WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   Tach randomly stops working (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=788885)

nitrousbird 07-14-2011 7:46 PM

Tach randomly stops working

Just got her a month ago, 01 Malibu Sunsetter VLX LS1.

Randomly, the tach will just not register (will sit @ 0 RPM). Sometimes shutting the boat off and restarting it will get it working, other times it will decide to work later in the day (but only after shutting it off and restarting).

Tonight for the first time it actually stuck at an RPM while underway (2800 RPM), and didn't even reset after a quick shut off and power back on. At that time we tried, the temp/gas/oil pressure/voltage gauges all stuck @ 0 as well. I didn't power cycle it again until I got home, at which time the tach reset itself to 0 and the other gauges started working.

Boat has the electric gauges (all buzz when you first turn the key). Never impacts the speedo, nor the side gauges that show hours/water & air temp/time, or the depth gauge.

Any ideas? Not a big issue yet, but kind of annoying.

yooper 07-14-2011 8:03 PM

Ha! I usually fix mine by switching the Nav lights on and back off. That usually wakes my gauges up (but not always).

You're right.... It IS frustrating.

jbird 07-14-2011 8:31 PM

I'm no help on this one, but I just replaced my tach because the led hour meter was'nt showing, and replaced the cluster gauge because the oil pressure was'nt working. The new tach has been sticking as you said around 3200 rpm, re-starting the boat usually resets it! It's less than a month old so I'm having it replaced!

lukus 07-15-2011 8:25 AM

I'm no help either but I have a '99 Sunsetter and my tach has been stuck for the last 2 years (minus a random 2 week period last winter when it worked). All other gauges have worked fine until recently. My temp gauge has now started doing this weird thing where it gets stuck at the running temp when you turn the boat off, then when you turn the boat on it moves the distance from the stuck position to where the running temp would be if it had started at zero (so 160, OFF, stuck at 160, ON, 160 to 320 ish). When I cut all power it'll reset.

Kind of annoying....but the speedo works so fixing it hasn't been at the top of my list. I would love to hear the solution if you figure it out!

nitrousbird 07-18-2011 2:56 AM

I used the boat all weekend and the tach never gave a lick of trouble, oddly enough.

The hour meter has never worked on it. When I test drove it, the hour meter was blank (but the digital clock/sea and air temp meter also has an hour meter, which shows correctly). The hour meter on it now shows like 2228.2 on it (or something like that and doesn't seem to change), though the boat really has 341 hours according to the other gauge.

From some additional research online, it looks like this issue usually is the gauge itself crapping out. I plan on installing a Perfect Pass Stargazer setup in her this winter, so I'll just replace the tach with that unit and be done with it. :)