WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archive through March 15, 2006 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=309006)
-   -   Malibu Cruise Control (ETC) (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=286627)

noel 02-22-2006 9:38 PM

Does anyone have experience with Malibu's new built-in speed control? I just ordered a 2006 VLX and didn't get Perfect Pass. I haven't seen anyone talking about the new speed control that is part of the engine management system. Just want to hear any first hand information.

iagainsti 02-23-2006 8:25 AM

Noel - I test drove a 06 VLX 3 weeks ago it had the Hammerhead upgrade -no perfect pass, just the standard cruise. It worked beautiful ! We were doing 35mph power turns with it enabled and the speed never faltered more then 1-2 mph. Very steady, more so then any PP Ive ever used. I ordered my VLX 2 weeks ago without PP.

sound_illusions 02-23-2006 8:45 AM

I also test drove a VLX with the Malibu Speed Control, and it worked great. I think it works alot better then Perfect Pass and the new throttle design is bad ass, it is so smooth. If you go back to the Perfect Pass you no longer get the throttle by wire, you go back to the standard push-pull throttle cables.

festivus 02-23-2006 11:03 AM

Tested the 247 with the Malibu Precision Speed Control. It was flawless- varied less than 1 mph @ wb speeds through turns and through chop. Also very easy to use, set, and you can change the set speed on the fly. I didn't do PP, just the std. MPSC

buguru 02-23-2006 3:36 PM

The new Cruise on the malibu's is by far the best out on the market. It can be used either by speed or rpm. The other cruises used by other manufactures is not even close to the Malibu's..

dizzyg 02-23-2006 4:00 PM

I have an '06 vlx with the malibu speed control, used it for a month or two before the lake froze, it works great! Better than the boats with pp I've been behind. <BR>

noel 02-23-2006 8:53 PM

Thanks for all the feedback. We didn't test drive the boat first, just ordered it. It has the Hammerhead and we did not order the PP. The new throttle by wire is very nice. The boat is scheduled for gelcoat on the 2nd. I can't wait to get it.

joe1975 02-23-2006 10:55 PM

I have a few questions... <BR> <BR>Do you have to maintain the throttle position for the cruise to function properly? I heard that you have to keep the RPM in a certain range or the cruise drops off? Anyone experienced this before?

jarrod 02-23-2006 11:52 PM

"The other cruises used by other manufactures is not even close to the Malibu's.." <BR> <BR>How is the Malibu system better Rocky? <BR> <BR>

mbrown 02-24-2006 12:40 AM

You don't have to maintain throttle position, but to maintain that small 2/10ths of a mile/hour precision after the cruise control beeps you apply a bit more throttle to give the cruise control the fuel delivery range to maintain speed in radically varying conditions such as tight delta turns and DUPS. It is a very accurate and easy to use cruise control. IMO better than PP. It has large easy to read displays, ability to activate during a pull or de-activate(in case you forgot before throttle was engaged), easy to use controls and menus, more accurate at wakeboard speeds even with really hard pulls. <BR> <BR>Draw backs are no ability to set personalized speeds with names. No software additions for magnetic course timing (if you're a skier).

dizzyg 02-24-2006 7:29 AM

I'd call the display/way it works a sliding window. <BR>Basically you get a horizontal bar on the display right in front of the steering wheel. There's a gap in the bar that kind of shows you the range you're allowing the engine to speed/slow to. Then, there's a little square block that moves back and forth in the space in the horizontal bar. If you see the little block getting too close to the higher side, you just bump up the throttle. Although, once you're up to speed, the only time I really have had to adjust is in a turn if I turn a little too tight. A typical circle and back down your own path doesn't require any adjustments. <BR> <BR>I do wish it had presets, but changing speeds is pretty simple, up and down buttons to adjust rpms or mph. It's pretty slick and holds really steady!

trace 02-24-2006 7:47 AM

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1><b>quote:</b></font><p>The new Cruise on the malibu's is by far the best out on the market. It can be used either by speed or rpm. The other cruises used by other manufactures is not even close to the Malibu's..<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote> <BR> <BR>spoken like a true boat salesman.

mbrown 02-24-2006 12:03 PM

I don't know about "by far" and "not even close". <BR>It's better IMO in some areas as stated above. PP still delivers a good pull.

buguru 02-25-2006 2:35 PM

Malibu Cruise: <BR>Ability to increase throttle for double up. <BR>Ability to over throttle once engaged <BR>Audible beep to confirm engagement <BR>Extremely crisp pull,little speed swing <BR>Fast "lock-in" once boat reaches speed <BR>Always display set speed and actual speed <BR>Returns to same screen when key turned on <BR>Dedicated gauge with full screen <BR>World Wakeboard Championship Tested.. <BR> <BR>Standard Cruise <BR>NO to all of the above.. <BR> <BR> <BR>This is why and how the Std cruise on a Malibu is better..}

jcv 02-25-2006 3:07 PM

um, have you ever used perfect pass? pp does all of those. i doubt many people could tell the difference between the two, but malibu was tired of a third party making all the cruise control money, hence the malibu cruise...which works perfect, just like perfect pass. no need to spread falsehoods, especially when you represent malibu

buguru 02-25-2006 3:27 PM

Jcv, I am not talking about the standard cruise by "p/p" I am talking about the other manuf. standard cruise. Dont get me wrong I love P/P and use it in all my boats. So about spreading Falsehoods? not my style..

jcv 02-25-2006 3:29 PM

isn't mc the only other manufacturer that has their own system, or does supra have one now as well?

buguru 02-25-2006 3:44 PM

Supra has one as well. I think Tige' is looking into using one also.

mjmurphy53711 02-25-2006 4:13 PM

i can only assume cruise control will become standard for all boat makers in years to come, perfect pass pretty much pulled a microsoft by stopping the innovation and becoming comfortable with domination.

iagainsti 02-25-2006 4:32 PM

Mike-The new cruise system is all do to the "drive by wire" throttle bodies on newer engines. Its computer controlled instead of cable actuated and is thus more precise. I dont think PP could have done anything to counter this technology. Yes its bad for PP but good for any new boat buyer.

gmarkham1 02-25-2006 6:26 PM

Supra's is rpm based.... I hope PP was worth the upgrade

rar88 02-25-2006 11:50 PM

I have driven a 247 that had one at a demo day. It was great. I have had 3 perfect passes and they have done the job, for some reason my PP's always varied a couple of miles per hour faster or slower, and rarely actually stayed at the speed I set it too. It may just be my units, although I have owned a couple of boats with it, and both did the same thing. In my Opinion after you have cruise control, you always have to have it. PP is fine if that is what you ordered, but from what I saw on the demo the Malibu unit was really easy to use, and targeted the speed well, of course no one was behind the boat when I drove it at the demo day, so I don' t know if that would change the performance.