WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archive through September 23, 2004 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=192984)
-   -   Strained Knee Ligaments (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187882)

iewc_vp 08-27-2004 10:48 AM

Does anybody know how long it should take for all the ligaments on both sides of your knee to heal? It has been over a month and still not feeling good. Should I just start riding and let them tear or keep rehabing. Is a strain worse then a tear? I mean this from the stand point that a tear can be fixed with surgery but a strain is only time. Any thoughts? <BR>

dbogart 08-27-2004 1:48 PM

well tj a tear is definetly worse then a strain. knee surgery is no easy time (i see patients who had it all the time). count your blessings, be patient and let em heal....

rypayne 08-27-2004 10:02 PM

Did you go to the doctor? I just went in for an MRI on monday. If yours is just a sprain, you're lucky and let is heal.

xtremebordgurl 08-28-2004 8:24 AM

yea, def let it heal, knee surgery is no fun at all, its like the most escrutiating pain I've ever experienced and it was non-stop for about 3 weeks and its put me out of riding for a year, I'm STILL rehabing and doing strength conditioning stuff and I'm not supposed to ride until Jan. Just be patient, let it heal and once its healed do lots of strength conditioning and stuff so you don't ever hurt it in the future, or you reduce your risk anyway

iewc_vp 08-28-2004 11:12 AM

Thanks for the advise, now does anyone know why I have a ball on the backside of my knee? It protrudes about 1.5-2cm farther out then the otherside. What is the likelihood(sp?) that my doc does not know what the hell he is talking about?

phantom5815 08-28-2004 11:54 AM

The odds are in your favor if you go to an experienced Sports Med Orthopedic Surgeon. <BR>If you go to an Internal Med/Family Practice MD who doesn't have a very good sports medicine back ground, your odds of getting screwed with the Dx are great. <BR>Even greater if you have Kaiser for your insurance. <BR>That's soft tissue swelling behind your knee and it could mean many things, like swelling within the joint capsule...... <BR>FYI a plain XRay is a poor radiological choice for examining soft tissue but it may reveal a fracture it there is one. <BR> <BR>(Message edited by phantom5815 on August 28, 2004)

iewc_vp 08-28-2004 3:52 PM

Why yes I DO have Kaiser! They are not to quick to throw out the MRI so I am trying to get other peoples opinions first. <BR> <BR>Tim

phantom5815 08-28-2004 4:42 PM

TJ- Getting everyone's opinion about your knee will not change the way Kaiser chooses to treat your injury. The only way you can get things done in that Organization is one of the following : <BR>A - have a great relationship with one of the PCPs <BR>B -play along with their treatment plan ( the worse option, which may have you sitting on your injury for several months) <BR>C- Call everyday, be a nuisance &amp; complain to membership services so you get treated in a timely fashion. <BR> <BR>Also if you haven't started yet, get in to Physical therapy ASAP..... you may also need to use the "ABC" plan to get that accomplished as well. <BR>Good Luck. <BR> <BR>(Message edited by phantom5815 on August 28, 2004)