WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archive through April 04, 2003 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=62369)
-   -   Late Model Sport and Air Nautiques (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54800)

farrell 02-21-2003 7:39 AM

I'm considering one of these boats and have a few questions. If I understand correctly, the Sport and Air are basically the same except for tower, ballast, and graphics. And the hull is the same in these two as well as in the Super Air. <BR> <BR>Can you get ~500lb sacs in both the rear trunk and the ski locker on these boats? How good is the wake with this configuration? How much more weight is needed for a really large wake? Not that I need pro sized - I'm an old guy. <BR> <BR>I seems like I've seen mostly positive comments on the Sport hulls. I'm not sure when the hull changed to it's current one (not including '03), maybe '97 or '98? Is the older hull as good or better than the newer ones? <BR> <BR>Thanks

csquared 02-21-2003 8:10 AM

The TSC hull (SuperSport/SuperAir hull) was the same from 1995-2001. I think it was used on the Sport and Air. Look for the TSC sticker near the windshield. The TSC2 hull was introduced in 2002. <BR> <BR>Both the TSC and TSC2 hulls will put out good wakes with about 1000lbs but if you want something huge, you'll need more weight.

rocketman 02-21-2003 11:33 AM

Farrell, <BR> <BR>If you're going to buy a Sport and add ballast tanks in back, you'll have to get a 1998 or newer, as that's when they added the area in back for tanks. However, from what I've generally seen with the prices of Sports that are 1998 or newer is by the time you add tanks and a tower (probably $3K for both of them) you could find a better deal by just getting a 1998 or later Air Nautique. <BR> <BR>Check out boattrader.com for some good deals across the nation or just in your area.

dholio 02-21-2003 2:04 PM

The tsc2 hull is only used on the 196, 206 and the sport. The super air has a different hull on it. If you get a super (v drive) you can put your sacks in it and have a huge wake! Where are you located? Maybe I could track one down for you?

farrell 02-21-2003 3:06 PM

Unless I find a killer deal on a SAN or Super Sport, I'll probably stick to the Air or Sport. <BR> <BR>I ride mostly behind a buddy's '01 Wakesetter DD (Sunkicker) with wedge and 500lb ballast and some behind my Malibu Skier with about 1100lbs ballast. Does anyone know how the wakes on the Air/Sport compare to a DD Wakesetter? <BR> <BR>Thanks

s4inor 02-22-2003 12:05 AM

The 196, 206 and 216 all use the TSC2 hull for '03. <BR> <BR>The Sport/Air will have a little bit smaller wake than the Wakesetter at boarding speeds, but will also perform better at slalom speeds too. <BR> <BR>If you like the wake of your buddies boat, you could always look for a '95-'01 Sunsetter. It is the same hull and would perform nearly identical to his Wakesetter. Another option is to look for a '96 or later Sunsetter VLX. It is the same hull as today's Wakesetter VLX, so performance would be great. <BR> <BR>What is your price range (if you don't mind me asking)? I'm sure we can find you a sweet boat that fits your budget.

farrell 02-23-2003 12:08 PM

I guess I was under the impression that the Sport/Air would sink a little easier with less weight than the comparable Malibu D-drive. I'd still like to know if you can get a full size sac in the trunk of the Sport/Air. <BR> <BR>My buddies wake is good when there's enough people and/or it's weighted good. He has the new wedge which makes a difference, but not as much as I would have thought. <BR> <BR>I'm not locked into getting a Nautique. It depends on what I can find. I'm wanting to stay under 30K, but could change that with the right deal.

s4inor 02-23-2003 12:24 PM

I hate to sound like I'm only pushing Malibu, but <a href="http://www.freewebs.com/vlx/index.htm" target="_blank"> here</a> is one example of a great deal. The same hull as a 2003 Wakesetter VLX with a 1600lb. auto ballast system, and it's quite a bit under your price cap. <BR> <BR>Again, that's just an example that I happen to know of, I'm sure you can find something similar on a Nautique Super Sport or Mastercraft Prostar 205V.

98air 02-24-2003 2:49 AM

I've got a '98 air and the trunk won't hold a full fat sac. I have the factory ballast system which holds 400 lbs and if I put a fat sac in the trunk and fill it as much as I can (I use the big bump sacs) the water comes over the rear seat when you stop when someone is sitting in the back. Knowing what I do now, I'd go out and buy an old sport and put a fat seat in the back and fill that sucker up. My friend has one and with the fat seat filled up the wake is perfect and very driveable, and easy to hold speed. <BR>But, to answer you questions, the ski locker will hold maybe 300 to 350 lbs and with some lead in the trunk you can get alot there too. My set up has finally settled on a fat sac up in the "basement" with some lead for about 600 or 700 lbs, and 200 pounds of lead in the trunk with the factory ballast on top of that. Depending on how many folks go with me, I might add the fat sac in the trunk for a total of 2000 lbs for an excellent wake!

vortech347 02-26-2003 7:12 AM

Not true. I have a Skylon locker sack that weighs 600lbs full and it fits with room to spare in my ski locker. I also can get a 550 sac almost full in the trunk sitting on top of the factory ballast. With no ballast showing on the floor I have about 1500lbs of weight. With 4 people the wake is very nice and the boat is easy to drive. <BR> <BR>This is on a 99 Sport Nautique.