WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   Anybody Else Wanna Carry a Paintball Gun on the Boat? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=788034)

txaggie929 06-06-2011 9:52 AM

Anybody Else Wanna Carry a Paintball Gun on the Boat?

The ass-clowns were a plenty this weekend and I've about had it. Couldn't get a straight line for anything due to all the tubers not paying attention to anybody but themselves and a few other inconsiderate idiots passing too close (less than 75 ft)

But what really put me over the edge was some moron on a jet-ski who blew less than 20ft past my fiance after she had gone down boarding and was just floating there. I almost flipped a gasket, especially since one of my friend's dad was killed by somebody running him over with a jetski.

Apparently yelling at these people does nothing, but lighting them up with a paintball gun sure would get their attention. Anybody have any better solutions that may not get me in as much trouble?

psudy 06-06-2011 9:53 AM

Get their # and call water patrol?

norwalkbeast 06-06-2011 9:56 AM

build a potato gun and keep that on your boat.

txaggie929 06-06-2011 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by norwalkbeast (Post 1684077)
build a potato gun and keep that on your boat.

Already have a few of those...I even thought about that to ha ha ha!

sailing216 06-06-2011 10:01 AM

pop can filled with water does the trick. Sinks the evidence too

epic1 06-06-2011 10:02 AM

At Colorado state Parks, you can get there CL #'s and report them to Parks. If there are enough complaints about the same boat, it can be banned from that lake. If they re enter they can be charged with trespassing. Not sure how many complaints it takes.

tonyv420 06-06-2011 10:55 AM

This weekend was crazy, had a jet ski go 15ft across our bow with no clue what they were doing, also had a guy following and jumping our wake for like 15 min. Flipping idiot didnt stop until we blew the handheld air horn at his A$$! All this happened while we had a rider in the water. If I could get away with blasting them with the paintball gun, that would be awesome!!

jarrod 06-06-2011 11:01 AM

Sucks but you don't want to shoot anyone with a paintball gun. That's going to cause another problem that you don't want. You'll end up in a lot of trouble.

txaggie929 06-06-2011 11:03 AM

Well, I'm in Texas and you would think that people would be smart enough to think "oh crap, this guy may be packing some heat" and think twice before doing stupid crap. Maybe I need to fly a confederate flag off the boat just so people will think I might just be a little "off". Just don't get it - what ever happened to basic common courtesy?

cowwboy 06-06-2011 11:14 AM

I was thinking exactly the same thing this past weekend.
Even had a gayliner running parralell and they decided to turn and put his rider directly in front of us (with a rider being pulled). If we hadn't shut it down we would have ran directly over his rider.
I figured keep the paintballs in the cooler and if lake patrol came let the paintball Marker go for a swim.

liquidmx 06-06-2011 11:23 AM

I would suggest a cheap megaphone to start. This allows your voice to be heard...plus a lot of them come with siren's built in...which may be enough to get their attention.

lfadam 06-06-2011 11:34 AM

I like the idea of chasing them blasting an airhorn repeatedly till they stop, then you can yell at them. fun and effective

Jeff 06-06-2011 11:47 AM

I have one of these mounted on my tower:
http://www.imfdb.org/w/images/thumb/...iner_9Shot.jpg

Not really but I have thought about it. Mostly because I've often wondered what the heck I would do if a gator came around the boat while the kids were in the water though (I'm in Louisiana). There's very little recreational boating traffic where I normally go. I went out from 1:00-4:00 PM on Memorial Day and there was one other wake board boat on the water and a couple of fishermen. I'd tell you where this location is but then I'd have to kill you! Ha!

NuBu 06-06-2011 12:05 PM

cell phone + video+ lake patrol. I'm all about "sharing the lake" but stupid people suck!

murphy_smith 06-06-2011 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txaggie929 (Post 1684108)
Well, I'm in Texas and you would think that people would be smart enough to think "oh crap, this guy may be packing some heat" and think twice before doing stupid crap. Maybe I need to fly a confederate flag off the boat just so people will think I might just be a little "off". Just don't get it - what ever happened to basic common courtesy?

A paint ball gun and a confederate flag....come on really.

How about keeping your cool and first trying to educate the folks that you share the waterway with.

txaggie929 06-06-2011 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murphy_smith (Post 1684142)
Paul I'm born and raised Texan and I'm embarrassed to say that I hail from the same state as you based on your ridiculous comments. A paint ball gun and a confederate flag....come on really.

How about keeping your cool and first trying to educate the folks that you share the waterway with.

Murphy,

My comment was a joke - sarcasm is pretty hard to convey through text. Next time I'll put a "lol" after it. I understand there will always be D-bags on the lake, but when an idiot endangers the life of your significant other, I for one, come unglued.

I would be more than happy to educate the other people on the lake, but actually trying to talk to them is not an easy task. I'm a firm believer that YOU are responsible for being responsible and knowing the rules and what is and isn't safe - it's not my job to hold all these adults hand and let them know they're operating their watercraft in an unsafe and uncourteous matter.

wakeboard_pittsburgh 06-06-2011 12:42 PM

The perfect solution?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

- 85 foot range
- No evidence
- Spray paint it black?

We had the same type of situation this weekend. Our rider fell and this cigar boat started up (was parked about 800 feet away when he fell) and headed right for the rider. I don't know if they would have turned if I had not played chicken with them with our boat. They were hammered.

murphy_smith 06-06-2011 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txaggie929 (Post 1684144)
Murphy,

My comment was a joke - sarcasm is pretty hard to convey through text. Next time I'll put a "lol" after it. I understand there will always be D-bags on the lake, but when an idiot endangers the life of your significant other, I for one, come unglued.

I would be more than happy to educate the other people on the lake, but actually trying to talk to them is not an easy task. I'm a firm believer that YOU are responsible for being responsible and knowing the rules and what is and isn't safe - it's not my job to hold all these adults hand and let them know they're operating their watercraft in an unsafe and uncourteous matter.

I agree with you on the personal responsibility.

What lake were you trying to ride. All the DFW lakes suck on the weekend

txaggie929 06-06-2011 12:51 PM

We were out at Grapevine on Saturday - its only 20 min from the house. May try Eagle Mountain soon.

Bumpass1 06-06-2011 2:01 PM

Same type of things happened to me this weekend. Had some kids come rolling up in the cove I was sharing with 2 other wakeboats. Everything was cool before these punks showed up. All 3 of our wake boats we running without sending any rollers or swells toward each other. These kids start running against the grain and power turning all over the place. We ended up rolling out on the look for better conditions. They had no respect for anyone else that was out. I know that everyone has the right to be out and have a good time, but we all know how bad it sucks when idiots screw us up.

Also late in the day we switched to surf setup. I had fallen and looked up to see some little day cruiser wound out heading right for me. I had to swim quick to the board and I started waving it around completely out of the water. Finally saw me from about 100 feet away. Glad the top of my board is completely white. Don't know if they would have seen any other color.

slowwwflowww 06-06-2011 2:48 PM

Power turns are the only way i can get to my fallen rider fast enough.Sometimes i can't stop and wait for wake to pass while some f$ck bears down on my son with a cruiser.Happened more than once.Had to honk wave hands and yell only to see them turn cause they see my boat,not my rider.It has alot to do with their bow rise at certain speeds they cannot see at all,which is damn scarey.Because there are no roads to follow out there most people think it's a f$cking" free for all",which is why we watersports lovers have to be soooooo vigilant!!!

slowwwflowww 06-06-2011 2:57 PM

Gayliner?I don't think stupidity is boat specific.

guido 06-06-2011 3:45 PM

FWIW..... powerturns are in no way faster for getting back to a fallen rider. If you're on the ball and cut the throttle right when your rider falls you can keep your boat directly in line with your rider and create a huge obstacle that a trailing boat has to go around. We live/ride at the Delta where close circumstances happen everyday. Power turns do nothing but put everyone in danger.

i like where you guys are all going. I was thinking more like a sniper rifle for taking out tubes. I like the spud gun for stupid boaters. Maybe some of those bean bag shells for a 12 gauge. I'm just sayin'..... Hahahaha.

Be safe out there guys. Have a great summer.

wake77 06-06-2011 3:49 PM

"FWIW..... powerturns are in no way faster for getting back to a fallen rider."

The truest words posted on this forum in several months.

slowwwflowww 06-06-2011 3:57 PM

What kind of an obstacle is a boat 75-80 ft plus distance to stop on opposite side of rider that you need to be.Tried that on those occasions,it's like waiting and hoping!!!No thanks

jeff359 06-06-2011 4:00 PM

Shooting a paintball gun at a moving or from a moving motor vehicle is a felony here. If I get a felony, I'm blowing a couple 40 cal rounds off their bow not a paint ball

slowwwflowww 06-06-2011 4:29 PM

Don't g me wrong i hate power turns but if i feel my rider's life is in danger i'll do whatever it takes to draw attention to his vacinity,tight power turning puts me in their peripheral view which is usually where they can best see when coming straight for your rider due to bow rise etc...

ryanw209 06-07-2011 2:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeboard_pittsburgh (Post 1684145)
The perfect solution?

- 85 foot range
- No evidence
- Spray paint it black?

We had the same type of situation this weekend. Our rider fell and this cigar boat started up (was parked about 800 feet away when he fell) and headed right for the rider. I don't know if they would have turned if I had not played chicken with them with our boat. They were hammered.

This is awesome! I have been looking for something like this for awhile! Would work on the boat and for..... say..... neighbors barking dogs :)

bill_airjunky 06-08-2011 2:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeboard_pittsburgh (Post 1684145)
The perfect solution?

- 85 foot range
- No evidence
- Spray paint it black?

Pretty sure your kidding here. Because if you aim a toy gun at some people, your likely to be at the wrong end of a real gun soon enough.

wakescene 06-10-2011 9:46 AM

FWIW..... powerturns are in no way faster for getting back to a fallen rider.

99% of the time I would agree to this, but this summer alone I have already had 1 situation where I needed to be the brick wall for my rider who had fallen. Idling back to the rider was not an option.

This is probably all situational, and I DON"T agree with powerturns, but on the rare occasion I do exercise HP for the sake of safety.

FunkyBunch 06-10-2011 10:12 AM

Paul

Grapevine and Lewisville are bad lakes on the weekends with this type of thing happens often. They both have allot of traffic and have available boat rentals. You will have to get up very early or find a different lake if you want to minimize this during the summer season.
Eagle Mt. will have lower boat traffic as a whole but has no wind blocks from my understanding. All that said I would love to have the integrated mic from wet sounds and the paint ball gun on my boat all the time.

guido 06-10-2011 10:17 AM

"99% of the time I would agree to this, but this summer alone I have already had 1 situation where I needed to be the brick wall for my rider who had fallen. Idling back to the rider was not an option."

I wont argue with you guys... There is a time and place for everything. A practiced boat driver will make the right call for the situation. At the Delta where the sloughs are tight you create a whole 'nother problem by power turning, then leaving 80' of rope pulled across a body of water that is only 150' wide. You have to be really careful about your actions. On plenty of occasions, with a rider in tow, have I had to kill the boat because people didn't stay in line with their downed rider.

txaggie929 06-10-2011 10:18 AM

Yeah, I've come to realize that. Told my crew that we're gonna start getting out there no later than 10-11am if we wanna board...then we can just chill the rest of the day.

Good to see Park & Wildlife out there - been stopped twice for safety checks because it's a new boat and has no TX numbers, but they've been really nice and I'm on my way in under 3 min. However, we had a boat coming straight at us not long after getting stopped. P&W promptly stopped them and were with them for a good 10 minutes or more - my guess was they got a ticket for something.

denverd1 06-10-2011 12:02 PM

sometimes the brick wall doesn't even work. rider falls, they whip around and this guy just keep coming. they put the boat in between rider and this jerk bag ass clown in a runabout. drove straight into my buddies boat last year. must have been staring at his girls **** or something. Everyone bailed except for one and they were lucky. totaled boat but everyone was ok. Really f'd situation. stay safe folks. and for pete's sake if you pull a gun it better be a real one and u better pull the f'in trigger.

olmoomba 06-10-2011 1:04 PM

Right now we have severe drought and the lakes and rivers are unrideable/unboatable. We are seeing alot more the fresh water only guys creeping in on the south side of the dam (bay fed if the lake isn't draining into it). At this point if we are not in the water and ready to go by 9am we won't get any good sets. We start around 8:30, ride till 11ish and then beach it for the rest of the day, come sunset we can usually get 4 good sets in (1per).

To many times have I had jet ski's, runabouts and fishing boats, cut in front of my bow at trolling speeds, get to close to my downed rider or even get so close to my boat that the ski sprayed us - I made my point to that clown and never saw him near us again.

If the water is all chopped up from traffic and powerturners, it is what is in our area, but I also know what signed up for there. But being a total dipshidiot does deserve repercussions. Fortunately, we have county sheriff's and game wardens both that will get your arse if you being a fool.

wakescene 06-10-2011 9:27 PM

Wow nacho, that sucks to hear. Hope everyone was ok. Boats can be replaced though...friends can't. Kudos to the driver for putting that protection up.

Cie, agreed.

quik876 06-10-2011 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murphy_smith (Post 1684142)
A paint ball gun and a confederate flag....come on really.

Yeah but sometimes Murphy, you get the "I don't give a s**t" people that think they personally own the lake and look at you like your an idiot for just tryin' to help them understand the finer points of "how not to be a jackass on the lake" by pointing out their error. Some people just don't get the point unless you slap 'em in the face with it.

but at the same time jackin' somebody via paintball gun doesn't exactly help the situation either, and callin' h20 5.0 sometimes will bring them down on you as well since they can feel the need to police (no pun intended) everyone else just tryin' to enjoy themselves properly. but hey what can ya do, it's a BIG safety concern as well as a huge downer when idiots like that cause problems.

quik876 06-10-2011 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowwwflowww (Post 1684242)
Don't g me wrong i hate power turns but if i feel my rider's life is in danger i'll do whatever it takes to draw attention to his vacinity,tight power turning puts me in their peripheral view which is usually where they can best see when coming straight for your rider due to bow rise etc...

True man so true, I've noticed that a lot lately, just too many of 'em out there with 0 knowledge of how to properly drive a boat and watch out for skiers, boardriders, as well as swimmers, and tubers. I mean, there're kids out there swimmin' around as well, no common sense (that and one too many beers on the boat methinks).

had to warn several kids a couple of weeks ago about gettin' too far out, with the water levels dropping from the drought-like weather we're havin' in N Fl, the kids're movin further out into the deeper water to swim, which means they're further out in the lanes thse knuckleheads're usin'.

I'm dreadin' the day when I might catch a local paper with an article about this poppin' up, I can just see the headline.

quik876 06-10-2011 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txaggie929 (Post 1684144)
Murphy,

I agree completely with Paul, especially where family members and friends are concerned, it all comes down to personal responsibility.

slowwwflowww 06-11-2011 6:52 AM

I feel alot of good points have been made on this thread.Bottom line,DO WHAT YOU THINK IS BEST IN YOUR PARTICULAR SITUATION!!

joe_crawley 06-11-2011 7:32 AM

I've never once seen a situation where I could get to the rider faster or safer by power turning. I've had to kill the throttle, turn around, and then throttle back to a rider, but that is easily twice as fast as a power turn and much safer.