WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   HID Kits? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=791897)

magic 02-18-2012 9:08 PM

HID Kits?

Anyone have experience with aftermarket HID conversion kits?

I"m thinking of a 55w one for his and her's cars. Both our rides have conventional lights, and our old '06 Audi S4 had bi- xenon lights (that moved) which where so much better. I'd stick around 4500K bulbs, just curious about non-biased feedback for things like RF nose, failures, not worth the money...

spoonman 02-18-2012 9:15 PM

chinese kits seem to be hit and miss bottom line you get what you pay for

nitrousbird 02-19-2012 5:26 AM

Both the kit and the headlight housing makes a difference. I have 5k's in my 02 Avalanche, both in the headlight and fog lights. If you don't realign your headlight you will blind oncoming traffic. If projector beam housings are avaiable for your vehicle, it would be that much better to upgrade to that - or upgrade to a full OEM setup if available.

The Chinese HID's are truly hit and miss. The ballasts on my headlamps don't like to fire 100% of the time, especially on startup with the automatic headlights. A quick flick of the high beams fixes that, which is why I haven't done anything more drastic to correct the issue.

02-19-2012 6:49 AM

I installed a pair of 8000k HID on my R1. Flawless, never had an issue and lit up the roads great, never have to use my brights even on dark country roads.

magic 02-19-2012 7:35 AM

thanks guys. There is a local small biz that does a lot with kits. Figure I'd buy from them.

Wife's ride does have upgraded projectors as an OEM option. Will see if I can source a set and try the in place HID route in the mean time. We buy our cars used, her's is an '10 VW we got last year. Buying newer used cars is great $$$ wise, but you give on some options.

The lights on my CBR are rubish too. A nice 35w kit might be in order on the bike.

jaegermaster 02-19-2012 8:42 AM

Sean, you might check these guys out too. http://www.retrosolutionsllc.com/servlet/StoreFront

I know a lot of Dodge guys do HID swaps from them. I haven't gone to HID's on the truck yet. I did swap out to Daystar bulbs and having 2 100W halogens behind the grill really helps spot those pesky Deer that like to jump out in front of me.

pprior 02-19-2012 9:54 AM

HID swaps into a factory lens usually will look like crap and blind everyone. Please don't do it. Get projector lenses if you're going to do it!

02-19-2012 10:01 AM

Yes I 2nd projectors..wouldnt have done it if I didnt have projectors

magic 02-19-2012 8:03 PM

Think this: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=237

Complete kit with projectors and HID ballast, bulbs and wires. Uses the stock lens and with my ride it seems like an easy enough project. Will ping them tomorrow to confirm which kit and options. Will do my ride first and see how things work.

skuhleman 02-20-2012 6:55 AM

Hey, I bought mine from www.vvme.com yes they are from china, but I got 55w 5500k low beams and fog lights shipped for 130 buck for my 00 gmc sierra. I have had them for 2 years with no problems what so ever. They are plug and play so installation is extremely simple and here in texas almost everyone I drive past with HID's mine seem to be brighter. I have a couple other buddies who have bought from them as well and theirs are doing great aslo. Just figured I would toss another company out there. At that price you really can't beat giving them a try. If you have any questions let me know.

magic 02-20-2012 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skuhleman (Post 1732901)
Hey, I bought mine from www.vvme.com yes they are from china, but I got 55w 5500k low beams and fog lights shipped for 130 buck for my 00 gmc sierra. I have had them for 2 years with no problems what so ever. They are plug and play so installation is extremely simple and here in texas almost everyone I drive past with HID's mine seem to be brighter. I have a couple other buddies who have bought from them as well and theirs are doing great aslo. Just figured I would toss another company out there. At that price you really can't beat giving them a try. If you have any questions let me know.

I'm getting a set of bulbs and ballast from my local guys that will work in both of our rides. I'll mess with that while I wait on projectors for my car. Pretty sure I want projectors and HID. I'll likely move the just HID set up over to my CBR when all said and done.

etakk7 02-21-2012 4:43 PM

I've got the 55W 6000K Retro Solutions HID's on my 2008 Suburban. They are plug and play (ie. not using a relay or separate battery power). I think they look pretty good, I would actually like them perhaps a bit more blue but I am happy with them. I don't get brights flashed at me at all despite the fact that I don't have projector headlights.

magic 02-24-2012 10:17 AM

put the 35w 5000k bulb kit in the wife's VW couple of days ago The light output is so much better. With those bulbs I could really see just how the lights were aimed, and was really poorly. Her stock lights have a decent cut off and beam shape, easy to keep them from blinding traffic and keeping the hi beams usefull.

The projector kit for my ride should show up today. I'm off to Vegas for the weekend so my refit will wait a few days.

ilikebeaverandboats 02-24-2012 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoonman (Post 1732772)
chinese kits seem to be hit and miss bottom line you get what you pay for

I have heard the same. They either work and last, or work for a day and blow.

I would trust these for sure,
http://stealth-automotive.com/index....ategory_id=414

The guy who runs that site has been around on powerstroke.org forever, seems like a real good dude, and tons of members are running them on there superdutys. Comes with 2 year warranty as well.

viking 02-26-2012 1:12 PM

HID's in my wife's 05 yukon denali and my 07 2500 HD duramax and I'll never go back to conventional bulbs. Yes, china shipped direct/ bought from outfit in Cali but at $35 a pair how can you go wrong. Customer service sucks but at that price you can buy 3 for what most charge.

magic 03-03-2012 4:11 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Put the kits in my ride, projectors and 50w 4300k bulbs (hi and lo). Have the alignment pretty dialed, sure I'll fuss with it some more, the passenger side is slightly off horizontal. Should have taking some pics of the headlight assembly pulled apart. Took a little time with the first one, the second one was pretty quick.

brucegoose23 03-04-2012 7:49 AM

Do they make kits to completely change out all bulbs in a 2007 Sierra ? Fog lights low beam and high?

gti2lo 03-04-2012 9:33 AM

Look into www.kbcarstuff.com aka www.xenondepot.com

They have been around since 2001.

I have personally used their digital kits for years on several cars with out issues. You do get what you pay for. Their Philips bulbs are solid and have oem color. I also used their 3000k bulb (yellow) for my fog lights