WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakesurfing (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87668)
-   -   Skimmers (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=781150)

wakemitch 06-29-2010 9:11 PM

Skimmers

Where are all the skim style wakesurfs at? On this forum it seems everyone is surf style. I know there has got to be more skim riders out there. I tried riding surf but it just feels unnatural and wrong. haha

ilikebeaverandboats 06-29-2010 9:24 PM

My old man is going to skim surfer route. But i agree with you, not many on here.

ragboy 06-29-2010 11:08 PM

Take a couple midol, maybe that will help. ;-)

ilikebeaverandboats 06-30-2010 12:06 AM

haha i think menstruating is a pretty natural thing lol, not "unnatural and wrong" so idk if a midol will help mitch out that much!!

ragboy 06-30-2010 1:44 AM

Yeah, but I hear when you are taking on water, all that bloating, spins and shuvits can really make you queezy.

lol, this may get me in trouble. ;-)

ndh2o 06-30-2010 5:09 AM

I ride skim, IS BP Yellow, but I rock the tri-fin setup.

Chuch 06-30-2010 5:41 AM

Skimmer...Phase 5 boards on my boat.

caskimmer 06-30-2010 6:34 AM

Quote:

Reply Quick Reply
Yeah, but I hear when you are taking on water, all that bloating, spins and shuvits can really make you queezy.
Don't hate just because you lack the skill to do any of those tricks.

More people ride surfstyle because it's easier.

wakemitch 06-30-2010 8:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caskimmer (Post 1603234)
Don't hate just because you lack the skill to do any of those tricks.

More people ride surfstyle because it's easier.

i actually think its much easier to do tricks on a skim. i tried a handful of different surfs and just couldnt get the hang of it. but it also could just be my personal style.

i was going back and forth trying skim and surf but now with the Calibrated im hooked on skim.

ragboy 06-30-2010 9:25 AM

Don't get touchy, I was just messing around with mitch. RJ is locked on Surf, but he enjoyed wakeskating with you. Whitney has asked me to get a skim board on the boat, something I need to do.

ilikebeaverandboats 06-30-2010 9:29 AM

Mitch howd you get that calibrated board? Id love to get my hands on one, but they are ridiculous to get.

Comes down to personal preference. I like the feeling of carving, but skim is fun too.

wakemitch 06-30-2010 10:53 AM

Joey, the shop I work at carries Calibrated boards. Also the boards are only made 45 minutes from my house.

tonyv420 06-30-2010 11:36 AM

Everyone needs to learn to ride both, IMO

wofrankwo 06-30-2010 1:46 PM

chris really enjoys riding the skim ...... i think the last time we went out with mitch he rode the calibrated board more then he surfed ..... i agree on learning both cant see where it couldnt do anything but good

wakemitch 06-30-2010 2:01 PM

Frank, I dont know if i can let Chris get on my skim anymore. He is getting too good too quick.

alans 06-30-2010 2:09 PM

Skimmer here, so many more things to do. I don't get surf style boards. Unless there is a skill, body weight, or boat wake size issue, then I can understand.

malibu 07-03-2010 7:44 AM

I ride a skim - Phase Five Prop. I like the loose feel of the board on my Sanger V210 wake. Surf style feels like I am locked in and I can't play around on the wave as much. I really think for me it depends on the boat I am behind. When I ride a bigger wave than mine, I still like a skim but with a little bigger fin on it. I rode a Triple X skim board behind an Avalanche and really liked it. We were riding at 13mph compared to 11mph on my boat.

wakemitch 07-03-2010 5:48 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Sooo pumped on my new board!

gunz 07-04-2010 12:46 PM

Never ridden one......probably jus embarrass myself.

*waits for invite*

hawaj 07-04-2010 7:12 PM

skimming is fun

brewkettle 07-05-2010 3:42 AM

Dont see a updated Calibrated site??

ilikebeaverandboats 07-05-2010 5:51 PM

Yea, the site has been down for awhile. Mitch has the hookup tho!

I think next season I might make the jump for one. Already got a shredstixx elevation this season, cant afford anymore boards haha.

wakemitch 07-06-2010 8:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikebeaverandboats (Post 1604823)
Yea, the site has been down for awhile. Mitch has the hookup tho!

I think next season I might make the jump for one. Already got a shredstixx elevation this season, cant afford anymore boards haha.

I dont have a hook up. I just met Mike at the Wake9 Wakesurf Festival and was really interested in getting his boards in the shop. Im not sure what his plans are for the website but i know he is busy working on boards again. He is trying to get them in more shops. Ask your local shop to carry their boards. Same with other companies too. Shops wont carry small rider owned companies if people dont ask.

ilikebeaverandboats 07-06-2010 9:03 AM

haha my local shops... consist of dealers and what they decide they wanna keep around, or skipro and they have a really small selection as far as watersports go. AZ doesnt have a big community for watersports, not like other places atleast.

wakemitch 07-06-2010 11:58 AM

Joey, dealers will stock stuff if they can sell it. like when you ordered your shred stixx you could have went to that dealer and said you wanted to order the board through them. it would have been the same price and then it would have given them the hint that they should stock them because they will sell. a lot of small shops think people only surf with hyperlite broadcasts and cwb rides because thats all people ask to buy. the guys buying the real boards just go straight online and never go in to the shops. if the shops knew those guys existed and that those guys would go to the shop they would have them.

ilikebeaverandboats 07-06-2010 12:03 PM

good point man. I just cant see my locals really stocking the good stuff because of prices. but hey, its worth a try. next time i buy i will go in and ask them

wakemitch 07-06-2010 12:26 PM

since we started stocking real boards we sell them 5 to 1 wakeboard brand board. people know the difference. but we also have invested a lot into a demo program.
i really want to see more shops carrying the good stuff. i love seeing stuff in person. especially when its that much.

ilikebeaverandboats 07-06-2010 12:39 PM

Yea I would agree with that. Its hard to justify spending big change on a board you cant hold or demo. Where are you located?

Im in AZ and there isnt much of a surf community here. Lots of guys starting to get into it, which is cool, so it should start picking up. but only 2 other boats I see on my reg lake that freesurf and have a quality wave.

wakemitch 07-06-2010 1:35 PM

Joey, I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area.

I just want to see more small board companies grow and get in shops

ilikebeaverandboats 07-06-2010 1:58 PM

wow, there arent many lakes in that area huh? Where do you normally ride?

I got a buddy who lives about 40 min from san fran and he doesnt know of any lakes around.

wakemitch 07-06-2010 2:28 PM

i sent you a PM. i hijacked my own thread

ilikebeaverandboats 07-06-2010 3:11 PM

hahaha you hijacker!

boarditup 07-07-2010 8:22 AM

We have the Phase 5 boards. If you want t to demo one in MI, drop me an e-mail at info@placidwaters.com. Not a dealer, but do have a factory connection. After riding both, we prefer the skim style - much more manuverable and you can still do all of the same things as on a old-school board.

rlsv211 07-13-2010 8:58 AM

I never thought I could ride a skim style board. I have demoed a lot of board trying to find something for a guy at 250 pounds. If you would have told me I could ride a board 57 inches and less than an inch thick I would have told you I was crazy. Yesterday we demoed a couple of Calibrated boards and the 57 inch board was very easy to ride. I was shocked. I currently ride a IS Swallow and it has been fun but I am now trying to figure out how to sneak a new board in the boat so my wife does not know. I might join Mitch in his skimmer life.

sailing216 07-15-2010 10:26 AM

I skim 75% of the time on a Drew P5. I sometimes change up to surfstyle TWP JWSM. Completely different and kinda messes you up for a minute or 2 until you go from sliding to shredding. Landing more surface tricks on the P5 helps me think I'm a skimmer. I love trying new boards.

wakemitch 07-15-2010 8:34 PM

Roger, did you meet up with Mike?

radikal 07-16-2010 8:51 AM

thos calibrated are interesting i want to stay in skim board but at 285 its not that easy i was looking at the P5 Razz ( 56'' ) maybe but i was not sure... maybe the calibrated 57 should be the good option then. Or the Drew XL or XXL.