WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archive through April 09, 2007 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=434836)
-   -   Duramax????? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=428160)

gmoney27 03-26-2007 1:30 PM

I'm looking to get a 2007 Duramax crew cab 4x4 to tow our Tigé 24V and I have a few questions..... <BR> <BR>1. What kind of gas mileage can I get towing and driveing around town? <BR> <BR>2. What mod's can be done to improve HP and mileage? <BR> <BR>3. What is the life span as far as total miles for the Duramax?

humboldtboarder 03-26-2007 2:01 PM

Are you looking at the old or new body style 2007?

siuski 03-26-2007 2:22 PM

I've also been doing research on the D/A combo... <BR> <BR>1. 18-20 around town...13-15 towing <BR> <BR>2. Chip is most effective 90-150hp increase little to no decrease in mileage if you keep your foot out of it, but anything over 90 will put the stock tranny at risk. <BR> <BR>3. 300k+, most people say the truck will fall apart before the motor does.

heem 03-26-2007 2:28 PM

Nick, <BR> <BR>While I don't have the Duramax, I have the Cummins, I think mileage should be roughly in the same ballpark. <BR> <BR>Last year I got 14.5 towing the boat on one trip but the truck was brand new. Last tank my ave was 17.5 just driving around, did have quite a bit of fwy driving on that one. <BR> <BR>Most mods center around letting the truck breath better and adjusting some of the electronics (a programmer). <BR> <BR>Banks has the complete package for just about anything you want to do to a truck. <BR> <BR>I've heard good things about the Edge programmers and performance modules. Quadzilla and Bully Dog also make good products. <BR> <BR>Longevity is directly proportionate to how well you take care of your truck. I figure that factory engineers have designed the truck stock that gives the overall best performance, cost of maintenance, longevity, safety, dependability, and economy. When you adjust one parameter something else will suffer. Also keep in mind that by tinkering around with the motor will void your warranty although in most cases the dealership has to prove the what you modified was the cause of the issue. <BR> <BR>We love our diesel and I'm sure you will love yours whether you modify it or keep it stock.

flux 03-26-2007 3:05 PM

These folks are correct, keeping your foot out of it will help your mpg's alot. <BR> <BR>Definately buy an 07 Diesel, Ford, GMC, Dodge, whatever. All their 08's will have new emissions crap on them and they will be iffy for a couple years until they work out new strategies for the engines to make them all perform properly. <BR> <BR>07's will not require Smog testing in CA. At least I don't think so, I believe the 08's will. <BR> <BR>the 08's won't have mods for a while and many of these mods will be flat out illegal with the emissions equipment because you will have to bypass it or disable it to get the mods to work. <BR> <BR>So buy the 07 and look forward to all that you can do with it. <BR> <BR>I also suggest tracking down a web forum for the Diesel truck you want to buy and researching all the mods and potential problems, although you won't have much trouble if all you ever tow is a 6k lbs of boat and some gear. <BR> <BR>You will look forward to towing UP big grades. <BR> <BR>(Message edited by Flux on March 26, 2007)

johnsvt 03-26-2007 3:18 PM

07 Duramax built as a "Classic" will not have emission equipment. 07 built as new body style will have emission equipment and slightly more power. I would be careful about mods done because of warranty issues.

mendo247 03-26-2007 3:22 PM

get a classic! i keep having to talk myself out of the new body style though, unfortunately as noted on the other ford thread i have a feeling we are going to see quite a few issues with all these emissions on diesel engines..

flux 03-26-2007 3:39 PM

I think Richard might be right!! I read alot on the Ford Powerstroke because I own one and love it and love driving it. Someone on one of the sites I visit suggested that these new engines are a whole new era in Diesel Pickups, which may not be a great thing for the driver, but maybe good for pollution. <BR> <BR>If you are really picky, I would say do some more research on the EXACT model you are looking at. The new Ford motor has not mods yet, and Ford is taking a hard stance on mods for them. I don't know about the GMC and Dodge products, but I bet they take a similar stance and the emissions equipment presents mod problems for sure and I doubt there is anything available. <BR> <BR>If you are completely intent on tuning the truck, stick with the older motor package that has tried and true tunes for them. Otherwise, you may be asking for trouble.

johnsvt 03-26-2007 4:04 PM

GM has a 5yr/100k mile powertrain warranty and no matter how good you build a product it will cost GM some money to warrant these vehicles. Bring your truck in with a programmer hanging on the dash, pyrometer in the exhaust, or wastegate messed around with and they are going to frown/possibly not warrant a trans or motor issue. GM feels 360hp/650tq is more than enough, but an aftermarket exhaust or cold air intake should be acceptable.

swab791 03-26-2007 4:35 PM

I'm looking to get a 2007 Duramax crew cab 4x4 to tow our Tigé 24V and I have a few questions..... <BR> <BR>1. What kind of gas mileage can I get towing and driveing around town? 12-14 around town <BR>14-16 towing 18MPG 70MPH <BR> <BR>2. What mod's can be done to improve HP and mileage? I put in a stainless Bully Dog exhaust <BR>removed the CAT. More power and very fast <BR> <BR>3. What is the life span as far as total miles for the Duramax? 6 year 100K warranty on drive train AWESOME PACKAGE. I think the DODGE with the Cummins is un comforatble and the FORD Powerstroke...I am sure you have heard ALL the stories, most are true unfortunatly. <BR> <BR>I have seen stripped 07 on lots for LOST LEADER specials at $32K $40-$42 K is more likely <BR> <BR>Good Luck...Great Truck I have almost 60K on in 04

cdl 03-26-2007 4:55 PM

great trucks - I have a 02 with 90,000 on it. Has plenty of power with out chip. Mine is a crew cab with 8ft bed . Long truck but I don't leave in the city so it's not to bad.

phall925 03-27-2007 7:44 AM

I have an 05 crew with 6' bed. I love it 45,000 and just got broken in. There is alot of power in the truck but if you want extreme power get the Big Hoss Bungle with the power PDA. You can check it out at <a href="http://www.bankspower.com/" target="_blank">http://www.bankspower.com/</a> these things are amazing. I do not have one but I have driven trucks with these things and they put out hella power. I have seen some trucks some tires through 3rd gear with this thing <BR> <BR>Ohh and when I pull my boat just in a stock truck up and down hills with it on 70 cruize never lose mph up hill and the tranny will slow you down to make sure you dont go over 70 comming down. These trucks rock

duramaxer 04-02-2007 9:44 PM

You will love your Dmax if you decide that is what you want to get. No better pulling machine that this imo. I have an 04 with about 70 on it now and I am running 100 hp chip with intake and 4" exhaust. No trouble with it empty or towing the boat. It will haul in more that one way down the highway and hold you back nicely on the down hills with the grade braking in the allison. No more than 100 extra hp should keep the truck happy and safe but just make sure that you return it to stock before the dealer is looking at it is all. I am running bully dog in my truck but I have buddys running other stuff and it all seems to be ok. EFI live is another way to go as well with a GM vehicle. <BR>Good luck with your choice. <BR>Any other questions let me know.

duramaxer 04-02-2007 9:46 PM

Oops sorry I am getting about 18-22 empty and about 16-18 towing the boat which is a Centurion. Running the chip without it drops about 2mpg or so.

nickypoo 04-03-2007 11:39 AM

I have an 04 D-Max/Allison with over 65k on it. No mods. Zero issues. I'll never go back to gas.

tlb 04-03-2007 1:59 PM

I have an '05 Duramax and have had no issues at all. <BR>I use it for my business and haul ALOT of weight with it. I think it just passed 50,000 miles, and it just now feels broken in. <BR>I would not hesitate to buy another one. <BR>BTW, if you "chip or tune" the vehicle they will know even if you try to reverse it when it's brought in for service. The truck has plenty of hp stock to tow or haul anything. If you want something fast, buy a 'vett. haha

michael_h 04-04-2007 10:31 AM

ON my ranch I have an o2 gm d-max with 250,ooo mi, 03 d-max 180,000, &amp; an 05 d-max with 125,ooo miles on it &amp; the best trucks we have ever owned &amp; they get about 14-16 mpg on the ranch &amp; 17 &amp;20 hwy depending on conditions.

auto 04-04-2007 11:46 AM

If you are going to chip it or program wait till after warranty is up or your ass pocket can afford any warranty claim denied. <BR> <BR>If you think this is a joke search the diesel forums, truck dealers and MFG's are getting very tight on this issue. <BR> <BR>If you want the best engineered diesel performance out there, there is only one choice, Banks.

266crownlinebr 04-07-2007 7:54 PM

dieselplace.com

twowakes 04-08-2007 6:45 PM

I just traded my 01 dmax that had 180000 miles on it to a dodge mega cab.I got 20 mpg on average pulling and all. Get a edge attitude, it will moniter your egt boost and other important info that you need to know when you up the power.