WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   What do you guys think about this video? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=778869)

ghettofab 04-26-2010 7:07 AM

What do you guys think about this video?

http://tinyurl.com/28887al

I wanna know what you the viewer think about this video. Do you wish there was more lifestyle and a 2minute lifestyle intro? Do you wish there was more slo mo? Are rails just not cool? Is the footage shaky and crappy? bring on the fire!

rc005 04-26-2010 8:26 AM

I do not like 3 scenes.. 1 the backseat jetski shots, 2 the weird flowers, 3 the tree at the end.. other than that the scenes are fine.. i like the lack of slo mo. slo mo makes anybody look like a superstar and its being used a lot now . Its nice to see a video without slo mo. I dont like watching videos that are all rails but in my opinion this video did quite well. Most of the time i can see a rail get hit 3 times before it loses my attention and i stop the video. This one held my attention all the way through.

TelepromptedAnthems 04-26-2010 8:39 AM

I'm into it. I could have done without the effects on the flowers, but I thought it was really well done. Did you shoot it with a DSLR?

pnichols 04-26-2010 9:20 AM

Well done IMO.

ghettofab 04-26-2010 12:24 PM

Teleprompted (brad right?)its a mix between 5d mk2 and Gopro HD ha.

Thanks Ryan for quality review

flydenrict 04-26-2010 1:08 PM

I didnt really have any issues with the shots. I think the backseat jetski shots would have been cooler if you actually shot the tricks from there rather than just riding (i think you can actually see the rail hits, but too far away) I like shots that make you see a trick from a different angle, not necessarily a crazy weird angle, just one thats not in all the vids. The guys head in the frame did that for me.

wakemitch 04-26-2010 1:19 PM

Patrick, I enjoyed the video and i can see you progressing a bit. But something I always see in your videos is that you cant keep the rider in the frame. It was really distracting in the chase shots. I know its hard to do when you have the gopro in your hand while your riding, but if the shot is all over the place you can leave it out of the video and use a better shot. Also in some of the shots of the rails from shore you panned a bit too fast which didnt flow with the rider.

Keep at it and keep pushing yourself. Dont be afraid to reshoot tricks. Its just as big a deal for the photographer to get the shot right as it is for the rider to get the trick right. Its a team effort. The photographer and rider should work as equals together.

ghettofab 04-26-2010 2:01 PM

Thanks mitch. I didnt actually shoot most of the stuff from shore with me in the background holding a gopro. so that will explain the panning

TelepromptedAnthems 04-26-2010 4:40 PM

Nice, do you have any kind of rig or steadycam for the 5D? I want to get the new Rebel that shoots video, but I'm worried it would be hard to get a good shot shooting from a chase boat or something.

And yeah, it's Brad...

fiveohfilms 04-26-2010 4:44 PM

dude i liked it a lot. the lifestyle shots are awesome, and the riding is even more awesome. coming from someone who is filming wake as well, i thought you did a great job with this, kept my attention the whole time no doubt. I shoot with a 7d now, and you can almost film anything and it will look amazing. these 5d's & 7d's are changing the film world. keep up the good work man. im always looking forward to a new pwieland vid

ghettofab 04-26-2010 5:35 PM

No rig or steadycam for the 5d. I do use a zacuto z-finder which helps a ton. Shooting with these cameras is very different from a actual video camera. There are many nice things and draw backs. Lens are almost more important then the camera itself. I used probably 4-5 different types of lenses in this video. And I would say the lenses together would cost over 5grand...

scott_a 04-27-2010 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rc005 (Post 1577608)
I do not like 3 scenes.. 1 the backseat jetski shots, 2 the weird flowers, 3 the tree at the end.. other than that the scenes are fine.. i like the lack of slo mo. slo mo makes anybody look like a superstar and its being used a lot now . Its nice to see a video without slo mo.

I think the backseat jetski shot works the first time, but I wasn't big on it being repeated. I like the feeling of 'being there' that it adds. I didn't like how much time was spent w/ the flowers. That could have been cut out IMO.

I also didn't like how the rider left the frame in one or two shots w/ the GoPro. I know that it can be super tough to make a perfect shot every time when you're doin the ol' 'hail mary' with the camera, but part of editing is knowing when to cut stuff out.

One side note, and I do apologize in advance for hijacking your thread...but I'm posting this here because you won't be able to remove it:

This is a screen grab from the George Daniels/Bret Little video where you edited your post. I understand you guys need to have the ability to remove/edit comments, but using your mod powers to edit your post AFTER reading Mitch's response to your previous comment is incredibly lame.

http://i40.tinypic.com/bfl0tv.jpg

rorowake 04-28-2010 12:19 PM

Sure the GoPro shots could have been framed better... but with GoPro you get what you get and they still did the trick for me. I really enjoyed that watch. It wasnt the same ole Projects video that you see over and over. It had a great feel to it and captured Clay's style very well. I personally dug the jet ski shot(s). Great perspective. Good work man.

ghettofab 04-28-2010 12:22 PM

I kinda did that after the fact for a reason scotta. For one I saw he realized that I knew it was him who was posting anonymously as "hater" in the above post. So by me editing my comment I felt as I made him look better... And Ill say i was relived in a sense when he actually came on there and commented with a valid opinion other then anonymously as a "hater"

and thanks for the critique scotta...

ghettofab 04-28-2010 12:24 PM

thanks ronnie means a lot coming from another filmer. Trust me guys there were TONS of gopro shots that were not used because of shakiness/framing. I know you guys dont believe me but there are a lot of shots that do not make it into the videos... This was my first time actually filming with the gopro riding doubles and I learned alot. I used it again today behind the boat in similar style and its not easy...

waterdork88 04-28-2010 9:50 PM

Great video, kept my attention all the way through... I liked the shots from the jetski and I like how you look for criticism in your own work.

ghettofab 04-29-2010 8:04 AM

every shoot, every video is a learning process.

mattgettel 05-05-2010 1:09 PM

nice nice!