WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakesurfing (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87668)
-   -   Wood veneer wakesurfer (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=793015)

04-26-2012 11:35 AM

Wood veneer wakesurfer

2 Attachment(s)
There are a bunch of different woods in use, Obeechi, Eucalyptus, Walnut and some etc's. Red and blue pins on the transition from the carbon fiber rails to the veneers. Also it's really hard to see, but the rail fin boxes have been carbon'ized. Up close you can see the carbon fiber. Weight, like this without fns and traction is 4 # 1 oz.

brewkettle 04-26-2012 11:45 AM

Fantastic , Jeff

04-26-2012 11:50 AM

Thanks Mark. Didn't it come out nice?

tmill 04-26-2012 3:35 PM

that board is pretty sweet. all the inlay work must have been a real pain.

newwhit 04-27-2012 10:38 AM

BEST........BOARD........EVER......

wait, can you ride it?

04-27-2012 11:22 AM

Thanks guys. We really liked the way it came out.

@ tmill all of the veneer is raw wood, no paper backed veneers, so everything you see is a piece of wood cut and mated to the next piece. Heavy use of veneer saws and staright edges, but also some of the veneer was clamped between two pieces of wood stock and a laminate bit in a router to get nice straight and clean edges. Definately a pain to get done right.

@ newwhit yeah it's designed to ride, but it sure feels like a shame to cover the deck with traction! We've been using a 'boo and carbon fiber for James over the last...wow maybe close to 2 years and wanted to increase the performace of that construction and make it not look so plain. The wood veener we hope is that logical progression. We plan to give it a spin this weekend.

johnboyy7 04-27-2012 12:16 PM

wow. thats pretty. i like it.

Txjole 04-27-2012 12:17 PM

First person to come out with clear traction wins!!!

johnboyy7 04-28-2012 1:36 PM

feel free to ship one to texas for demo.

04-28-2012 2:47 PM

12 Attachment(s)
Some detail pictures.

silver98formula 05-04-2012 7:40 PM

I would buy that in a heart beat!

tmill 05-04-2012 8:12 PM

i cant stop looking at this thing. You really out did yourself on this board. I showed it to some of the guys that work for me(im a PM at a door and millwork shop) they were blown away!

05-04-2012 8:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks guys, it really did come out nice, didn't it? The bookmatched veneer is a very unique look in wakesurfers. Internally there are some goodies that we're still testing and I think it's working well. James sure liked the way it rode, he landed another back big on this board the first time on it.

hawaj 05-10-2012 2:49 PM

Hmm I love this board Jeff! Its almost as beautifull, as my shape with teak veneer :D
strech is the king, this board is exceptional. Brilliant piece of workmanship. What is used as top coat, 2 pac, polyurethane...?

I didnt know that you are such a wood lover :D

06-22-2012 7:11 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I hate working with e.wood Petr, loving the characteristics. The top is epoxy, no polyester or polyurethane. Interestingly glossy for epoxy, huh?

G 2

bradb 06-23-2012 9:26 PM

Looks great! Did you put any varnish on it? I don't think epoxy has any U.V. protection and will yellow in the sun (if I recall correctly from my kayak building days)...

06-24-2012 4:44 AM

Thanks for following along Brad. The veneer is untreated, although it's under a layer of epoxy and fiberglass. This particular board used Resin Research CE epoxy on the external lamination. Resin Research CE and Kwick Kick formulations both contain UV inhibitors. The CE also has what they call an "optical brightener". Certainly the clarity is great. There have been some substantial advances in epoxy formulations since the good old days. :) Thanks again!

bradb 06-24-2012 10:52 PM

Interesting. I'll have to look into that epoxy. On my cedar kayaks we always used to varnish over the epoxy.

I have always wanted to make a surf board and have been considering making one with left over cedar from a kayak project. However I think that I would get much more use out of a wake surfer...

You may have just inspired me to pick up my plane again!
Cheers!