WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Non-Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4387)
-   -   Audi S5? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=786181)

Michael 03-02-2011 2:04 PM

Audi S5?

Anyone have one? This is something that i have been looking at this year but I wonder if i should wait till 2012 models in September? I have heard that they are downsizing their engine sizes on some models and personaly would rather have a V8 over a turbo charged V6. Im hear in germany currently and i went to an audi dealer the other day and saw some pretty cool cars that we dont have in the USA yet. Just trying to get this though out of my head.

magic 03-02-2011 2:14 PM

Believe that Wes has an S5 and has had some issues with it. We have an S4, a '06 with 95K miles. The motor has been flawless, one head light has gone out and the control knob deal for the sunroof needed to be replaced (covered). My wife drives it, bit of a waste on her and I'd like to get it back some day as my daily driver.

Michael 03-02-2011 2:21 PM

yeah im sure Wes drives it hard and as will I. I like the Audi S5 alot more that the S4 just because i want something alittle larger or the driver. im just trying to figure out what year, '11 or '12 and what color. I really like the flatblack with red interior, but probably played out hard. What do you think?

magic 03-02-2011 2:36 PM

We have the Avant (wagon) body style, so lots of room. Exterior is Blue with back and carbon interior. A few brushed trim pieces, but no other colors on the inside. Did not get the color inserts in seats, I like the interior to be very clean looking. Red interior would be way to much for me.

My boss has an R8, and there is a couple RS4 and an other S4 in the extended team at work. I'd love an RS6 Avant.

guido 03-02-2011 6:28 PM

RS5 would be the ultimate.

Michael, I'd be suprised if they don't replace the V8 with the supercharged 6. I think that motor is going to go into all S cars. The RS cars will go on with the direct injected 8 until it's replacement. There's really no problem with the 6. It's definitely the better motor, however, it'll never have that V8 sound.

My brother has a S4 with the V8. It's a great car. Makes all the right noises. Quick and runs through the gears well. We've got a S-line A4 with the 2.0t motor (the small motor available in the A5). It's a great motor, too. It's the little motor that can. It gets 30+ MPG and has plenty of grunt. I think it makes 260hp in the A5. The 3.2 is great in that chassis, too.

You can't go wrong with that car. If I were a bit younger (or older, or single, etc) that'd be my dream set up. As it sits I would take the S4 for it's practicality. All the performance with an extra couple doors and super sleeper status.

Post pics when you get it. It'll be a sweet car. As for colors.... Hmm, I don't know about flat black. I think I would go with the diamond black with red interior or something basice like red with black interior. Gotta look out for resale down the road.

I think Audi ended up taking care of Wes. So far, so good with our '07. No warranty issues at all.

pesos 03-02-2011 7:45 PM

yes I had a frustrating 10 days with a sketchy service writer trying to see if I'd bite and pony up $5k lol. i actually don't drive the car very hard. i work at home and don't drive all that much at all these days! :-)
but Evan knows his stuff and once the dealer opened the car up to look more closely it was a warranty issue, just as Evan expected.

other than that recent experience, the car has been excellent, April will be 3 years.

I miss the handling of the m3, but the audi is SO much nicer inside and more comfortable/roomy all around. the new bmw interiors really bug me.

i am probably going to lease my next car, first time. not sure what it'll be.

Michael 03-02-2011 11:06 PM

Well thank you for the input, i guess i wont know what year to choose until the unvail in the summer. I love the sound of the V8 over the V6 so i hope they dont do something dumb.

I would love the RS5, just saw it for the first time. so amazing, but the price tag is around 100k so its a little steep for me. I am pushing it with the S5.lol

As for colors, Black with red interior?

dakid 03-02-2011 11:18 PM

get an avant...avants rule! ;)

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5099/...d2c89857_b.jpg

Michael 03-03-2011 5:28 AM

I like that avanti, but honestly I have plenty of time in my life to drive a wagon. I'm 25, single, don't want to drive a family car yet. It was definitely an option, I liked it a lot. How do you like it?

magic 03-03-2011 6:52 AM

Here is a crappy phone camera pic of our S4

http://inlinethumb47.webshots.com/45...600x600Q85.jpg

Rack'd out and kitted up for biking and snowboarding!

wakereviews 03-03-2011 7:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Huge Audi fan, would love an RS5 - since we're posting.. here's my old S4.

Michael 03-03-2011 7:48 AM

My thinking is I already have a truck, so I want a car that I can blast around in. If I need to move more stuff I can just use the truck.

Nice cars guys, I can't wait any longer. Lol when I find out what they are doing for 2012 I will be ready to order. I look at is as there is supercharger on the v6 for 12 possibly, why not throw one on a v8?

guido 03-03-2011 12:45 PM

The whole point these days is improving the CAFE numbers. A smaller forced induction gets the same HP with better overall economy. Unfortunately the V8's days are numbered. All the manufactures are leaning toward turbo and supercharging for increases in mileage and power. It's just the way of the world. Unfortunately for those that love the V8 sound it'll get tougher and tougher to find. I'd be suprised if Audi doesn't do the new 6 in the S5 soon. If not this year, then they'll probably hold off until a re-style, which at this point is probably 2-3 years away for that chassis.

pesos 03-03-2011 12:48 PM

The sc v6 is already in the S5 cab, the coupe can't be far behind.

barry 03-03-2011 12:55 PM

Fi ftw!

Michael 03-03-2011 1:36 PM

I didnt see anything odd when i was in Audi Germany. But some one that i know just ordered a 2011 S5 and he told me that they are changing the body for the 2012.i dont know how much but i hope its good. As for the V8, i love the sound more than anything. V6 just seems rediculous to me regardless of efficiancy. Are they going to throw a V6 in the RS5?? they just cant get that kind of power out of a V6.

pesos 03-03-2011 5:45 PM

I can't see them changing the S5 body already with the RS5 just coming out. RS cars will have v8s for years to come. Low enough production that it won't hurt their overall mpg numbers.

guido 03-04-2011 10:36 AM

Oh, for sure you can get that power out of a forced induction V6. Sky's the limit with forced induction. That's the beauty of it. There are guys making 400+ hp out of the direct injected 2.0 4 cylinder. With naturally aspirated motors you're limited with the hp that you can make. In order to make more power you either need more displacement or to raise the rev limit (hence the 8,500 rpm limit on the RS4). There's only so far you can go with piston speed and still maintain reliability and relative affordability. I think they've effectively hit the wall of combustion efficiency. There might be a bit more there, but it's very limited. 100 hp/liter seems to be the magic number there. Hence, turbos and super chargers are the way of the future.

dakid 03-04-2011 11:09 AM

[start hijack]

evan, what can one do to the 3.2 for better mpg (and performance)? i heard chipping will only add 5hp and MAYBE give an extra 2-3mpg.

[/end hijack]

guido 03-04-2011 3:34 PM

Not much you can do, Joe. The cars are already pretty much pushed to their max these days. You can pick up some HP with a tune and exhaust, but 5hp is probably realistic. Maybe 10. Usually at the cost of something else (low end torque, driveability, etc). Mileage will be essentially impossible to improve. It's huge for them to go after every mile per gallon they can get.

If you want performance and MPG, go for the 2.0T motor. So much more versatility.

dakid 03-04-2011 4:05 PM

thanks evan. unfortunately, the model years i was lookin' at, the only option was the 3.2 if i wanted a quattro. plus, the cam follower issues on the 2.0T worried me.

guido 03-05-2011 7:56 AM

What're you looking at? The 3.2 is the late motor. B7 chassis and newer. Maybe in some late B6's. Same cars that the 2.0t would be in. B6 would get the 1.8t. You can get quattro with the 4 cyl in the B6 and B7. I haven't even heard of the cam follower issues. The 4 cyl's are rock solid (heck, all the Audi motors are solid). The only issues with the 4's is that they require more maintanence (timing belts) and the early ones had limited oil capacity and hated extended oil change intervals. Otherwise, I haven't seen a single major engine failure. I haven't even had the head off one for anything except failed timing belts.

I could be wrong about the engine combo's, but off the top of my head I think you could get quattro with anything with a Manual. Automatic and quattro would mean a 6 cyl. Are you looking for a autobox, because those do have problems. Torque converter mostly.

magic 03-05-2011 7:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dakid (Post 1663857)
[start hijack]

evan, what can one do to the 3.2 for better mpg (and performance)? i heard chipping will only add 5hp and MAYBE give an extra 2-3mpg.

[/end hijack]

I looked into this a little bit with our S4. Think I figured out it was cheaper to have bought a used RS4 for more performance then trying to mod a non-Turbo motor. All bolt on or chip mods seemed to be for bragging rights, sound, and to move a little hp around but not really pick anything more up.

I did put a set of slotted & dimpled rotors with better pads on, nice difference to the brakes.

dakid 03-05-2011 12:11 PM

i guess i should have pointed out that i was talkin' about the a3. haha! but yeah, in 07, the quattro was only available w/ the 3.2 and the dsg tranny. i hadn't heard/read anything about tranny problems. were they the dsg trannys?

and yeah, the cam follower issue was pretty bad from what i read; going out every 15k to 30k miles, on the 06 to 08.5 2.0T.

guido 03-07-2011 10:42 AM

Joe, don't believe everything you read on the internet. LOL!

I've got a '07 2.0 and haven't had a single issue. Plus, I work on them everyday and I haven't seen an issue on a customers car.

DSG's are better than the autobox's. I've yet to see a failure, but most are still under warranty. If you take care of them and keep the oil fresh they should hold up. That said, the guy that works next to me has a '08 GTI with a DSG. It's been acting up since the car was new. Poor shift quality, revving and banging into gear, etc. Dealer can't determine the problem.

As for the A3.... Hmm. I'm not sure it's a real Audi. The motor is faced the wrong way. It's a transverse car. Basically a FWD with a rear drive scabbed on. Oh well. Better than a straight FWD, but not traditional Audi. I really haven't had many of those in the shop. For me, I like the VW R32 better, but they're getting rare to find un-molested. Just go for that A4 Avant you've always wanted.

dakid 03-07-2011 1:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guido (Post 1664346)
Joe, don't believe everything you read on the internet. LOL!

I've got a '07 2.0 and haven't had a single issue. Plus, I work on them everyday and I haven't seen an issue on a customers car.

weird considering there's a 10-page sticky on audizine re: cam follower issues among many other cam follower threads, as well as threads on nwquattro. there's a ton of people that had zero problems w/ the cam follower, but there was also a ton of people that had issues. i just didn't want to deal w/ that. but again, i wanted an 07 a3 quattro so it was moot at that point since the 07 only came w/ the 3.2.

Quote:

DSG's are better than the autobox's. I've yet to see a failure, but most are still under warranty. If you take care of them and keep the oil fresh they should hold up. That said, the guy that works next to me has a '08 GTI with a DSG. It's been acting up since the car was new. Poor shift quality, revving and banging into gear, etc. Dealer can't determine the problem.

mine seems to be just fine. *knock on wood*

Quote:

As for the A3.... Hmm. I'm not sure it's a real Audi. The motor is faced the wrong way. It's a transverse car. Basically a FWD with a rear drive scabbed on. Oh well. Better than a straight FWD, but not traditional Audi. I really haven't had many of those in the shop. For me, I like the VW R32 better, but they're getting rare to find un-molested. Just go for that A4 Avant you've always wanted.

i've had the not-a-real-audi a3 for almost 2 months now. :D

maineboarder 03-07-2011 3:41 PM

I had an 2007 S4 and traded for an 2010 S5 V8. S5 handles much better. S4 was very nose heavy. S5 also nicer interior but almost useless back seats. Had no problems with either car. Yes, new S4s and S5s will have 6 cylinder. RS5 will keep V8 but its going to be 90K. So the best choice might be to find a low mileage S5 V8......

guido 03-07-2011 4:32 PM

"S4 was very nose heavy" I couldn't agree more. The first time I drove one I almost ran it off a freeway off ramp it understeered so bad. The 4cyl car doesn't have the sound or the grunt, but is much better balanced.

Joe, cool. Those A3's are cute. J/K! Should be a good car for you. The 3.2's a hog, but it's got good power and it's smooth.

Michael 03-07-2011 6:51 PM

So i went and checked out the S5 today... I like it but i think i might get sick of folding the seats down. I might just go with the S4. i liked it. Its more practical for me to, I do have clients and not having rear doors is dumb. I would get the S5 if i could get the fastback version.

guido 03-08-2011 10:27 AM

Another dreamer bite's the dust. Ha, ha, ha. I love the S5. I wish I had the coin to have one sit around and have a S4 as a daily driver. Oh well. The new S4 is one sweet machine. Practicality wins out again.

Michael 03-08-2011 10:34 AM

Practicality sucks. ha I really liked how wide the S5 is but i cant really complain about the S4. I think i will be happy with the S4 as long as i get the right color combo.

wakereviews 03-08-2011 1:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
this is exactly how i'd love an S5.... drool.

guido 03-08-2011 2:56 PM

Yup, that'd do it.

Michael 03-08-2011 6:13 PM

Damit Ian dont do this to me. I just settled for practicality and now this.

diamonddad 03-08-2011 6:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A co-worker comes to me tonight and says "dude, check out my new car"...

dakid 03-08-2011 6:31 PM

am i the only one here that hates the chrome on the grill? also, what's w/ the random chrome around the driver/passenger windows? yuck! other than that, the a5's suh-weeeeeeeeeeeeeet! now it just needs coilovers. :)

pesos 03-08-2011 7:20 PM

Dane, which engine?

diamonddad 03-08-2011 8:23 PM

V10. It's a sweet ride!

dakid 03-08-2011 11:26 PM

love me some blacked-out grill.

http://www.vividracing.com/forums/ga.../3/audis53.jpg

wakereviews 03-09-2011 6:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
hmmm, i like the chromed grill in the one above, but blacked out is pretty sweet too. It'd probably look a lot better with the RS series style honeycomb grill like this

pesos 03-09-2011 7:56 AM

What bugs me is the giant orange reflector integrated into the headlight assembly. Not as obnoxious on the black but on my blue one it bugs. $1,400 for the euro headlights, meh.

barry 03-09-2011 8:41 AM

I'm a big Audi fan! I'm just too cheap to buy one.
There's something about the wheel wells on every Audi.. It's like the entire vehicle was designed around the perfectly shaped arch. Nothing on the road sets-up as nicely as an Audi with a quality set of wheels.
Well, an E46..

barry 03-09-2011 8:43 AM

Joe, I think the chrome looks cheap.

Michael 03-09-2011 9:08 AM

you guys are not nice at all. I crushed my dreams for practicality and now your rubbing salt in the wound with those pictures. Show me a sweet S4?do they exist?

wakereviews 03-09-2011 9:44 AM

yeah, scroll up to my old one :) I am not a real big fan of the newer body styles.

magic 03-09-2011 9:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 1664770)
you guys are not nice at all. I crushed my dreams for practicality and now your rubbing salt in the wound with those pictures. Show me a sweet S4?do they exist?

http://inlinethumb56.webshots.com/46...600x600Q85.jpg

That would work so fine for me :D

Michael 03-09-2011 10:19 AM

That one is so clean, Im not sure about the avant but thats a nice car.

dakid 03-09-2011 1:02 PM

s4 w/ blacked-out grill

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...4/DSC00296.jpg

Michael 03-09-2011 2:51 PM

Joe,

How do you like it?

dakid 03-09-2011 2:53 PM

how do i like what? i don't have an s4. i have the unworthy a3. ;)

Michael 03-09-2011 3:05 PM

oh no audi is unworthy.lol That might be my car there. Im going to wait till i hear more about 2012 and if they bring the 4 door s5 to the states.

dakid 03-09-2011 4:59 PM

yeah, that s4 is one sick ride! when you get yours, just make sure to black out the chrome grill. oh, and get rid of that orange reflector in the headlights! haha! i wanted an a4 or s4, but it just wasn't in the budget. so far, i'm stoked on the a3. quick little car and such a fun car to drive. i can't wait to lower it and add some bass to it! :)

barry 03-09-2011 6:10 PM

Quote:

and add some bass to it!
Please don't.

dahmsy686 03-09-2011 6:12 PM

I would take any one of the Avants pictured above. The matte black one is pretty sweet!

dakid 03-09-2011 9:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barry (Post 1664862)
Please don't.

always.

barry 03-09-2011 11:01 PM

*groans*

dakid 03-09-2011 11:09 PM

tell you what barry; you make my payments, and i'll keep the bass out. ;)

i happen to like a loud, good sounding system. i alway have. the stock speakers in the audis are really good (for stock). they're no mb quartz, but they sound good. but, like most stock systems, they lack bass.

mc_x15 03-10-2011 6:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magic (Post 1664781)

Sick, what car is that exactly, S4 wagon. year?? I may need to dump mytruck and move into a wagon.

Michael 03-10-2011 9:11 AM

That wagon is no stock wagon,

Things i noticed:
RS4 grill even though its no RS4, Maybe an A4
Matte black, You can only order that color in Europe
different rims
Different lights

mc_x15 03-10-2011 10:23 AM

I figured this much, but man that thing is sick. Matt black I prob wouldnt want. but the rest is done just perfect. Prob 15k in upgrades though.

mc_x15 03-10-2011 10:25 AM

On another note is the avant just the wagon type A4/S4, or does it have something extra a "non" avant wouldnt have.

Michael 03-10-2011 11:57 AM

well they dont make a S4 avant in the states. But a A4 avant they do. The difference between the A4 and S4 coupe is the engine size. The A4 is a turbo 4 cylinder. The S4 is a spercharged V6, and also has different interior, exterior and electronix.

Michael 03-10-2011 12:01 PM

sorry i didnt answer you question to the fullest. Avant is audi's wagon series, the one shown is the A4.

guido 03-10-2011 12:30 PM

Yeah, it appears that wagon is a B7 chassis. Extra sick. I love the matte black.

I'm struggling with the idea of taking over my wifes B7 A4. It's a great car. I bought it like I'd want (s-line, 6 speed), but the stereo (even the premium sound) just doesn't cut it for me. Plus, then I'd have to get coil overs, swaybars, wheels, engine tuning, exhaust, blacked out grilles, etc. The list just never ends. My finger hovered over the "buy it now" button on ECS' website last week, but I went and blew the budget on motorcycle parts instead. Looks like I'm in the Rover for a bit longer before she lays claim to it.

I love that new S4. I think when ours hits 100k it's going away in favor of one of those. The ultimate high speed Tahoe transit.

Joe, where are the A3 pics? We've got a great looking one here right now (like a giant golf..... sorry, you know I can't resist giving you a hard time).

Michael 03-10-2011 12:37 PM

Evan,

I love the idea of using it to smash to tahoe but i found with my truck the salt is turning the under-carrage into a rust bucket. Im going to keep my truck for that. This car is going to be a great town to town car/ freeway car.

On another note..

I noticed you live in danville? How do you like living out there? Im sick of living in disco, its great for riding but thats it. Too far removed for me.

dakid 03-10-2011 3:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guido (Post 1664990)
Joe, where are the A3 pics? We've got a great looking one here right now (like a giant golf..... sorry, you know I can't resist giving you a hard time).

bitch! ;)

here's a pic of mine;

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5293/...737fdc71_z.jpg

guido 03-10-2011 6:20 PM

Michael, I do agree. The salt eats up the undercarriage. I've not found it to be as big of a problem on european cars as it is on domestic trucks. The european cars do a better job of using stainless and sealing undercarriages than the americans do. Not only that, but the entire underside of the cars is essentially covered in plastic paneling. It keeps most of the important stuff clean and dry. My biggest issue with using our car for tahoe is the beating they take from the rocks. As sad as it is, our Audi has never seen the snow. We've brought it up when there was a chance of snow in the forecast, and it goes up all summer long, but it's yet to see standing snow on the road. The truck gets to be the snow mule.

As for Danville... I love it here. I grew up here, so it kinda feels like home after being in Dublin for 6 years. It's quiet and safe, has good schools and a nice downtown with great resteraunts and shops. I definitely can't complain about anything but the cost of living. Ha, ha, ha.

Joe, that thing's sweet. Congrats brotha, I know you've dug Audi's for a long time.

guido 03-10-2011 6:23 PM

Incidently... Now that I look at that matte black Avant some more, I'm pretty sure that's a RS4 wagon. Just one of the many cars we can't get here. Either that, or someone spent a ton of time grafting the fenders on.

That's one sexy car, right there.

Michael 03-11-2011 8:21 AM

Thats cant be an rs4 wagon because no one in there right mind would pull the rs4 emblem off the grill.

there are so many cars that they have that i want. I saw an RS5 when i was in germany and there are only spy photos that exest here. should have took a picture and sold it.lol

guido 03-13-2011 12:46 PM

The RS5 is here. Rare, but here. And Awesome!!!

dakid 03-23-2011 11:35 PM

not bad for a "cute" car, eh? ;)

audi rs3

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ggvjl0stYKk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

03-24-2011 9:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 1664994)
I love the idea of using it to smash to tahoe but i found with my truck the salt is turning the under-carrage into a rust bucket. Im going to keep my truck for that.

Just an FYI, they don't use salt on Tahoe roads...

guido 03-24-2011 10:29 AM

Joe, lot's of cute cars are good performers. Take the Boxster for example.....

J/K. Take care homie.

Michael 03-24-2011 10:35 AM

Scott,

Tell me then why in one season my whole undercarrage turned to a rust bucket? I think they used to not use it.

I used to ride 4- 5 days a week and never wash my truck during the winter. Never had one sign of rust. then about 4 years ago after one month of going to tahoe i had an insane amount of rust under my truck.

Anyways, I have been thinking really hard about this Audi and im starting to think spending 55k on a car is more than i need right now. I need to buy a house and 30k extra would be nice to use to furnish the home.. So i went from an S5 to a used A4. FML

03-24-2011 10:52 AM

Nix that, looks like they use some salt in NV. They don't in CA and Truckee, sand only. Never had or seen rust problems on my or friends vehicles around here

migs 03-24-2011 11:22 AM

undercarriage wash after every trip to tahoe (once a week). Luckily for me Ducky's down the street from me has that option avail.

Michael 03-24-2011 11:46 AM

That would make alot of sense since i was riding alot on the NV side. But i wouldnt be so sure that they just dont say they dont use salt. have you ever been behing a sand truck? it doesnt look like only sand coming out.

guido 03-24-2011 12:28 PM

Lot's of dirt/rocks, too. Brutal. My windshield, grille and hood wear the battle wounds. Whatever. They're just cars/trucks. They'll make more when the one you've got is worn out.

Migs I'm with ya. That's how I roll, too. Every other trip the truck goes in for a undercarriage wash.

ralph 03-26-2011 11:10 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Not an Audi but still VAG. I've had it for a year or so and love it. The gear box (DSG), motor and sound are awesome. Love it.

Michael 03-28-2011 2:49 PM

So im back to the S5. I just found a Used S5 with 26,000 miles. Not bad. 2008 (looks identical to 2011) Grey exterior and red interior. Might go get it wednesday.

I wanted to get a new car but if i could save 20K on a car then im a happy man.