WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Trick Tips (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3184)
-   -   Off the dock starts (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=330974)

kody_a 05-31-2006 5:12 PM

I have never tried this and was just wandering how hard it was and what all the driver should do to pull someone off the dock. <BR> <BR>Like what should the line tension be like. Also what should I do when doing my first dock start. <BR> <BR>thanks

neosin 06-01-2006 6:54 AM

I don't condone it, but if you feel you want to try it. Start with sitting on the dock. Let the rope stretch out but not tight. Have the driver take off as normal and use your arms to adjust the tension as you start to leave the dock. Like getting up in deep water, sit back until the board planes off. Oh yeah, have someone stand behind you during your first few attempts, and wear a jacket. When you are comfy with that try it standing. After you get your board on your feet, get to the very edge of the dock so that your board is 50/50 on and off the dock. Same set up with the rope. Straight with the rope slack in the water. As the boat starts to pull away and the rope starts to tense the driver should take off like a deep water start. As you feel the tension build in the rope hesitate shortly. The idea is that you want to jump straight up in the air (this helps keep your balance) and let the boat pull you away from the dock. Don't try to jump super high, just enough for the board and fins to clear the dock. And again, have someone stand behind you and wear a jacket. <BR>Have fun, be safe. <BR>Ryan

kody_a 06-01-2006 9:24 AM

Thanks Ryan, I have about two weeks until Im out on the water so I am just tring to get prepared for all the new stuff I want to try and do. This was very helpful. <BR> <BR>Thanks again

garret_s 06-05-2006 6:56 PM

and wear a helmet. Breaking your neck is no good. <BR> <BR>One more think Ryan forgot...keep the rope nice and low to your waist, helps with balance on the take off.

wakebrad 06-06-2006 8:17 AM

Wearing a helmet won't help breaking your neck. <BR> <BR>I do this sometimes at my grandparents house where they have a dock. <BR>For the Driver: <BR>Tell the driver to just idle it forward and get all of the slack out. Then tell them to EASE it up once you get tension. If they slam on the gas when they get tension it will pull you forward and face plant. <BR> <BR>For you: <BR>Stand on the dock and wait for all of the slack to run out of the line. When it's almost all the way out jump forward and lean back a little. If the boat driver eases it up you should be able to be in the air as the line gets tension or in the water already.

garret_s 06-07-2006 10:14 AM

You know Brad, you are probably right about that, but wearing a helmet WILL help if they fall with their head by the dock. Wearing a helmet will keep you from splitting your head open, and probably soften the impact if something does happen. <BR> <BR>Oh, and when you are waiting for the line to tighten, the best time to jump is usually when the last bit of the line pulls out of the water. This is also when the boat driver should accel.

06-13-2006 5:01 AM

You could try-out a jump/dock-start behind a Cableski first. This will give you the same experience but with more flexibility in the tension of the rope.

pittsy 06-13-2006 9:46 AM

dock starting is so easy! jus jump when the rope gets tight and the driver hit the gas!

fly135 06-13-2006 12:28 PM

Everyone is warning about whacking your head against the dock, but not telling you how not to. Bend your knees, keep your center of gravity low, hold the handle close in below your waist, and most importantly **lean forward**. <BR> <BR>Jump as soon as the rope is about to snap tight. You don't need to lean back until you hit the water. Usually the boat driver is going too slow and you're going to sink in the water.

07-07-2006 1:02 AM

if youre doing a standing dock start i usually just jump off the dock right before i can see thatthe rope is about to be tightened completely and stay with the board longways for a second until the boat has enuff speed to keep you up and then turn and do my thing!!!!!