WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archive through May 21, 2003 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=68703)
-   -   Piranha Props (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67074)

wakemn651 05-15-2003 10:59 AM

I am looking for a new prop for my I/O and was looking at the 4-blade Piranha props. These props have the option to replace the blades individually if you damage one. The are composite props but are supposed to be stroger than aluminum. Any body have experiance with a prop like this?

bobbymucic 05-15-2003 11:18 AM

I've used the four blade, 20P. It was a nice prop. I have two issues with them. <BR> <BR>1) I believe blades broke on two different occasions when I didn't hit anything. I think the stress of a loaded boat eventually took it's toll on the prop.(I haven't heard this happening to anyone else.) <BR> <BR>2) Blades are not that easy to replace, they get stuck in there pretty good. <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

wakeboardin 05-15-2003 12:36 PM

I have the four blade 18 pitch and have had no trouble what so ever. As for changing the blade I use a rubber mallot they can be tough but I would rather spend 10 minutes changing one opposed to loosing the day. The guy I bought it from allowed me to try several different pitches as long as I didn't hit anything with it. Mine still look like new after over a year. I know someone who hit a small log and it did nothing to it. For the price it seems to well worth it. Good Luck

wakemn651 05-15-2003 1:06 PM

With the 4 blade 18 pitch did it help you to plain out quicker and hold speed better. How much weight do you have?

wakeboardin 05-15-2003 1:40 PM

Yes helped get on plan faster and helps with keeping speed better than a 3 blade 19 that I was using. As for weight I vary mostly I have 6-8 people with teen agers and adults so I don't run extra weight. I did try a 500 lb sack in the walkthrough once and four guys and it still pulled us out ok.

ifishok 05-16-2003 6:37 AM

I have a Piranha Prop and it needs 3 blades, I have one 18 pitch blade now and the hub. It fits a Mercruiser Alpha One. I would sell it for $50.00 plus the shipping. I think the blades cost $20.00 each. E-mail me or call me at 405-627-0061 <BR><a href="mailto:ifiskok@yahoo.com">ifiskok@yahoo.com</a>

chris_hargis 05-16-2003 7:18 AM

I looked into getting one of these when I was looking for a 4 blade prop, and decided to go ahead and spend the extra money for Stainless Steel because of what I had read about them. They are good props, and certainly cheaper than SST, but they are composite material, and therefore subject to flexing. Weighting down the boat for boarding does increase the stress of the prop when starting out, and the composite material flexes some causing stress to the blades. As you can see above, Bobby suspects this on his. <BR> <BR>That being said, they are cheaper than SST by about half. If you do hit something and break a blade, you can replace it, versus the entire prop, or having repair work done on a SST. You can also order extar blades of different pitch to try out and see what works best. <BR> <BR>Not trying to convince you for them or against them, just providing a little insight as to why I shelled out the $300 for a SST instead of getting the composite.

wakeboardin 05-16-2003 7:47 AM

I thought about the same thing Chris but decided I would rather spend roughly 100 - 200 on a propr than if I hit something with the stainless and bent my output shaft on my outdrive. The neighbor across from me hit a log just submerged enough to not see with a stainless prop and ended up $1500.00 poorer due to having the outdrive rebuilt. I guess it bend the output saft and as he ideled (sp?) back the bearings scored up the inside bad enough to create serious trouble. This scared me away from stainless. I am not saying this will happen to you just that its another possibility to consider Stainless is harder than most other metals. Look at all options and choose what works best for you. <BR> <BR>Good Luck.

chris_hargis 05-16-2003 8:07 AM

I also considered that, but my insurance will cover that if I hit something. I made sure of that before I went that way too. Good point to bring up WB, I forgot to mention that since I was covered.

bobbymucic 05-16-2003 12:32 PM

Newer stainless steel props have a "break away" hub (at least my merc hi-5 does). They are supposed to limit shaft and drive problems if the prop hits something. <BR> <BR>If I buy another prop, it will be a 4-blade aluminum (alpha by merc). I think that is a good combo between price and performance. <BR> <BR>Andy, let us know how the new prop works out.

wakemn651 05-16-2003 1:28 PM

I just ordered a merc 4-blade aluminum 18 pitch. I will let you know how it works. I am hoping that i will be able to trim the motor a bit now without the boat bouncing.