on the "don't feel like dealing with it right now" list.

clotus 10-17-2010 11:23 AM

Thanks for the help guys. We are going to the river this weekend, with plenty of boats. We are going to run it and keep an eye on everything. If something doesn't seem right we will pull the boat out and take it to a shop. Any idea what i am looking at price wise (ballpark) to pull the v-drive out and re-install it?

docdrs 10-19-2010 5:11 PM

remove the bottom cover plate....4 bolts...then with a mirror look for your piece of plastic.......if you dont do this and run it then service your filter screen afterwards and look for the plastic particles