WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Non-Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4387)
-   -   Workout Crash (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=800460)

eubanks01 11-14-2013 1:05 PM

Workout Crash

So today I had a major crash while working out and I wanted to see if anybody had thoughts on the cause. I recently started back and have been focusing on weight loss with some lean muscle growth so I'm doing mostly cardio while lifting a few times a week as well. I'm in a very limited gym so it's just body weight and dumbbell exercises.

Well, today I tried to mix in some cardio acceleration between my weight sets. Nothing too major...just stay moving for 60 seconds between sets with no rest. Well, after my 5th station I crashed hard. I had major dizziness, tingling, nausea....you name it. It sucked. I've had this before if I've lifted super heavy legs but not just doing cardio with some light lifting. Anybody experience this before themselves?

I've started to wonder if this is all fuel (or lack thereof) related. My daily diet routine normally follows this schedule:

7:00 - Banana and yogurt
10:00 - Granola bar
11:00 - Pre-workout supplement
11:30 - Workout
12:30 - Lunch

I would love if you guys had thoughts on if this is diet related, and if so, how much and when I should be eating before a workout. Thanks.

ottog1979 11-14-2013 1:39 PM

Almost certainly diet/fuel related. What you had for dinner the night before is also a factor. You might throw a little protein in that breakfast. You've burned up those carbs just about the time your body will need more for the workout. "Pre-workout supplement"?

eubanks01 11-14-2013 2:10 PM

Thanks Andy. I have started taking a scoop of the ON Whey protein around 10am, but I'm thinking I need a lot more in my system before I work out. Unfortunately lunch time is the only time that works and I don't want to eat a big meal right before I hit it.

colorider 11-14-2013 2:21 PM

How much sugar in the granola bar,yogurt and supplement ?

eubanks01 11-14-2013 2:35 PM

Drinkable Yogurt - 23g
Granola Bar - 12g
Supplement - 0g

WheelerWake 11-14-2013 2:44 PM

I had a similar type episode when I started to try to lose weight. What fixed it for me was not to start exercising and reduced calories at the same time. I first built up my stamina over a month or two (with modest calorie reduction), then cut way back on calories.

fly135 11-14-2013 3:21 PM

Why not eat a large breakfast first thing in the morning. I eat enough at breakfast to last me until the evening dinner. Mostly eat twice a day.

ottog1979 11-14-2013 4:13 PM

The problem is that all of that sugar comes HOURS before your workout. You're crashing, whether you know it or not, even before the workout begins. The supplement has zero so it's not helping.

I always have something to eat prior to a workout, usually 30-60 minutes prior. Typically, it's an apple, banana, or bread, roll or power bar (prior to my current paleo diet). This will serve as blood sugar to fuel your workout and prevent crash. While many people insist that they can't eat before exercising, you can easily train your body to work out with something in your stomach. Just start with a little and work up to a slightly larger portion over several weeks. I try to get 200-300 calories in about an hour before the workout (in my case typically runs or bike rides).

augie_09 11-14-2013 6:39 PM

i vote more conditioning than diet.

I will typically eat dinner (paleo) around 6 with little to no snacks afterward, sleep all night, then do cross fit at 5:30 am for an hour. On the conditioning interval days that are all go go go can be done on an empty stomach without the crashing. Granted I crashed a few times when I first started this routine, but haven't since. And when I started I was used to running 6-12 miles most morning. It was mixing cardio and heavy lifting that my body didn't like at first.

behindtheboat 11-14-2013 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fly135 (Post 1852927)
Why not eat a large breakfast first thing in the morning. I eat enough at breakfast to last me until the evening dinner. Mostly eat twice a day.

Everyone is completely different, and unknowingly I'm going to go with that works best for you at your age and metabolism. I hardly eat more than a banana for breakfast, and normally eat 3-4 smaller meals after throughout the day and into the evening. Everyone is different, and it's something you usually have to figure out yourself

fly135 11-15-2013 7:59 AM

True, but if he's running out of energy at noon maybe a bigger breakfast would help. I start my day with probably around 150g of carbs.

spencercoon 11-15-2013 8:47 AM

This might be a dumb suggestion but do you concentrate on proper breathing? I have found that at times during a strenuous set it's easy to forget to breathe and I've come out of it with similar symptoms (dizziness, nausea etc.)

eubanks01 11-15-2013 9:16 AM

Thanks for the thoughts everyone.

Spencer - Not a dumb question at all as I've heard the same thing. This might have been an issue for me before when doing heavy lifting, but I'm just doing lighter weights and bodyweight exercises. And I really do concentrate on my breathing as well.

I'm beginning to think it's really a fuel related thing. I'm just not getting in enough calories before I work out. I think either a bigger breakfast, or maybe more importantly, a small meal around 10-10:30 would go a long way in helping me.

These crashes are miserable and leave me pretty much useless for at least a couple of hours afterwards. Hopefully I can figure out a resolution so it doesn't happen again. I hate to think I can no longer push it hard in workouts for fear of these crashes anymore.

davedidonato90 11-15-2013 9:35 AM

weight training + high intensity intervals w/ little to no rest = problem. Leave the HIIT to days when you don't hit the weights so you can get the best out of your lift. Also, if you are trying to lose weight, increase your proteins and fats and decrease the carbs. Only eat like brown rice, brown rice pasta, or quinoa before and after your workout. Take out the granola bar too, too much sugar.

ottog1979 11-15-2013 9:51 AM

Eubanks, now you know what they mean by hitting the wall (as used in marathon running). One thing that can help is some sugar during your exercise (Gatorade). Just prior and during exercise is one of the times when simple sugars are best used (the rest of the time not so much). A little goes a long way so don't be gulping multiple 20oz bottles. During the workout, if you feel yourself starting to crash, 6-10 oz of Gatorade will correct that within 5-10 minutes.

fly135 11-15-2013 10:28 AM

If you guys are using corn syrup for energy I'm not surprised it's burnt out in a couple hours and doesn't last.

ralph 11-17-2013 5:20 PM

What is the pre work out supplement?

simplej 11-17-2013 7:51 PM

definitely don't take a pre-workout if you're doing any type of HIIT or anything like that. I'm trying to dodge ACL surgery so I've been trying plyo and hiit and after a scoop of assault and a hard lift i can't take it, my heart feels like its going to blow up. also HIIIT and hard lifting shouldn't go on the same day.

I'm trying to gain muscle and then passively lose my beer gut through muscle gain that burns cals (cardio is tougher for me now, see above, don't wanna run too far and not get back home etc) that so my diet is based on building at the moment but the basic principles remain the same. I typically eat a PB sandwich(on the run after work) or a cup of banana yogurt mixed with PB and granola with a scoop of pre workout on days that I lift usually 1 hour prior. this gives me blast of fat, carbs, and proteins that i need to make it thru a 2-3 hour lift. i forgot one day after work and i completely fell off. no worse a feeling than lifting and not being able to lift because you ran out of ATP not because you pushed your muscles to the limit, or booting your guts out because you faced pre workout and did cardio...

i would develop a split. go hard and lift like an athlete, compound exercises etc 3 days a week, HIIT hard 3 days a week. when i was in good shape thats what i would do.

posting your goals weight, supplement stacks, and routines would all be helpful as well

acurtis_ttu 11-18-2013 6:15 AM

I usually carry a few packets of honey wiht me in my gym bag( like the ones you can get from starbucks) . Quick energy. You'll feel it in a matter of minutes. I hate the taste fo honey...but it works.

jarrod 11-18-2013 9:04 AM

You're not eating enough.

Your body is tearing through those carbs, and they're long gone by the time you work out.

Although carbs is what your body wants during workout, you need some proteins or fats (or both) They will keep you satisfied longer and have more of a timed release of energy. I'd try to get some proteins/fats early in the morning, and use that sugar closer to your workout.

and IMHO....supplements are worthless chemicals created in labs and misrepresented. I'm replace that with whole, organic food. Eat a hard bolied egg and another piece of fruit. Something low Glycemic, such as an apple or a pear.

magic 11-18-2013 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrod (Post 1853222)
You're not eating enough.

Your body is tearing through those carbs, and they're long gone by the time you work out.

Although carbs is what your body wants during workout, you need some proteins or fats (or both) They will keep you satisfied longer and have more of a timed release of energy. I'd try to get some proteins/fats early in the morning, and use that sugar closer to your workout.

and IMHO....supplements are worthless chemicals created in labs and misrepresented. I'm replace that with whole, organic food. Eat a hard bolied egg and another piece of fruit. Something low Glycemic, such as an apple or a pear.

I've been lurking this thread, Jarrod is spot on.

Junk carbs are junk. Eat whole foods and your body will respond. If you ever talk to a person in the gym that has bulk and is ripped, they'll give you the clean diet talk. Banana + Yogurt + Granola bar are all simple carbs. You are setting your self up for a blood sugar crash every time.

Some things that work for me when trying to put muscle on and lean out:
Limit meals to ~750 cals (no more than 750 over two hours), any more than that and you are putting in more than your body can process. It will start to store the extra as fat, and if you are eating sugar/simple carbs you are helping your body to store fat when you over eat.
Complex carbs, my body really like beans and veggies.
Protein, get in quality protein (not processed, not lunch meats, not Subway...)
Fat, forget about it. If you are not eating crap carbs and junk protein no need to worry about fat, there won't be much in your diet.
Once or twice a week, light dinner, get up and do 1 to 2 hours moderate cardio. This will deplete your blood sugar and force your body to learn to burn fat for energy. Trick here is to really watch what you eat afterward, easy to want to load up on crap afterwards. I do this when training for endurance events and get my cardio around the same HR as my target for the race, so I'm training my body to work in a carb depleted state as the norm.

If you want/need some junk food. Do that within 30 mins of about an hour of cardio, so when I want a Pop Tart or what ever, I do an hour of cardio and then have the treat, but I'll switch back to whole foods afterwards.

Couple years back I had some injuries and let my body fat grow over 10% Decided to try my own advice, over 12 weeks with very little cardio, 3 x weeks full body weights like kettle bell swings, and hard hard hard core diet. I dropped over 30% of my body fat in that 12 weeks and put 3 lbs muscle on. I'm gonna say diet is 80+ % of things.