WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Non-Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4387)
-   -   offroad race crash kills 8 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=782758)

pesos 08-16-2010 2:30 PM

offroad race crash kills 8

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/08/16/cal...ss_igoogle_cnn

wtf are these idiots doing standing so close to speeding vehicles?

ttrigo 08-16-2010 2:46 PM

I would not call them idiots, as some of your online friends here on WW do the same things at desert races.
two of these kids are from here in my hometown. pretty sad to say the least.

jarrod 08-16-2010 3:21 PM

Yeah the spectator thing is crazy in both dessert racing and in rally car racing. I don't know what the fans think are going to happen when things get our of control. Anyway, I feel bad for the people. They went for a weekend of fun and didn't come home. I feel bad for their families.

liquidmx 08-16-2010 4:03 PM

It was only a matter of time IMHO...after seeing some of the Baja CA race coverage...spectators get WAY WAY too close to the course.

guido 08-16-2010 4:09 PM

It's amazing to me that race promotors allow this to happen. Spectators shouldn't be allowed within 100 yards of those race trucks. I guess that kills some of the fun, but come on.... It's not like they never crash.

pnichols 08-17-2010 7:08 AM

Quote:

wtf are these idiots doing standing so close to speeding vehicles
^^Poor taste.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loca...100724944.html

One of the guys that was killed was a friend of mine, Mike Dickinson, and is far from being an idiot. He was one of the most selfless people you could ever want to meet. When Mike walked in a room the whole air changed, you couldn't help but smile when you were around him. He left behind two small kids and a wife. My thoughts and prayers are with all of the families that lost someone that day.

brianmiller 08-17-2010 7:36 AM

This is a sad story for sure. It looks obvious on TV that they are standing way too close, but I am sure if you went it is the thing to do. I don't no how the promotors could stop it besides making people aware of the risk.

wakereviews 08-17-2010 8:17 AM

I am sorry for your friend and his family Paul. What I had read was that it was posted that spectators should be 100 ft away in several locations but that most of the spectators just ignored it, which was very common for these types of races. I agree it was a matter of time, but that certainly doesn't make it suck any less.

slipknot 08-17-2010 9:12 AM

I have been to Johnson Valley for King of the Hammers, no one observes anything and there are no boundaries anywhere to keep people from the vehicles.

In a rock canyon, I saw rocks thrown up from a truck who was crawling 40' up and hit a guy in the head who then fell 25-30 feet down the canyon. I think people are killed during the Baja races we just dont hear about it more. This will definitely cause some changes in the way the races are held. Out come the lawyers.

08-17-2010 9:47 AM

Can't believe this doesn't happen more often. That being said - way more people are killed on the highways every week around here.

diamonddad 08-17-2010 9:50 AM

It was bound to happen. I have watched these videos over the years thinking, wow people are really cutting it close. Without barriers, people need to do the math and the math ain't pretty.

colorider 08-17-2010 10:31 AM

I have been a spectator at the Baja 1000 as well as other major offroad races. Being up close to the course is part of the excitement and what makes offroad racing unique. Its a risk and everyone that is a spectator knows the risk involved. Personally, I would not stand that close to the landing of a jump. I have watched trophy trucks wad up right in front of me and would not want to be in its path. Not only is a crash a big risk, but these trucks kick up some major rocks when they pass. I have seen spectators get knocked to the ground when a baseball sized rock spits out from under a tire and smacks them in the leg. Of course I laugh, but the dude who got laid out was not laughing. Watching a truck with 1100hp whizz past you on dirt at 100mph is something that is amazing to be a part of. Watching spectators scramble when a truck is swapping out is scary. The people there knew the risk and it is a damn shame that people died and got hurt. Extremely sad. I blame nobody. It was an accident, the people knew that being that close to the course is dangerous and took the risk,. Changing how the races are run will be a blow to the sport.

gunz 08-17-2010 10:48 AM

It'll never be the same after this.......but it shouldn't be.

RIP

mendo247 08-17-2010 11:08 AM

There were signs posted, stating keep back 125 ft. Do people really think that you can stand next to the course, 2-10ft from vehicles going 50-100 mph without having your life in danger? Im sure its a huge rush having them whizz by you but you have to understand you are taking a huge risk. It may appear that these trucks and buggies are in total control they way they handle the terrain but as many drivers state they are running on the edge and its a whole nother view from behind the steering wheel. This isnt pavement they are running on. After watching interviews on TV and internet allot of people out there had NO idea what was going on. People stating that there should have been barriers up, trucks should have slowed way down etc etc. It was a horrible accident and im really suprised we dont hear about it more often. I've seen countless videos of this happening in Mexico sometimes people die sometimes they get lucky.

RIP

jason_b 08-17-2010 11:09 AM

"Driver in deadly race crash will not face charges"

...uhh, no shiet, wtf?? Why would that even possibly be an option?

You can bet your sweet arse that promotor is lawyering up right now. He's definitely going to be filing a claim on the insurance policy for this. There's probably some slimy arse lawyers pre-spending their commissions as we speak.

iridelow1998 08-17-2010 11:42 AM

Definitely a sad situation for all involved. As a spectator of an event like this you really have to understand the risks involved with something like this. I'm sure it's a rush being that close to the action but I can tell you there's no way I would stand anywhere near that close for any type of race. I'm a huge supercross fan but there is no chance of me standing next to the track during a race. The thought of a 225lb motorcycle hitting me at 60-70 mph is terrifying. I can only imagine getting hit by a truck going 100mph.

I think calling people idiots may have been a little strong but I think he meant to convey that knowingly being the barrier for a 100mph race probably wasn't the best idea. Things can and will happen. It was only a matter of time. I feel bad for all those that were affected by this.

three6ty 08-17-2010 11:46 AM

MY brother in Law was about 100 feet away from where the truck rolled an dhe said it was just total Chaos and Carnage. Seeing a women lying in a pool of blood with her head split wide open . He said he will never get that image out of his head, and he has been a mess since this weekend and can not stop thinking about it.
RIP to all that died and I hope the people who enjoy watching this sport can learn from this so it does not happen again.

Sad Sad story

WakeboardNJ 08-19-2010 1:56 PM

I have to support Wes on his comment, I thought exactly the same thing. It should be said though that I understand where Andy's explanation is coming from and respect that. The excitement can be overwhelming I am sure. But I'll say (in "less strong words" because everyone seems offended here) that being that close to the race course is simply not smart!

pesos 08-19-2010 2:30 PM

Thanks Kevin. My intention was not to offend, I just was truly blown away when I saw that footage. Just looked like a recipe for disaster to me.